PDA

View Full Version : Sulfites & Salad Bars

Katee
09-02-10, 12:45 PM
I saw a new doc on Tuesday (good thing, will discuss it elsewhere). I'd gone to Soup Plantation for lunch right before. After a while i began to feel dizzy & light headed. It could have been the stress of discussing my life with someone new (has happened before, & happens in other circumstances, too).

The doc mentioned that Soup Plantation uses sulfite spray on their various offerings. Said he'd discussed it with them & they say they can't back off because of food safety.

This concerned me quite a bit as i react to sulfite rather severely (extreme migraine, usually). One of my favorite places to eat is the salad bar at Sizzler (the only salad bar in our town). But they have begun to list allergy info on their mixed salads (usually, wheat & milk, but sometimes sulfites so i avoid those items).

My husband & i looked it up & found that Sizzler used to use sulfites on their produce at large, but quit long ago in the late 80s. The info did state that some salad bars still use it, although the copyright was 1989, so that info may be dated as well.

I spent time yesterday trying to determine if Soup Plantation was one of those places that still use sulfites. No info from the parent company. The person i spoke with didn't know. The email resulting from that conversation said they don't have a list & i would have to check with each individual restaurant.

So i made a call to the facility where i ate, & it was a difficult call. The person i spoke with seemed to think i was making a complaint or that i wanted to report a claim to having been harmed or injured & kept apologizing to me. I kept explaining i was NOT making a complaint, & that i don't believe i was harmed or injured, but needed allergy information for future reference. It was difficult to convey this information to me. He kept telling me they had to wash the produce, they couldn't put it out direct from the farm. I simply kept asking the ingredient list on the wash they used. It took a long time before he finally told me that they use a wash called Fit (http://www.tryfit.com/atHome/aboutFit/FAQs/).

So, this is the list: Purified water, oleic acid and glycerol (from vegetable sources), ethyl alcohol (from corn), potassium hydrate (from basic minerals), baking soda (from basic minerals), citric acid (from corn starch and molasses), and distilled grapefruit oil.

Now, i generally know what most of these items are. But i also know that they can create their own chemical creations. Can someone knowledgeable at chemistry tell me if these things are likely to combine & create sulfites? It doesn't seem likely to me.

Also, this article on Sulfite Allergy (http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm) seems to indicate that the FDA banned the use of sulfites on salad bars.

So, any wisdom on this? I am aware that the salad bars i frequent are not organic, but they are my favorite places to eat. If i'm going to be eating out, that is where i'd rather be. Is it likely that any salad bars are still using sulfites wholesale?

Samurai
09-02-10, 01:08 PM
Souplantation (it's one word) is not the most clean restaurant I have been to. I notice that when the workers clean about the bar, they dip the rags in bleach. I honestly wonder how much bleach I get in my mouth when I am there.
I am unsure about the Sulphites; but aren't they based out of CA? Surely, the HQ are there?

EmmaPeel
09-02-10, 02:18 PM
Katee, you are correct, the FDA stated that restaurants are supposed to only use sulfites at 10 ppm in any product and it must be clearly labeled.
Ten ppm is apparently the amount least likely to produce symptoms.

I think it would be very hard to avoid sulfites with all the concern over salmonella and e.coli these days.

I highly doubt that this FDA recommendation is being stringently followed and monitored.

Here's an article I found from an allergist on this subject.

http://allergies.about.com/od/foodallergies/a/sulfites.htm

I too am also very allergic to sulfites as they trigger my migraines. I have made a choice to rarely eat out, and to avoid anything that is uncooked or undercooked, nothing from a packet, jar, bottle, box or can... I just can never be sure what is in anything these days and I have no confidence that a 30year old restaurant manager is going to stick to any FDA mandate. Sorry if that sounds ageist, but I have seen far too much...:(

mellowsong
09-02-10, 07:23 PM
Souplantation (it's one word) is not the most clean restaurant I have been to. I notice that when the workers clean about the bar, they dip the rags in bleach. I honestly wonder how much bleach I get in my mouth when I am there.
I am unsure about the Sulphites; but aren't they based out of CA? Surely, the HQ are there?

A few years ago, several of us were eating at Ruby Tuesday's which has a really nice salad bar. I watched someone come out with her rag and bucket of dirty water and proceed to wash the counter area around the salad bar and wipe down the plastic shields. Then, she used the very same rag and bucket of water to wipe down all the spoons/utensils at the salad bar and the rims of all the containers.

I called the manager over and pointed out what she had done. He talked to her, then offered us a free meal. Sorry, but we left and did not take him up on his offer.

EmmaPeel
09-02-10, 09:58 PM
A few years ago, several of us were eating at Ruby Tuesday's which has a really nice salad bar. I watched someone come out with her rag and bucket of dirty water and proceed to wash the counter area around the salad bar and wipe down the plastic shields. Then, she used the very same rag and bucket of water to wipe down all the spoons/utensils at the salad bar and the rims of all the containers.

I called the manager over and pointed out what she had done. He talked to her, then offered us a free meal. Sorry, but we left and did not take him up on his offer.

EEEEUUUUUWWWWW......I would have left too.:eek: