PDA

View Full Version : On Manuka Honey

Katee
10-12-10, 02:45 PM
I've been a big proponent of Manuka honey for a couple of years now. It is known to kill MRSA skin infections and is actually used in hospitals in New Zealand, Australia, and England. I've read it has now been approved by the FDA for use in US hospitals, but i've not heard that it has been implemented.

You can Google Manuka honey to find many of the sites that (sell) list the benefits of this honey. Here is one such site: Manuka Online (http://www.manukaonline.com/). From this site, a table of the benefits (i couldn't get the table to copy):

Internal Uses

Sore Throat
Stomach Ulcer
Stomach Pain
Gum Disease
Acid Reflux Disease
Aches and Pains
Arthritis
Heartburn
Diarrhea
Constipation
IBM

External Uses

Athlete's Foot
Ring Worm
Insect Bites
Acne and Rosacea
Eczema and Dermatitis
Rashes
MRS/ Staph Infections
Chronic Wounds
Pressure Sores
Surgical Wounds
Psoriasis
Cold Sores
Candida Albicans
Burns
Nail Fungus
Skin Ulcers

A couple of you know that last week i aspirated a sunflower seed. My lungs are my weak spot and have been for years. I ended up having a procedure (bronchoscopy) to remove the seed, which they could not find. Evidently i coughed it up but the damage was already done.

Because of my history of bronchio-asthma, after a minor assault such as saline drip from allergies, i develop a deep cough which can last for weeks or months. With this, i was prepared for a long term cough.

I did not fill the scripts from the doctor because neither are drugs i can tolerate. Instead i began treating with herbs from home. However, the one thing i did that seemed to relieve the cough the most was to take 1/2 teaspoon of Manuka honey as soon as a cough attack hit. I also used this honey, or a locally-grown, raw honey in tea. After a couple of days, i dropped the other remedies because this one seemed to be the most effective.

It has been almost a week since the aspirated seed. My cough is almost gone, what is left is rather minor. This is almost miraculous to me as generally such a cough would last a month or more. Manuka honey is not listed directly as a remedy for cough or respiratory issues, but i certainly recommend giving it a try.

Islander
10-12-10, 03:19 PM
I've not priced it on line; I have seen it locally and it's way out of reach of my limited budget. I seriously would like to try it because nothing seems to shake this cough. I gave up on the inhaler the allergist prescribed because I have no significant allergies and because, in a month's time of using it as precribed, my lung capacity had not increased by a single molecule and I was still coughing. I do have local honey in the house but rarely use it because I'm controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise, as y'all know. But now, Katee, I'm tempted to try...

Aaltrude, if you read this, aren't there different grades or ratings for this product? Can you expand on that?

ETA: Katee, did you read about the man who inhaled a pea? In the dark, moist environment of his lung, it actually sprouted. I can't remember whether they went after it or not....you'll have to google, sorry.

Aaltrude
10-12-10, 03:32 PM
Aaltrude, if you read this, aren't there different grades or ratings for this product? Can you expand on that?

The usual rating used for Manuka honey is UMF (Unique Manuka Factor). The higher the better. For medicinal purposes it is best to try and get one that is at least 16+ though the higher UMF honeys are more expensive.

http://www.umf.org.nz/Unique-Manuka-Factor.html

A more recent rating system is MGO which is supposed to be more accurate but even in NZ we don't see Manuka hony rated this way - probably because most people don't know what it means.

http://www.mgomanuka.com/home.cfm

Katee
10-12-10, 03:40 PM
ETA: Katee, did you read about the man who inhaled a pea? In the dark, moist environment of his lung, it actually sprouted. I can't remember whether they went after it or not....you'll have to google, sorry.
Nope, i'd not heard that. Inhaled pea (http://www.wcnc.com/video/featured-videos/Inhaled-pea-sprouts-in-mans-lung-100350474.html). Interesting. I'm hoping that they truly were right when they found no seed in me. They probably are as the cough is improved.

On the honey, i think Active 15+ or more is good. They have an active level much higher (i've seen up to 36+), but it is much, much more expensive. Mine is Y.S. Organic Bee Farms, 15+ Active (http://www.vitacost.com/YS-Organic-Bee-Farms-Raw-Manuka-Honey-Hi-Active-15) ("High Active"), 12 oz/340 g for about $18 US at my local health food store. Generally this lasts me a long, long time; i think my first jar with about 2 oz left in it is 3+ years old. It is going faster now that i'm using it more for the cough.

Islander
10-12-10, 03:48 PM
I hate to use up disk space just to say thank you to you both for all the helpful info, but if I didn't, you would think I was taking you for granted — which I most certainly am not. So here it is, an official thank you.

Reesacat
10-12-10, 03:51 PM
I'm so glad you are feeling better, Katee-and thank you for sharing your valuable experience.

Katee is the one who convinced me to use it for cuts and burns, and I am so grateful she told me about it. I occasionally slice a finger and using the Manuka honey has kept me out of ER!