PDA

View Full Version : Retro Dr. Pepper has HFCS

Islander
08-08-10, 08:23 PM
Just Because That Dr. Pepper Has Retro Packaging Doesn't Mean It's Got Real Sugar In It
By Chris Morran on July 29, 2010

A few weeks back, we wrote about how Dr. Pepper is celebrating its 125th birthday with retro packaging and a real-sugar formula. However, a number of Consumerist readers have written in to complain that they purchased what they thought was real-sugar Dr. Pepper, only to find out it was the same old HFCS-containing soda in old packaging.

Reader Neil sent in this photographic evidence of a 12-pack with the anniversary packaging, but without an ounce of real sugar to be found. A quick check of the ingredients list finds High Fructose Corn Syrup right there near the top.

Consumerist can confirm -- mostly because we've already consumed a few 12 packs of it -- that there are non-HFCS Dr. Peppers out there. So please check that you packaging says "made with real sugar" on the outside, and it couldn't hurt to double-check the ingredients.

Do you think this is a deliberate attempt by Dr. Pepper to trick people into thinking they're buying real-sugar soda?

http://tinyurl.com/2wa83rx

Maurya
08-08-10, 08:28 PM
Gee, d'ya think?! :eek:

Samurai
08-09-10, 07:29 PM
Sorry, but I have to call B.S. on this one. DP's birthplace is Texas, and I see the DP in glass with cane sugar in it all the time.
Of course, you can buy the HFCS version in cans, it's the glass that has the sugar.
This guy simply took a photo of the DP offered with HFCS in it.

And by the way, it is super tasty. Not good for you; but very delicious. :)

Islander
08-09-10, 07:52 PM
At one time or another I've had a taste of just about every soda, including Dr. Pepper. Well, maybe not Fanta, but everything else. The only soft drink that ever appealed to me was old-fashioned root beer. Mmm. Haven't had one in years, but those sure were good!

mellowsong
08-09-10, 08:09 PM
If people know enough about HFCS to be avoiding it, then why, pray tell are they NOT reading labels?

Islander
08-09-10, 09:23 PM
Well somebody read the labels on those cans! (I tried to copy the photo but she no work).

mellowsong
08-10-10, 07:47 PM
Well somebody read the labels on those cans! (I tried to copy the photo but she no work).

What I was getting at was the article said people bought the stuff and then got home, saw the HFCS and started complaining....well read the label in the store!!!

Samurai
08-10-10, 08:10 PM
I agree, Mellow.
I have but one vice left; Cokes. But I know that when I do have them, I have actively made the decision to buy something that is not the best for my adrenals. But to complain about HFCS vs. cane sugar is like buying a "light cigarette" or mixing rum with Diet Coke to save calories.... what is the point?