PDA

View Full Version : Ayurvedic Gum Health with Coconut Oil Massage

DizzyIzzy
04-05-10, 09:11 AM
Hey guys, just thought I'd share a tip I picked up a few weeks ago from a friend who is an Ayurvedic physician... we were talking about oral health, dentists, and toothpastes (as you do), and she mentioned something that I thought sounded rather cool. So I've been doing it since then, for a few weeks, and wow... all I can say is my mouth has never, ever felt so healthy!!

The trick:

After brushing your teeth every morning and night, rub your gums with organic coconut oil. Just get some on your finger and massage it in, top and bottom.

It's an Ayurvedic principle, or so I'm told - both coconut oil and massage are used extensively in Ayurveda so I'm assuming this is right! - and makes good sense for two reasons.

1 - Coconut oil is a known remedy for periodontal disease, as it's antibacterial and kills the bugs that cause decay and gum disease.

2 - Massage will stimulate circulation to your gums, meaning stronger gums, less wibbly-wobbly teeth, and an increased ability for your body to access any pockets of bacteria with blood and sweep them away again.

Anyway, as I said, my mouth feels incredible since doing this. So much cleaner - but not in a nasty, toxic, chemical way - my breath is fresher, things taste better, my teeth feel stronger and healthier, and gum massage feels nice too haha. Very keen to see what the dentist says next time I go!!

Plus my lips get the remainder so they're nice and juicy and plump again, muahaha.

And you get all the extra benefits that come with consuming coconut oil, which we all know is awesome stuff.

So there you go. Hope that helps someone. :)

Islander
04-05-10, 11:15 AM
This practice is similar to what's called "oil pulling." The idea is to take a modest quantity of coconut oil into the mouth, swish it around, hold it in there for 20 minutes and then spit it out. Supposedly it draws out bacteria.

DizzyIzzy
04-05-10, 08:21 PM
20 minutes?! Woooow. :D

I'm all for it now. I just love coconut oil though... for cooking, for massage, for skincare... apparently it makes a good toothpaste mixed with oregano oil and baking soda too, which I'm going to try just as soon as I get some oregano oil.

mellowsong
04-06-10, 12:00 PM
20 minutes?! Woooow. :D

I'm all for it now. I just love coconut oil though... for cooking, for massage, for skincare... apparently it makes a good toothpaste mixed with oregano oil and baking soda too, which I'm going to try just as soon as I get some oregano oil.

Do you have a specific recipe? I have all ingredients and am out of toothpaste, lol. Hopefully you'll post an answer quickly or I'll just mix it up :)

Katee
04-06-10, 12:35 PM
I do a 40/60 baking soda/xylitol mix for toothpaste. I tried adding some peppermint flavoring but it never really worked.

Since i do miss the flavor, i bought Miessence toothpaste (which is rather pricey) & use a tiny bit of that with the baking soda/xylitol. But the dry mix works fine by itself. I suppose you could try a bit of the mix with coconut oil. ?

Oregano oil is a bit too strong for me to use as toothpaste adjunct.

mellowsong
04-06-10, 06:53 PM
I do a 40/60 baking soda/xylitol mix for toothpaste. I tried adding some peppermint flavoring but it never really worked.

Since i do miss the flavor, i bought Miessence toothpaste (which is rather pricey) & use a tiny bit of that with the baking soda/xylitol. But the dry mix works fine by itself. I suppose you could try a bit of the mix with coconut oil. ?

I love the Miessence toothpaste. That's a great idea to mix it and stretch it out :) I've never used xylitol. I'm going to have to play around tomorrow and concoct something.

DizzyIzzy
04-07-10, 02:37 AM
I don't have a recipe (I'm one of these people who should've reeeeally just trained as a mad scientist... ha!), but I'll just play around with it... probably take a blob of coconut oil - it's solid here now because it's mid-autumn - and mix in enough baking soda to thicken it, and add a drop or two of oregano oil... and just wait till it's the consistency I like.

And then I'll repeat with a bigger lot and put it into a little lip balm jar. :D

Aaltrude
04-07-10, 02:54 AM
I have never been able to find any oregano oil.

DizzyIzzy
04-07-10, 05:47 AM
I haven't seen any... but I am determined to find some!! Will let you know when I do.

Aaltrude
04-07-10, 06:00 AM
The Medical Herbalist I am seeing has never heard of oregano oil.

DizzyIzzy
04-07-10, 06:24 AM
We covered it in aromatherapy and aromatherapeutic first aid last year... it's a potent antimicrobial/anthelmintic etc from what I remember, which is why it's good in mouthwashes (and presumably toothpastes too). I'm not sure what the dose is though, I think probably only a drop or two as it's very strong.

Found some here... google is great, lol. Though they are capsules, but you could always break them open. I'm after the EO though in a bottle, not capsules.

http://www.healthandherbs.co.nz/Health-Library/Infections--Cold--Flu/Unleash-the-Power-of-True-Oregano-Oil/default.aspx

Lotus EOs do it, though I'm not thaaat struck on them (I've noticed a few times their range includes oils that aren't from the therapeutic version of a plant, but you wouldn't know unless you're familiar with the therapeutics and the correct species and latin name!)
http://www.lotusoils.co.nz/CatalogueRetrieve.aspx?CatalogueID=57424

Or there's iHerb...
http://www.iherb.com/Oregano-Oil?gclid=CLnUjsqu9KACFYEwpAodb1KnwA

Katee
04-07-10, 12:07 PM
I have oil of oregano in a small bottle with a dropper. I use it on occasion when i'm fighting an illness. It is incredibly strong. Even diluted in water i have a hard time getting it down. When i first read that you wanted to use it with toothpaste, i shuddered & can't imagine using it that way.

I wonder how expensive it would be for me to mail it to you? Honestly, tho, yuck to using it with a tooth brush.

:rolleyes:

Reesacat
04-07-10, 12:56 PM
You can put essential oils into a capsule (get empty capsules at health food store) with a few drops olive oil to dilute.

DizzyIzzy
04-07-10, 08:50 PM
Haha, I'm one of these freaky people who just loves strong oils and herbal extracts and such like... I think I'm a born herbalist. Everything that everybody else gags at and can barely get down I'll usually go back for seconds on. So I'm sure it'll be ok. I remember liking the oregano oil we had in class, though it was a while ago... ;)

mellowsong
04-07-10, 11:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that www.iherb.com (http://www.iherb.com) ships almost anywhere but I might be wrong. Anyway, they have oil of oregano. I too actually like it. I use it mixed with coconut oil for yeast in skin folds.

Dizzy what you suggested is pretty much what I'm going to do. I may add a bit of stevia and peppermint oil too depending.

DizzyIzzy
04-07-10, 11:36 PM
Yep, iherb ships to NZ as far as I know, I've got friends who use them.

Let me know how it goes, mellowsong - I've got a huge tube of toothpaste to use up yet. Though perhaps it'd be a good idea to experiment BEFORE I run out of toothpaste, lol.

Aaltrude
04-07-10, 11:45 PM
I'm pretty sure that www.iherb.com (http://www.iherb.com) ships almost anywhere but I might be wrong.

Thank you for the iherb link mellow

Katee
04-08-10, 12:03 AM
. . . I'm pretty sure that www.iherb.com (http://www.iherb.com) ships almost anywhere but I might be wrong. Anyway, they have oil of oregano. I too actually like it. I use it mixed with coconut oil for yeast in skin folds. . .

The only thing i've found that helps that problem for me so far is Myrrh oil. It is expensive (& i hope the bottle lasts the rest of my life!) but it did a good job for me when nothing else did.

mellowsong
04-08-10, 10:32 PM
Ok, the mad scientist went to work today. To the best of my memory here is my concoction and it is pretty darn good, lol. My teeth and mouth also felt very clean after using this.

4 Tablespoonsful (60cc) melted coconut oil

Baking soda: I did not measure....just whisked it in with a fork a little at a time until the consistency seemed right.

6 drops oil of oregano

4 drops Thieves essential oil. (from Young Living...just threw it in)

6 drops peppermint essential oil

5 drops stevia extract

Anyway, I was pretty satisfied with this.

mellowsong
04-08-10, 10:33 PM
The only thing i've found that helps that problem for me so far is Myrrh oil. It is expensive (& i hope the bottle lasts the rest of my life!) but it did a good job for me when nothing else did.

I did not know that about Myrrh. Hmmm, I have a string of myrrh beads I bought just because they smelled so good. Wonder if I could make my own oil since I'll never use them as beads?

EmmaPeel
04-08-10, 11:03 PM
Ok, the mad scientist went to work today. To the best of my memory here is my concoction and it is pretty darn good, lol. My teeth and mouth also felt very clean after using this.

4 Tablespoonsful (60cc) melted coconut oil

Baking soda: I did not measure....just whisked it in with a fork a little at a time until the consistency seemed right.

6 drops oil of oregano

4 drops Thieves essential oil. (from Young Living...just threw it in)

6 drops peppermint essential oil

5 drops stevia extract

Anyway, I was pretty satisfied with this.

Mellow...I tried this and it was great! Equal parts baking soda and coconut oil mixed in with 5 drops of oregano oil. Used it after brushing and my mouth feels great! I bet a few drops of clove oil would be amazing too!

mellowsong
04-09-10, 08:41 PM
Mellow...I tried this and it was great! Equal parts baking soda and coconut oil mixed in with 5 drops of oregano oil. Used it after brushing and my mouth feels great! I bet a few drops of clove oil would be amazing too!

Yeah the Thieves is a mixture of cloves, lemon, rosemary and eucalyptus. I just love the smell and the taste.

EmmaPeel
04-10-10, 03:54 PM
Yeah the Thieves is a mixture of cloves, lemon, rosemary and eucalyptus. I just love the smell and the taste.

I have all those essential oils! And many more...I think I will mix meself up some Thieves oil...:D

Aaltrude
04-19-10, 08:07 PM
I have now found some oregano oil in NZ. It is supplied by Solgar though it is in capsules rather than a dropper bottle.

EmmaPeel
04-20-10, 01:04 PM
...the oil is very strong so be careful!

Remember my unfortunate episode of spilling the bottle on my bedroom carpet a few months back?! Smelled like diesel fuel, I swear, it was so strong!

(Interesting thing is though, when I applied the baking soda x4 and vacuumed it up for the following 24hours, I noticed that my vacuum has remained sweet smelling and odor free ever since...never happened before!)