PDA

View Full Version : Best Air Purifier

EmmaPeel
10-02-10, 02:50 PM
I am in the market for an air purifier/cleaner. I think the temp. suite we live in has had cats prior, and I am very allergic. We have had the windows open 24/7 since we moved in, but now as the weather is cooling, the windows may not be left open at night...(below 0, not good for pipes).

Need something that is not going to cost me $thousands. Under $500 CND would be nice.

Objective:
Clean molds, dander, dust, odor, etc.
Preferably no filter, I hate buying replacements. Ionic?

Idea's anyone??:)

mellowsong
10-02-10, 03:21 PM
There are 2 possible options; either a HEPA filter unit or what I describe below. If you get something with a HEPA filter, make sure it is TRUE HEPA. You can get good ones under 200 dollars but the filters are very expensive to replace. The more expensive purifiers have cheaper replacement filters. My file on purifiers is in my old dead computer unfortunately so I don't have brands handy. I do recall that ionic purifiers were not very effective.

There is one product I'm familiar with called AirFree. Basically it works by zapping all particulate matter with heat. I have a small unit a friend gave me that I use in my bedroom in the winter. It seems pretty effective. It gives off too much heat for me in summer. It is an older unit but maybe something like this would be the answer for you.

Here's one site that sells them:
http://www.airpurifiersdirect2u.com/search.aspx?manufacturer=2

Islander
10-02-10, 05:02 PM
I have mercola's Way Healthier purifier which works with some sort of UV light, I think. I rarely buy his products but that, and the Omega juicer, seemed like winners when I did the research. Problem: in 12-18 months the light needs replacing and that's a bit pricey, though you can get them cheaper than mercola sells them for. Shop around.

mellowsong
10-02-10, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I'd forgotten about his. Does it give off visible light? I know, stupid question I'm sure, lol.

Islander
10-02-10, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I'd forgotten about his. Does it give off visible light? I know, stupid question I'm sure, lol.

No, the light is invisible to the human eye. Bats and mosquitoes can probably see it. Vampires too.

Okay, enough fun. It gives off a pale blue light which you might see in an otherwise dark room if you approached and looked through the slots. It isn't very bright. Doesn't get hot either.

mellowsong
10-02-10, 09:47 PM
No, the light is invisible to the human eye. Bats and mosquitoes can probably see it. Vampires too.

Okay, enough fun. It gives off a pale blue light which you might see in an otherwise dark room if you approached and looked through the slots. It isn't very bright. Doesn't get hot either.

I might just have to look into that :) Thanks! I have a nice HEPA I got at a super price at Costco, but in just a few months...already needs filter. They are expensive. Going to vacuum it for now but would love something that didn't need maintenance. One more question...how many square feet does it cover?

EmmaPeel@Work
10-02-10, 11:07 PM
Thanks for all of your input! I also do not like to bother with filters, batteries etc...but I have been doing a bit of research on this tonight, and some say that the filterless ones are no good. HEPA might be more expensive and involve vacuuming from time to time to save $$...but apparently it is better.

Not thrilled about what I read in the other thread regarding the 'odor' that came from some of the ionic ones...I am super sensitive to odors.

Will look up Mercola's and do the exchange...prolly not bad since we are almost on par...:)

I like the idea that it doesn't emit heat...that is the LAST thing I need at night...wink wink....

Anyone else got any suggestions? Patty?

mellowsong
10-02-10, 11:10 PM
Anyone else got any suggestions? Patty?

Ummmm scroll down...I am mellowsong :D

EmmaPeel
10-03-10, 01:10 AM
yes, mellowsong...Emma's brain trying to multi-task again...;)

Samurai
10-03-10, 12:17 PM
Mellow,
Do HEPA filters take care of airborn mold?
Tina Weena :confused:

mellowsong
10-03-10, 03:55 PM
Mellow,
Do HEPA filters take care of airborn mold?
Tina Weena :confused:

Yes, just check the specs on what you are buying, keep the filter cleaned and replace when called for.

EmmaPeel
10-03-10, 07:34 PM
I have mercola's Way Healthier purifier which works with some sort of UV light, I think. I rarely buy his products but that, and the Omega juicer, seemed like winners when I did the research. Problem: in 12-18 months the light needs replacing and that's a bit pricey, though you can get them cheaper than mercola sells them for. Shop around.

Islander, I looked into this one and it arrives at around $390 Cnd before
S & H and Duty...Looking at around probably just under $500 when all is said and done, I figure. Do you buy your filters from Mercola too?

I was wondering if there might be a similar model up here in Canada that I can pick up here?

mellowsong~ thanks for the link to that site. They are WAY less expensive, but if you say the filters are expensive, it makes me wonder which is the best bet.

But thanks for the information everyone!........ it makes the decision easier. I was debating on getting a ionic, but after reading recommendations, decided against it.

