PDA

View Full Version : This is why I love colostrum

DizzyIzzy
06-17-10, 12:45 AM
(Put this under superfoods rather than other supplements, even though it's in supplement form, because it's a whole food technically...)

Ok, so thought I'd share my story, since I can't remember being so crook as I have been over the past few days, and I reckon this stuff has saved my leg.

Right, you'll probably have seen my 'arghhhh ringworm' thread under the Q&A board.

Well, what started as a little pink ring of ringworm started looking a bit nasty late Thursday night. I didn't think anything more of it, as I'd swapped from using the manuka oil I had been using on it to a pharmaceutical anti-fungal cream that afternoon. So I assumed it was just a bit of inflammation from the cream.

On Friday morning I woke up, and it was starting to look worse. The pink was spreading a little, and the ring was now raw, and looked a dark red colour - sort of like the skin had been eaten away at and the capillaries were exposed. I figured I'd probably just scratched it in the night, as it had been incredibly itchy, and perhaps it was a reaction to the brand of sticking plaster I'd swapped to.

So that day I put on an anti-fungal/skin-soothing poultice of herbs (using sterile muslin and well-washed herbs, in a base of anti-fungal coconut oil with manuka oil to kill any greeblies). At this point, the infection had already set in, but I thought I'd have one more shot at warding it off, and if it didn't work I'd see a doctor the next day.

By Friday night, it was evil. I'd worn tights all evening at our housewarming, so hadn't really seen it, but when I took them off I just about had a heart attack. It had morphed, in the space of just a few hours, from that raw and sore 1cm-diameter ring into this large, 8cm and growing patch of dark-purple skin that looked like it had the potential to necrotise. I showed my flatmate, who just about fell over as well, and declared she was taking me to the doctor first thing in the morning.

I would have insisted she take me then and there, but I think I was in denial about what was happening, and probably also quite a bit tipsy after drinking all evening. And she was in no fit state to drive either. So I covered it up, climbed into bed, and hoped like hell it was just the alcohol making it look worse than it was. At this point, I also took 6 or 8 or 9 Alpha Lipid colostrum capsules (can't remember how many exactly, I just grabbed a big handful and gulped them down). Each one has 455mg colostrum powder with 91mg equivalent immunoglobulins.

The next morning, I was very, very relieved to see it hadn't spread beyond what it was the night before. I was half-expecting to see it with trails shooting up to my lymph and the centre ring necrotising or ulcerated, but incredibly, the infection seemed to have held off some.

So I got up, and had a shower, and tried not to panic, and went to the doctor. He was very jovial, but immediately diagnosed cellulitis - which we all know is very dangerous and nasty and you definitely do not want - and put me on a broad-spectrum antibiotic (500mg augmentin and ammoxycillin) with a corticosteroid/anti-inflammatory/anti-bacterial/anti-fungal cream to apply topically, and told me to draw around it and make sure it doesn't spread, with a warning that if it did to call an ambulance as I'd need IV antibiotics!!

By that afternoon, despite starting the ABs, I started getting feverish. I gulped down a huge list of supplements, as in the other thread, but then the next day cut it back to just spirulina, vitamin C, and loads of the colostrum, plus a herbal mix I took for a few days but have now stopped for a while. The fever went on for days, but the infection never spread, and by Monday morning the ring was healing; the scab came off Tuesday. By Wednesday morning I attempted uni, but forgot my morning colostrum. And the nausea hit like a freight train. I went home, felt horrendous, slept all afternoon, but thankfully after gulping down what I'd forgotten that morning and then some, the nausea disappeared and hasn't returned.

I've also had a big, healthy appetite the whole time, and the large, scary-looking skin hasn't hurt once. Despite these antibiotics apparently being notorious for screwing with your digestive system, causing vomiting and diarrhoea, and me having five people so far tell me they refuse to take one of the ones I'm on!!

So I swear the colostrum is what's helped curb the spread of it initially, heal it up so quickly, and has kept my appetite healthy and large so I was getting the nourishment needed to heal faster - and given me the intestines of steel needed to avoid the vomiting and diarrhoea I should quite likely have.

Thank goodness for antibiotics, and thank goodness for colostrum.

That is all. Thought I'd share, because even though I've always been a huge fan of the stuff, even I am very, very impressed. I swear all the stuff I took on the Friday night is what stopped it turning into septicaemia or whatever.

And if anybody wants gory pictures, you'll have to email me, cuz I ain't puttin' that on here, it's flippin' gross!! :p

Aaltrude
06-17-10, 01:52 AM
I'm pleased to hear it has healed well and you are OK, Izzy:)

Maurya
06-17-10, 11:11 AM
OMG, Izzy! This really has gotten scary! Good for you to be willing to try anything that could help. May you be well and happy from now on, until forever! :)

EmmaPeel
06-17-10, 01:00 PM
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT DIZ...I NEED TO SEE PICTURES!!! Please send to Emma! You know you can't describe this experience and not expect me to be intrigued!! lol

Anyway, I am so glad you are feeling much better and on the mend! I, too have grappled with the integration of alternative/natural curatives and mainstream interventions...when does one know when the other is the most appropriate? Well, I think you did spot on in determining when to seek mainsteam medical. Infections are nothing to trifle with, and when you saw things getting 'evil' you didn't mess around. Cellulitus can be very dangerous and can go systemic before you can say, " ...why does my leg look like I've been playing at FIFA and got kicked by filthy cleats??":(:mad:

I know many people who haven't accepted the integration of natural and mainstream...and we all know how dangerous that can be. I've seen more examples than I can count of head injuries, infections and other inflammatory issues that absolutely needed appropriate adjunctive medical intervention. Especially when things are starting to get worse.

Each of us has Free Will and we can all make decisions and choices for our own lives, n'est pas? I think you have raised a good point here. When do you make the choice that what you are doing isn't enough?

;) GOOD ON YA...oh wise Diz

Reesacat
06-17-10, 02:28 PM
What Emma Said:)! So glad you are doing better:)

Islander
06-17-10, 02:34 PM
That's funny. I left a comment earlier and it has disappeared. Damned administrator....

Anyway, Izzy, I echo what everybody has said. Glad you had the discrimination to know when to see an M.D. before it went ballistic!

Reesacat
06-17-10, 03:05 PM
That's funny. I left a comment earlier and it has disappeared. Damned administrator....

Anyway, Izzy, I eco what everybody has said. Glad you had the discrimination to know when to see an M.D. before it went ballistic!

Early Post-heimers?.....:p

Aaltrude
06-17-10, 05:18 PM
NOW YOU'VE DONE IT DIZ...I NEED TO SEE PICTURES!!!

Cellulitus can be very dangerous and can go systemic before you can say, " ...why does my leg look like I've been playing at FIFA and got kicked by filthy cleats??":(:mad:

;) GOOD ON YA...oh wise Diz

I'd like to see the photos too Izzy.

A friend of mine was hospitalised for three weeks with Cellulitus, part of which he spend in ICU. Definitely not something to muck around with. Great to hear you determined exactly the point that conventional medicine was the best alternative.

DizzyIzzy
06-17-10, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I almost wonder if I left it a bit late tbh... was a very close shave, to be honest I'm still a little bit in shock over it, it's been pretty traumatic. Gonna go get me some flower essences I think while I'm at uni. Eeeek.

Aaltrude
06-17-10, 05:34 PM
Sounds like you need a bit of time to regain some equilibrium. Take care Iz.

mellowsong
06-18-10, 09:53 PM
Wow, glad you are ok and took the antibiotics! Take care of yourself and give yourself plenty of time to heal. I see no reason not to post the pics on here, lol :)