PDA

View Full Version : FDA insists on more research; no GM salmon approval yet

Islander
09-24-10, 04:57 PM
from <info@freshthemovie.com>, one of the mailing lists I get, dated 9/22/10 at 2 p.m.

This just in: The FDA agreed with public comments that there's significant concerns about genetically engineered salmon, and it must go through a rigorous public review before further consideration for approval.

"The FDA agreed that the small sample sizes, incomplete data and poor scientific assessments in the research done on genetically modified salmon warrant concern.

"Dr. Gary Thorgaard, the only member of the Committee with expertise on fisheries, called on FDA to conduct an Environmental Impact Statement, a sentiment echoed by other members of the Committee during the discussion period. The FDA will publish the final environmental assessment that they have thus-far kept from the public and open it up for the required 30-day public comment period. This only happened because of our tremendous protest and could end up meaning slowing down this process by years.

"In light of the numerous unknowns raised throughout the two day meeting, FDA officials announced that any approval will require post-market review and data requirements, but we must make sure that they also require proper regulation and safety assessments."

Maurya
09-24-10, 07:38 PM
Like, thumbs up, whatever... even though it is a stop gap measure, we will be thankful for what we can get, in today's world.

Islander
09-24-10, 08:33 PM
If we're lucky, this may take years to be resolved.

mellowsong
09-24-10, 10:04 PM
from <info@freshthemovie.com>, one of the mailing lists I get, dated 9/22/10 at 2 p.m.

"In light of the numerous unknowns raised throughout the two day meeting, FDA officials announced that any approval will require post-market review and data requirements, but we must make sure that they also require proper regulation and safety assessments."

I read this as saying...well, we will approve it but make sure that it is reviewed after it's been on the market awhile. I don't see any real triumph in this...sorry.

Islander
09-24-10, 11:27 PM
I read this as saying...well, we will approve it but make sure that it is reviewed after it's been on the market awhile. I don't see any real triumph in this...sorry.

I think you misunderstand. They have NOT approved. They demand more research. There will be another 30-day comment period. And when it is approved, if it is approved, there will be follow-up reviews, regulations and ongoing safety assessments. Which means, the editors claim, that final approval could take years.

Look what happened to alfalfa and sugar beets. There has been a new director and some shuffling at the FDA, and I think we are seeing a slow turning of the tide.

mellowsong
09-25-10, 07:00 PM
I think you misunderstand. They have NOT approved. They demand more research. There will be another 30-day comment period. And when it is approved, if it is approved, there will be follow-up reviews, regulations and ongoing safety assessments. Which means, the editors claim, that final approval could take years.

Look what happened to alfalfa and sugar beets. There has been a new director and some shuffling at the FDA, and I think we are seeing a slow turning of the tide.

I hope so. I didn't really misunderstand but let skepticism get the best of me, lol. Saw the word post-market and figured all the rest was just trying to make it sound like they cared.

Islander
09-25-10, 11:57 PM
Stand by. We live in interesting times.