PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada Ordered To Provide Nut-Free Zone

Katee
01-09-10, 12:29 PM
"Air Canada has been told to create a special 'buffer zone' on flights for people who are allergic to nuts (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/air-canada-told-to-provide-nut-free-zone/article1422747/). The Canadian Transportation Agency has ruled that passengers who have nut allergies should be considered disabled and accommodated by the airline. Air Canada has a month to come up with an appropriate section of seats where passengers with nut allergies would be seated. The ruling involved a complaint from Sophia Huyer, who has a severe nut allergy and travels frequently. Ms. Huyer once spent 40 minutes in the washroom during a flight while snacks were being served."

Slashdot (http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/01/08/0321228/Air-Canada-Ordered-To-Provide-Nut-Free-Zone?from=rss)

Islander
01-09-10, 09:19 PM
Does anybody think that is being taken to extremes?

Reesacat
01-09-10, 10:03 PM

Yes.

If you have a problem/handicap the airlines should help you, but this is well, NUTZ!

(I just couldn't help it....snicker...)

mellowsong
01-09-10, 11:50 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate: If they said they were banning use of all fragrances on airlines would you think it was extreme?

With that said, there is a limit to how much the environment outside your home can be controlled and it is up to the affected individual to make choices within reason. This is "nutz" as Reesacat said because, while you can control the plane and personnel on the plane, but are you going to search all folks seated in that part of the plane and make sure nobody brought nuts to snack on or force the airlines to lose massive amounts of money and keep those seats empty?

Now that they've done this for nuts, what's next?

Islander
01-09-10, 11:54 PM
Many people travel with handicaps or disabilities or whatever. I'm not against reasonable accommodations and a nut allergy seems like an easy one. Why not keep a supply of crackers, cookies, pretzels, whatever on hand, so that if a passenger on board has a nut allergy, break out the alternatives?
Or lock her in a restroom for the duration of the flight.

Too bad! No peanuts for you!!!

Islander
01-09-10, 11:55 PM
Sorry, my whackadoodle sense of humor has been clawing to get out.

Katee
01-10-10, 03:45 AM
Well, i suppose it seems extreme . . . but . . .

I used to subscribe to Living Without, which is a magazine for folks who are gluten &/or casein free, but it covered other allergy issues as well.

In one article, a lady described how she was visiting her daughter's school one day when they were making a project from a peanut butter-based playdough. She had a peanut allergy & the smell bothered her a little bit but she thought she was "being a baby" & continued to sit in the room. She had only had the problem before when ingesting peanuts & had given them up. But within a short time she was on her way to the ER with anaphylactic shock.

The big problem these days is that folks who have nut/peanut allergies can have extreme reactions & they are not always predictable. They don't always get the same results from subsequent exposure. If someone has a mild reaction they may not know to carry epinephrine to treat the problem.

I realize that this may be an extreme measure on the part of the airline, but think of it this way: If a person has a medical emergency due to something easily preventable, such as not serving nuts/peanuts, why not take a small step & prevent it? If the person allergic to the item has a medical emergency in the middle of a flight, the plane will try to land at the nearest airport, thereby really inconveniencing everyone on board far more than not eating nuts.

As someone who has to eat gluten free, i appreciate the nuts/peanuts on the airplane, but i'm not allergic to the airborne gluten-containing items passed out. I can't see another way to deal with this problem.

mellowsong
01-10-10, 03:35 PM
Well, i suppose it seems extreme . . . but . . .

I used to subscribe to Living Without, which is a magazine for folks who are gluten &/or casein free, but it covered other allergy issues as well.

In one article, a lady described how she was visiting her daughter's school one day when they were making a project from a peanut butter-based playdough. She had a peanut allergy & the smell bothered her a little bit but she thought she was "being a baby" & continued to sit in the room. She had only had the problem before when ingesting peanuts & had given them up. But within a short time she was on her way to the ER with anaphylactic shock.

