PDA

View Full Version : 'Cause Baby It's Cold Outside...' Books

EmmaPeel@Work
12-12-10, 08:52 PM
Okay.....I'm settling into this frigid arctic winter :eek:and need some suggestions.

I am looking for something new to curl up with this winter, as I am finishing my current reading...

Anyone make any suggestions regarding any more of McCall-Smith's books in addition to the next one coming out in March?? Anything else??

Maurya
12-12-10, 10:08 PM
I just finished reading the first of the Lisbeth Salander books, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and now have started The Girl Who Played With Fire. In addition there are the Martin Beck series of Swedish detective books, which evidently have been republished. Good thing, as I had about every second one in the series, the originals from the 1960s, but now I have filled in the others from the new reprinted ones, and am back at it again. Really I will have to retire some day, to do all of this reading...

Islander
12-12-10, 10:30 PM
Emma, my librarian recommended a different McCall series to me. I forget, I'll have to get back to you.

I had seen the movie The Godfather, but never read the book. Picked it up on impulse just to have a work of fiction on hand. I don't know what your tastes are but I find this compelling reading. If you, too, have seen the movie, this sort of fare may not be your cuppa tea.

Reesacat
12-12-10, 11:07 PM
What do you like? Mystery? Romance? Humor?
I enjoy the Aunt Dimity mysteries by Nancy Atherton, hilarious mystery series by Donna Andrews featuring a lady blacksmith Meg Landsdowne, and Nora Roberts Irish trilogies (series Jewels of the Sun, and the Born series).

Betsy
12-13-10, 06:29 AM
Maurya, thank you for the Martin Beck recommendation. I also liked the Lisbeth Salander series (The Millenium Series, I recently found out) and look forward to trying another Swedish series.

May I recommend a website to those who like book series? It's called FictFact (www.fictfact.com). You sign up, follow one or more series, and it will give you a list of all the books in order. You mark the ones you've read, and your home page will show the next one to read. It also tells you if there's anything about to be published in the series. The site doesn't bury you in email, either. I think I get one email a month, reminding me to enter the monthly drawing for an Amazon gift certificate.

I have no connection to the site other than being a happy user. :)

Reesacat
12-13-10, 08:55 AM
Maurya, thank you for the Martin Beck recommendation. I also liked the Lisbeth Salander series (The Millenium Series, I recently found out) and look forward to trying another Swedish series.

May I recommend a website to those who like book series? It's called FictFact (www.fictfact.com). You sign up, follow one or more series, and it will give you a list of all the books in order. You mark the ones you've read, and your home page will show the next one to read. It also tells you if there's anything about to be published in the series. The site doesn't bury you in email, either. I think I get one email a month, reminding me to enter the monthly drawing for an Amazon gift certificate.

I have no connection to the site other than being a happy user. :)
Thank you so much for the site, Betsy:)
Welcome to the forum-we have a new member section where you are welcome to tell us a bit about yourself and what health interests you have.

Betsy
12-13-10, 10:06 AM
I'll hop on over there and introduce myself properly. ;)

Islander
12-13-10, 11:51 AM
May I recommend a website to those who like book series? It's called FictFact (http://www.fictfact.com).

Thanks! You just made my day!

EmmaPeel@Work
12-13-10, 07:58 PM
Wowzer! Thanks gals! Okay, yes I do like well written mysteries, non-fiction and fiction, but I always like them humorous or quirky....yes, yes, just like ME! HA!

Thank you and welcome to Betsy and Woozie!! Looking forward to many happy interactions here!

...just ordered the Isabel Dalhousie series(first 3 books) from Alex McCall Smith, Jon Stewart's "Earth"... AND...wait for it....

THE 3 SET DVD OF NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY! Should be here before Christmas! YIPEE!!!:D:D

Islander
12-13-10, 09:16 PM
I do like well written mysteries, non-fiction and fiction, but I always like them humorous or quirky....yes, yes, just like ME! HA!

Ok, both these guys are recently deceased, but they are at the top of their class for both of the above:

• Donald Westlake: any/all of the Dortmunder novels. Dortmunder is a sad sack type of criminal who plots elaborate schemes with his small band of regulars, only to see something go spectacularly wrong at the end. Quality is erratic; most are top-notch and some are ROL (roar-out-loud).

