PDA

View Full Version : GMO shopping guide

Islander
03-25-10, 01:38 PM
Jeffrey Smith says in Huffpost, "Although a list of non-GMO brands won't help you figure out if your produce is genetically modified, the great news is that there are only 4 GMO veggies or fruits at this point: papaya, but only from Hawaii and no where else; some zucchini and yellow squash, and some corn on the cob. For these, unless it says organic or boasts a non-GMO sign in the store, eating them is a gamble. It could be GMO."

To download a pdf of GMO products, go here:
http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/SG/Home/index.cfm

For other resources, look here:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/plu-codes-do-not-indicate_b_473088.html

mellowsong
03-26-10, 02:11 PM
My computer froze trying to download the PDF but not sure if rice is listed anywhere. If it isn't beware that the vast majority of rice in the US is GMO and even organic companies have major contamination of their crops.

Islander
03-26-10, 02:30 PM
It's pretty much a brand-name guide, and though it's thorough, I couldn't find rice anywhere. I agree, though: the U.S. rice crop has been contaminated in a number of locations, TX being the worst, I think.

He does mention sugar: "In addition, GM sugar beet sugar recently entered the food supply. Look for organic and non-GMO sweeteners, candy and chocolate products made with 100% cane sugar, evaporated cane juice or organic sugar, to avoid GM beet sugar.
Sugar: Anything not listed as 100% cane sugar" can be GM.

EmmaPeel
03-26-10, 04:04 PM
This morning I had a young fellow tiling my bathroom shower. (bare with me..) He couldn't have been more than 28yrs of age and had just came to the city to get married. He was from Vancouver. We started a discussion on GMO and he didn't even know what it was...

I 'enlightened' with a few facts, and he was shocked as no one had ever told him. He has a 5 year old son, and another on the way.

The look on his face was something I hadn't seen in a while.
I gave him the list, and he thanked me....he will now be reading labels and only buy local.

:) That made my day:)

Maurya
03-26-10, 05:30 PM
EmmaPeel, sometimes a circumstance like this seems to make it all worth while. :)

Islander
03-26-10, 05:32 PM
Ahhhh...the teachable moment!

EmmaPeel
03-26-10, 08:08 PM
Yip...it was scummy Maurya and Isander.... Gotta LOVE IT!! :):):)

mellowsong
03-31-10, 02:20 PM
WTG Emma :)