My point is that you can't control the air. If people are eating nuts a few rows in front of her, she is running a risk. The lady who stayed in the classroom...she made the decision to stay. A person has to take some responsibility for themselves and not expect the government or powers that be in a corporation to protect you.

In my case, I wish they'd ban all fragrances, sprays etc. But I see it as my problem. Yes, they are toxic to everyone, but I can't change the world nor expect the world to protect me. I have to do it for myself even though it means a pretty isolated life. I have to make the choice which environment is safe and LEAVE if the environment turns out not to be. I can just see this ballooning out of control as various allergic/sensitive people demand accommodation also.

However, maybe that would be a good thing as EVERYTHING would be banned, lol and then everyone could travel safely :)

Islander
01-10-10, 03:46 PM
mellowsong (http://www.hawkeshealth.net/community/member.php?u=6), I think you'll find that most workplaces and schools ban fragrances. Airlines? Not yet, as I can attest on my flight from Detroit to Bangor. If I could have been sure who the culprit was, I would have taken him/her aside and enlightened them about those who react to these things...or are sensitive, like me.

Aaltrude
01-10-10, 03:56 PM

In my case, I wish they'd ban all fragrances, sprays etc. But I see it as my problem. Yes, they are toxic to everyone, but I can't change the world nor expect the world to protect me.

I do wish though that my doctors surgery would encourage people not to wear fragrances. The worst offenders are actually the staff. I should at least expect that I can go to the doctor without feeling worse when I come out again.

Katee
01-10-10, 04:25 PM
My point is that you can't control the air. If people are eating nuts a few rows in front of her, she is running a risk. The lady who stayed in the classroom...she made the decision to stay. A person has to take some responsibility for themselves and not expect the government or powers that be in a corporation to protect you.

I understand you can't control the air. And that this lady did make a decision to stay - based on the fact that she hadn't had problems with this before.

MY point is that she can't control the air in an airplane & she doesn't have the option to leave the situation if she has a problem. Then, if she ended up having problems, the whole airplane & everyone on it will be inconvenienced if they have to stop for her emergency care. I think most folks would be willing to forego the peanuts/nuts rather than have that happen.

I agree that folks need to take some responsibility, but there are certain situations where choices are limited.

I get that many of us, my husband & myself included, have a lot of problems with scents & chemicals. Some can cause serious respiratory distress. But i do believe that peanuts/nuts are an entirely different category & one that is not too difficult for the airline to control. They can't mandate that no one wear perfume, strong-smelling deodorant, etc. They can limit the snacks they provide.

Islander
01-10-10, 04:25 PM
Have you brought it up with anyone there? Sometimes it just needs to be pointed out...a gentle nudge...maybe a reference to how many other locations have banned their use.

EmmaPeel
01-10-10, 10:44 PM
Airplane peanuts are nasty anyway! BAN THEM...BAN THEM ALL!!! :D

I think that like all public places request, airlines should request that passengers refrain from smoking, and using scented perfumes, deodorants, shampoo's and fabric scents before boarding. But, having said that, it will never be carried out. People with severe allergies take a huge gamble when they travel. They also pose an issue because they could potentially go into a life threatening, emergency situation at any moment much like any 8.5 month pregnant woman as Katee pointed out.

How can you possibly regulate the kind of scents that people have on them? Some people react to even sitting beside someone who had a cigarette two hours before, or was staying at a hotel where they used a particular soap.

I had the worst asthma attack I had had in many years sitting beside a little granny wearing 4711 perfume on a 5 hour flight. It wasn't even strong, but I puffed up like a vol au vant pastry, and began wheezing. Never reacted like that before.:mad:

I say that if we are to be fair to those with sensitivities we will need to have each passenger take a regulated pre flight, scent free shower and wear special air travel hypo allergenic jumpers....!:p

Kinda like the one I'm <====wearing except in 100% organic cotton velour...;)

ooooo....sounds a bit like the movie Space Odyssey!