Reesacat
10-03-10, 08:05 PM
If you can find one to keep vampires and crazy people away, go for it!;)

EmmaPeel
10-03-10, 08:28 PM
If you can find one to keep vampires and crazy people away, go for it!;)
I found this one...

"The Vampire Vanquishing Vaporizer & Crazy Carbon Cleaner"

$49.95
includes filters and bullets :)...silver ones that is...

Aaltrude
10-03-10, 09:09 PM
Its a pity our air purifier isn't available to you - pure fresh rural country air wafting in through open windows and doors:)

mellowsong
10-03-10, 09:56 PM
mellowsong~ thanks for the link to that site. They are WAY less expensive, but if you say the filters are expensive, it makes me wonder which is the best bet.

But thanks for the information everyone!........ it makes the decision easier. I was debating on getting a ionic, but after reading recommendations, decided against it.

The link I gave you is a system that does not use filters at all. Here's more info:

Airfree Onix 3000, Platinum 2000 and P1000 air sterilizers are lightweight and feature an adjustable soft blue anti-stress light. Using Airfree's exclusive new patented technology these air sterilizers are truly a breakthrough in home air quality, with a small footprint at an affordable price! The new and improved sleeker-looking models cover a larger area. These completely silent Airfree sterilizers deal with serious mold problems, and destroy all organic matter such as pollens, cat dander, bacteria, and viruses. Using heat in a ceramic core—a unique patented approach—it incinerates and destroys contaminants. 70 - 90% reduction of micro organisms occurs in just 10 days. There are no expensive filter changes and rest assured, the manufacturer backs up all its claims with well-documented research. Get rid of unwanted microorganisms in your home using Airfree's safe and silent new technology. At 2 air changes per hour, the Onix 3000 covers up to 650 sq. ft., the P2000 covers up to 550 sq. ft. and the P1000 covers up to 450 sq ft.

Islander
10-03-10, 11:17 PM
Islander, I looked into this one and it arrives at around $390 Cnd before
S & H and Duty...Looking at around probably just under $500 when all is said and done, I figure. Do you buy your filters from Mercola too?

I was wondering if there might be a similar model up here in Canada that I can pick up here?

Emma, price has gone up. I know I didn't pay that much for it, it would have been beyond my means. And I never did replace the bulb. They say 12-18 months...I may have let it go 2 years before I unplugged it because the dusty bird was gone, it was spring, the doors & windows were open.

With winter coming on I may just shop around for a replacement bulb as cats, birds and woodsmoke all become more intense.

EmmaPeel
10-04-10, 03:11 PM
The link I gave you is a system that does not use filters at all. Here's more info:

Airfree Onix 3000, Platinum 2000 and P1000 air sterilizers are lightweight and feature an adjustable soft blue anti-stress light. Using Airfree's exclusive new patented technology these air sterilizers are truly a breakthrough in home air quality, with a small footprint at an affordable price! The new and improved sleeker-looking models cover a larger area. These completely silent Airfree sterilizers deal with serious mold problems, and destroy all organic matter such as pollens, cat dander, bacteria, and viruses. Using heat in a ceramic core—a unique patented approach—it incinerates and destroys contaminants. 70 - 90% reduction of micro organisms occurs in just 10 days. There are no expensive filter changes and rest assured, the manufacturer backs up all its claims with well-documented research. Get rid of unwanted microorganisms in your home using Airfree's safe and silent new technology. At 2 air changes per hour, the Onix 3000 covers up to 650 sq. ft., the P2000 covers up to 550 sq. ft. and the P1000 covers up to 450 sq ft.
Mellow song, I found the Onix 3000 here at my local wholesalers for $300 +tax. Need to get it soon as the construction is starting and they are erecting a contaminant barrier at the construction end. I want to make sure that when the weather is too cold for open windows we can still breath. We have weather stripped the door, and will be using a door 'snake' at all times to keep out particulate matter.

Thanks for you help. This looks like the best, least expensive option.

My only concern is the heat emission issue. I want something that isn't producing excessive heat. In the winter, as you said, it is fine, but in summer furgittaboutit...can't use it.

:)

EmmaPeel
10-04-10, 09:45 PM
Boy you weren't kidding when you said it was quiet!! Silent more like it!!

Will let you know if it does the job within the next few days.

mellowsong
10-05-10, 09:29 PM
Boy you weren't kidding when you said it was quiet!! Silent more like it!!

Will let you know if it does the job within the next few days.
Glad you found one :) It seems to do a good job in my bedroom. The one I have is older and pretty small but I could feel a difference. I just cannot run it in summer, lol.

Samurai
10-05-10, 09:40 PM
I just cannot run it in summer, lol.

Why not?

Islander
10-05-10, 10:05 PM
I think she said earlier that it put out a lot of heat.