PDA

View Full Version : Cost?

Doyle H
04-09-10, 04:55 PM
I've got to believe that organic foods cost more. Which ones are better deals?

Aaltrude
04-09-10, 05:13 PM
I've got to believe that organic foods cost more. Which ones are better deals?

The best deal, if you have the time and resources, is to grow your own. I don't live in the US therefore I am unable to provide any info relevant to where you live.

Reesacat
04-09-10, 06:07 PM
I watched the Dr. Oz show on this very same question and the experts said start with organic apples, organic potatoes and organic lettuce since Americans tend to eat these the most and get most of their pesticide residue from these foods.

Sometimes you can get a community organic produce share type-co-op that you pay monthly fee and get whatever is in season fresh picked and delivered.

mellowsong
04-09-10, 08:26 PM
Yes, it costs more but you will make up a lot of the cost by not eating fast foods, by getting healthier and off meds, things like that. It isn't easy but between a local farmer, the farmer's market and Costco, I manage probably a 90% or better organic and/or free range diet.

If you can grow your own that will go far in helping with cost.

Get to know your local farmers. Many small farms don't use the terribly dangerous pesticides you find on commercial vegetable. Ask them what they use and look it up. Many farmers at farmer's markets use organic practices but can't say they are organic because the cost of getting and maintaining certification is so high. Do a search here for the top 10 pesticide laden foods and start there with organic.

Islander
04-09-10, 09:01 PM
Doyle, my monthly income is a fraction of your family's, yet during the winter I buy organic. Repeat: it's all about priorities. Processed crap-in-a-box is destroying your health. That includes sodas. Over the long haul you will pay in medical fees what you may have saved by buying clean fresh wholesome foods. And think what you'll save in liquor bills!

Go to http://www.foodnews.org and print out the dirty dozen/clean 15. I know people who have snipped out the square and laminated it. When your budget's tight, you can choose which produce is the more important to buy organic.

HealthNutMarie
05-14-10, 10:58 AM
The best deal, if you have the time and resources, is to grow your own. I don't live in the US therefore I am unable to provide any info relevant to where you live.

Agreed. Organic fruits and veggies can be crazy expensive. If you grow your own stuff (minus the use of miracle gro, pesticides), you'll save SO much money. :)