EmmaPeel
01-11-10, 02:53 PM

Didn't someone also say something about naked flights.....???:D

...okay, I can't resist....ahem...there seems to be a lot of 'nuts' on this flight....hehee

mellowsong
01-11-10, 04:10 PM
Katee, I understand what you are saying and yes, nuts are an easy fix :) I wish scents etc were limited but certainly not around here. For example...the VA hospital has electric automatic air fresheners in all bathrooms. I have complained as high as the hospital director to no avail. I can't hang out at the VA hospital 3 or 4 hours and not use the bathroom. The endocrinologist saw the result not long ago. I have never worked anywhere where scents/fragrances are banned. Both outside hospitals I've been to have various forms of air fresheners in the bathrooms. I went to the VA clinic this morning (not the big hospital) for lab and the smell in there was so strong, I started choking within seconds. They told me to go stand outside (it was 20 degrees and all I have is a lightweight jacket) and they'd come get me when it was my turn. There were about 10 people in front of me. I about lost it when she said that. I had to tell HER that a possible solution was to find me a chair in an office or something OR make the fool wearing the crap go stand outside. They found me a seat. I have gotten so I loathe leaving my house. Because of this morning, I have now had to use my inhaler a few times, am coughing uncontrollably, have a headache and palpitations from the inhaler and will feel like hell for a few days. Nobody around her gets it including the doctors :(

Emma, where did you find a pic like that, lol? Too funny!

I would LOVE to see everything banned.

EmmaPeel
01-11-10, 05:07 PM
Katee, I understand what you are saying and yes, nuts are an easy fix :) I wish scents etc were limited but certainly not around here. For example...the VA hospital has electric automatic air fresheners in all bathrooms. I have complained as high as the hospital director to no avail. I can't hang out at the VA hospital 3 or 4 hours and not use the bathroom. The endocrinologist saw the result not long ago. I have never worked anywhere where scents/fragrances are banned. Both outside hospitals I've been to have various forms of air fresheners in the bathrooms. I went to the VA clinic this morning (not the big hospital) for lab and the smell in there was so strong, I started choking within seconds. They told me to go stand outside (it was 20 degrees and all I have is a lightweight jacket) and they'd come get me when it was my turn. There were about 10 people in front of me. I about lost it when she said that. I had to tell HER that a possible solution was to find me a chair in an office or something OR make the fool wearing the crap go stand outside. They found me a seat. I have gotten so I loathe leaving my house. Because of this morning, I have now had to use my inhaler a few times, am coughing uncontrollably, have a headache and palpitations from the inhaler and will feel like hell for a few days. Nobody around her gets it including the doctors :(

Emma, where did you find a pic like that, lol? Too funny!

I would LOVE to see everything banned.

Up here in Canada every hospital, every clinic, most every restaurant, grocery store has a sign posted requesting that they are PERFUME FREE ZONES and that you may be asked to leave if you do not comply.

I personally have asked certain people to wait out of the building because they are so strong smelling. I have even had to report colleagues who STILL come to work with so much scented body wash/lotion on themselves that I gag and choke when I have to be in our very small treatment room with them.

In one of my previous places of employment, one of the nurses had a particular penchant for those plug in pieces of garbage and had 'installed' them in every patient's room... Had to report it, and had them removed post haste....!!

Felt like a B-**** for doing it, but they just didn't get it.

Up here, it isn't 100% consistent in all public places, but at least its a step in the right direction!

If you can believe it, my 82yr old father sent the picture to me this morning! A real cracker he is! :p

Reesacat
01-11-10, 06:15 PM

Didn't someone also say something about naked flights.....???:D

...okay, I can't resist....ahem...there seems to be a lot of 'nuts' on this flight....hehee

So what's the airline slogan-
Fly the VERY FRIENDLY Skies with us?!!

Samurai
01-11-10, 10:59 PM
My personal "ban wish list" is
DIESEL FUEL VEHICLES!!! :mad:

PPARGammaGirl
01-22-10, 01:27 AM
Didn't Air NZ stop serving nuts a while back???