• Robert B. Parker: the Spenser novels are the best, though the Jesse Stone series is well done too. Not quite as lighthearted as Westlake, and good solid mysteries. Tragic that he has written his last novel.

• Still living and hopefully, producing great mystery suspense thriller crime fiction: John Sandford. It's important to read these in order as the protagonist's life and adventures progress on a timeline.

• Absolute Number One best mystery suspense thriller crime writer: Lee Child. He must have 8-10 out at this point. Not necessary to read in order, though you might be pleased to see his inimitable skill progress from earliest to latest. Not much in the way of funny lines; definitely quirky plots, real page-turners, and hugely satisfying in the way he smacks bad guys around. He's my hero. That is, both the protagonist (Jack Reacher) and Child.

Happy reading...that should hold you for a while!

Maurya
12-13-10, 09:23 PM
Sigh... I guess I will have to start building a whole new bookcase, devoted to just the mysteries. A long series, from the early 1960s would be the Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte mysteries, mostly set in Australia, by the author Arthur W. Upfield. Don't know if these are still in print or not; my copies are very old. [No wise cracks about the owner of the books, from the peanut gallery] :D

Reesacat
12-13-10, 09:34 PM
Those sound interesting-I'm going to check the local library to see if they are in circulation.

EmmaPeel@Work
12-13-10, 11:46 PM
Oh Pegg...Maurya...Reesacat...Betsy....what have you done to me????

Now I must get them all...must get...them ...all....

Islander
12-13-10, 11:51 PM
Back away from the keyboard, Emma. You can only read one at a time anyway. Good heavens, you must have a library in Winnipeg, probably underground....

EmmaPeel@Work
12-13-10, 11:53 PM
Libraries frustrate me because I am like a kid in a candy store who can never decide what she wants and spends hours and hours loading up her arms....;)

(Good thing it's a quiet night over here...really quiet...okay, back to my charting...breaks over...Hahahhahaa....)

BTW...I never read one book at a time. Always have two or three on the go...like to read from all different area's!

Currently reading Talbot's Mystery and Physics; Forster's Passage to India and The Death and Life of Nichola Goddard by Fortney

Almost done...

Betsy
12-14-10, 08:14 AM
Islander, I love the Prey series by John Sandford. I think his latest is one of the books I put on the family Christmas list. In Kindle, so I can read it everywhere!

Islander
12-14-10, 09:03 AM
Islander, I love the Prey series by John Sandford. I think his latest is one of the books I put on the family Christmas list. In Kindle, so I can read it everywhere!

Yes, I should have specified the Prey series!

Katee
12-14-10, 12:19 PM
I just read this post: A book on every bed (http://lifewithoutbaby.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/a-book-on-every-bed/). I think this is a wonderful idea. We will be giving a book to several children in our lives (we don't have any kids ourselves). I'm not sure the books will be on their beds, but, there will be books.

But now i'm looking for some recommendations! One of the kids we plan to get things for is a 12 year old boy. Any recommendations for something that might catch his attention and draw him in?

He recently saw the newest Harry Potter movie, and i asked if he was going to read the book. He looked at me as if i'm a little crazy, and said, "Nah. I'll just wait for the next movie."

So, any suggestions? Thanks.

Betsy
12-14-10, 12:44 PM
Goodness, when I read the first Harry Potter book I thought about how much fun it would have been to have read it as a child. Silly boy!

I have a grandson who will be 11 in the spring. Last year he asked for books from the childrens' series by Rick Riordan. Percy something. I don't know if that would make them too young for a 12-year-old, but that's all I've got.

I loved books at that age. I still remember going to the library every week during the summer and taking out 3 or 4 books. Then I'd stop at the pharmacy across the street and spend part of my quarter allowance on penny candy. I had a route home through the woods where I could stop and have a reading party by myself. :D

bmc65
12-14-10, 01:09 PM
Betsy you mentioned getting books on Kindle. I LUV my new Kindle (just had to say).
Thanks for the book recommendations everyone. I'm always looking for a new read. I think the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will be next for me.

Reesacat
12-14-10, 01:21 PM
Gift certificate to book store? I know he won't have a book to read on the bed for Christmas, but when my nephews and nieces hit their teens I gave them gift certificates or cash so they could choose what they wanted.

Betsy
12-14-10, 03:39 PM
I don't actually have a Kindle. I read the books on my iPad or iPhone using the Kindle app. I guess that wouldn't work in bright sunlight, but if I go to the beach I'll take a paperback. Since the phone is with me 99% of the time, I always have a book available.

Aaltrude
12-14-10, 03:45 PM
I don't actually have a Kindle. I read the books on my iPad or iPhone using the Kindle app. I guess that wouldn't work in bright sunlight, but if I go to the beach I'll take a paperback. Since the phone is with me 99% of the time, I always have a book available.

The only ebook reader I have is ereader on my Treo 680 smart phone. The only ebooks I read are the free classics. I do prefer a hard copy book. There is nothing like having a shelf full of reference books. I am concerned that ebooks are more "fragile", more throw away - easy to lose.

Betsy
12-14-10, 03:56 PM
eReader is how I started, years ago on my Palm PDA. I have their app on my phone and iPad also. I got a lot of books over the years from their site and from Fictionwise - until all my favorite authors disappeared. They must have had some sort of disagreement with the publisher(s).

I do have a lot of paper books also. Ebooks are mostly fiction, and paper books are mostly non-fiction.

Aaltrude
12-14-10, 04:20 PM
I do have a lot of paper books also. Ebooks are mostly fiction, and paper books are mostly non-fiction.

Likewise, though I do add a number of fiction hard copy books from garage sale purchases.

LabDoc
12-14-10, 09:38 PM
Have been enjoying the Kathy Reichs 'Bones' books, so much better than the crap TV series. Emma, may appeal they are humorous and quirky and interesting and if you are interested in forensics, they are almost a teach yourself manual.

bmc65
12-15-10, 05:42 AM
I love the feel of a book in my hands, but 800 sq feet of living space and three people..... I LUV my kindle. OOH and thanks for the recommendation Lab Doc, I love forensics too.
Nothing like curling up with a good book while on break at 3am LOL.

Betsy
12-15-10, 05:46 AM
LabDoc, have you tried the Body Farm series by Jefferson Bass? The main character is based on the real-life creator of the Body Farm research facility at the University of Tennessee. I just recently read the first three in the series, and they're good. I think I have two to go. I like the "Bones" series, too. Both series remind me of the Scarpetta series, which I loved for the first 6-8 books until they got too weird for me.

LabDoc
12-15-10, 08:19 AM
Thank you Betsy, will go hunt them up. Saw a show on TV 6 months or so ago about the body farm - good thing I didn't watch it on Smellavision.

mellowsong
12-15-10, 11:41 PM
LabDoc, have you tried the Body Farm series by Jefferson Bass? The main character is based on the real-life creator of the Body Farm research facility at the University of Tennessee. I just recently read the first three in the series, and they're good. I think I have two to go. I like the "Bones" series, too. Both series remind me of the Scarpetta series, which I loved for the first 6-8 books until they got too weird for me.

I love the Body Farm books! On Scarpetta, I've found the last several almost boring. Apparently, Patricia Cornwell was sued for stealing actual autopsy reports and using them in her books. The change in the books is due to this suit. I don't know all the details. Kathy Reichs, the real like Bones, is another of my favorite authors. Yes, I love forensics and medical mysteries.

Reesacat
12-16-10, 01:01 AM
I love forensics-thanks for the recommendations! Put them on library list:)

Woozie
12-16-10, 11:25 AM
Wowzer! Thanks gals! Okay, yes I do like well written mysteries, non-fiction and fiction, but I always like them humorous or quirky....yes, yes, just like ME! HA!

If you like humorous and quirky, you'd love Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series.

Reesacat
12-16-10, 11:37 AM
If you like humorous and quirky, you'd love Harlan Coben's Myron Bolitar series.
Oh they look like fun from the blurb I read-on the Library List! Thank you Woozie:)
January looks like so much fun-reading, cooking new GF recipes, and hanging out at HH!
I Haz A Happy!

Betsy
12-16-10, 03:31 PM

Thanks for bringing that up. I had the first book of the series on my Amazon wish list, probably because you mentioned it before. I just bought it. :D

mellowsong
12-16-10, 06:15 PM

I've recently discovered him. Unfortunately my local library is tiny and I'm having a hard time getting any of the mentioned series even by interlibrary loan. I can only get books from libraries in my county. I have to pay to get from anywhere in the state :(