PDA

View Full Version : All about Lactobacillus Acidophilus

Islander
12-15-09, 10:39 AM
By Catherine Lewis, AHJ Editor (http://www.alternativehealthjournal.com/community/contributor/catherine_lewis/29) -- Published: December 14, 2009

Lactobacillus Acidophilus is a homo-fermentative species in the genus Lactobacillus. Strains of this species grow naturally in the mouth, gastrointestinal tract and vagina of both humans and animals. Certain strains of Lactobacillus Acidophilus are said to have probiotics characteristics, with these strains being used in many commercial dairy products. Lactobacillus Acidophilus provides many benefits to your body including the stimulation it gives your immune system, its help with digestion, its ability to prevent infection and the way it helps manage your cholesterol levels.

Lactobacillus Acidophilus got its name from a German gastroenteritis named Ismar Isidor Boas, who founded and studied this species. The name came from “lacto” which means milk; “bacillus,” meaning rod shaped and “acidophilus” because it has acid loving properties. Because of these properties, Lactobacillus Acidophilus is also referred to as “acid-loving milk bacterium” as well as “Boas-oppler.”

The Many Health Benefits of Lactobacillus Acidophilus

Your body consists of both good and bad bacteria. When you get an infection, it’s usually because the bad bacteria have overruled the good bacteria. When you have an ample supply of Lactobacillus Acidophilus in your body, there is less chance for this to happen because every time one of your bad bacteria kill off a good one, L. acidophilus steps in and replaced the good one. This whole process strengthens your immune system so it can continue to help fight infection. Because of these characteristics, L. acidophilus helps to slow down the growth of dozens of disease-causing pathogens.

Lactobacillus Acidophilus (L. acidophilus) has many healthful benefits for your body. It produces an acid in the vagina that helps to control the growth of Candida albicans, a fungus that can cause vaginal yeast infections. This same acid is considered beneficial in both oral and gastrointestinal Candidiasis infections. By keeping the bacteria in your intestines balanced, there is less chance of gastrointestinal infections and disorders so you’re better able to digest your food.

L. acidophilus has been studied for the effect it has on cholesterol. While many of the findings are still inconclusive, it is believed that when Lactobacillus Acidophilus is consumed in enriched dairy products, it will not only lower the blood levels of your total cholesterol but will also help keep down your levels of “bad cholesterol.” This is done by its ability to break down bile in the stomach, thus preventing it from becoming reabsorbed back into the bloodstream as cholesterol.

L. acidophilus is very helpful for the small intestine because it produces many beneficial anti-microbial substances such as acidolphilin, acidolin, bacteriocin and lactocidin along with lactase and vitamin K. The importance of vitamin K is that it helps to prevent blood disease by promoting coagulation of your blood.

Although the small intestine normally consists of the bacteria, Lactobacilli, the probiotic characteristics of L. acidophilus help to keep the bacteria in balance, thus preventing infections like yeast infections or gastrointestinal infections. L. acidophilus is a major component in probiotics, which contributes to why probiotics are considered so beneficial to your overall good health.

Some of the best sources of L. acidophilus can be found in fermented dairy products, with the most common ones being yogurt and sweet acidophilus milk. It is also found in a number of dietary supplements. For more information on probiotic supplementation, visit the Bacteral website. (http://www.nutricell.com/desilva-probiotic-bacteral/)

http://tinyurl.com/yaj6bs7

Maurya
12-15-09, 11:32 AM
Perhaps I have missed something, but conspicuously absent is any mention of the timing for intake of probiotics. Depending upon who we read or listen to, they should be taken before a meal, during a meal, after a meal, or completely between meals on an empty stomach. Any common sense advice from our members on this?

By the way, in reference to the web site indicated, the Mutter Museum is an interesting display of medical oddities from history. (Every building in Philadelphia seems to have a heating boiler, so I get to see some pretty interesting places.) It seems a bit over the top to me to show a picture of the most extreme colon pathology ever seen, as an indication of what is likely to happen to one's body if the products in question are not purchased. This does not aid the credibility of "our side's" point of view.

Islander
12-15-09, 12:00 PM
Heh. That picture of the "bad colon" (naughty naughty colon!) is laughable. Can you see the germs and parasites? Look closely!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There aren't enough eyerolls here to express my heartfelt emotions! Thanks for pointing that out, Maurya!

mellowsong
12-15-09, 03:27 PM
Perhaps I have missed something, but conspicuously absent is any mention of the timing for intake of probiotics. Depending upon who we read or listen to, they should be taken before a meal, during a meal, after a meal, or completely between meals on an empty stomach. Any common sense advice from our members on this?

There is a lot of conflicting info out there, but here's my take on it: Before humans NEEDED probiotics, they got them through consumption of lacto-fermented foods and from the soil that still clung to vegetation; hence logic dictates that you would take them with food. I do not take probiotics, but I eat a lot of fermented foods such as sauerkraut, water kefir and raw milk kefir.

The exception to this would be if you are taking antibiotics (or antifungals if your probiotic contains beneficial yeasts): In that case you would take the probiotic as far away from the antibiotic as possible such as one hour before or 3 hours after even if it means taking it on an empty stomach.

Maurya
12-15-09, 06:24 PM
Thanks a lot, Mellowsong. I eat fermented vegetables daily, whenever I am able to keep them in the house. The only place I have found these would be a place that is quite a few miles away from home, so we do not shop there as often as I might wish to do. Great stuff! I guess my digestion is not the best that a person might have, as I seem to need the fermented vegetables, as well as some probiotics to keep things digesting just fine with me. :) Antibiotics :eek: