PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Virginia

Artemis
12-20-10, 09:39 AM
Hi, I'm Arte, Woozie told me this was a good place to hang out, so here I am.

I'm female, 51, seriously introverted. I'm dealing with some endocrine issues, mainly chronically low cortisol, Hashi's, and a rough menopause. I took BHRT for a while, ending last March, hoping my symptoms would abate on their own, but they're not, really, and I'm considering going back on the BHRT.

I'm about as liberal as a person can be, which means I'm disgusted with the medical establishment, big pharma, big ag, and don't even get me started on the whole insurance debacle in the U.S. All I want is to be left alone to eat what I want (clean, safe food), in peace.

Also, I raise Nigerian dwarf dairy goats, keep a few chickens, and am trying to build a self-sufficient homestead on three acres in rural Virginia. I live with CB, the most beautiful man on the planet.

Maurya
12-20-10, 10:13 AM
Welcome Artemis! We are looking forward to your comments on the forum! :)

LabDoc
12-20-10, 11:15 AM
Welcome Artemis,great to have you on board, hope you have a wonderful Christmas

bmc65
12-20-10, 11:30 AM
Welcome Artemis, I think you definitely came to the right place.

Reesacat
12-20-10, 12:11 PM
Welcome, Artemis:) I am so glad you joined the forum!
We have a Q and A section where you can ask questions, and an organic kitchen/gluten free recipe section also that Islander set up.

Anything you need just ask.

Aaltrude
12-20-10, 02:30 PM
Welcome Artemis. Great to have you on board.:)

Artemis
12-20-10, 06:35 PM
Thanks, everybody! I am reading as much as I can. I love the gluten-free section. I may have some recipes to share.

I like it here!

Reesacat
12-20-10, 06:44 PM
Enjoy! Jump in on anything that interests you.
I think going gluten-free did more for my health (other than going as organic as possible with food) than anything I have done in the past 5 years or so.
I like Elana's Pantry for baking GF:
http://www.elanaspantry.com/

It's so dang cold here in West Virginia I plan to do some baking starting January 2!

highlander
12-20-10, 07:21 PM
Welcome Artemis.
I'm new too and have some endocrine issues as well. I look forward to reading your posts.

LabDoc
12-20-10, 07:35 PM
Welcome Highlander, good to have you here. 'I see the Force is strong with this one Master... he has come from the Dark Side'

EmmaPeel@Work
12-20-10, 11:49 PM
Welcome Artemis! Girl, have you come to the right place! Whhhoooohoooo!:)

...just curious ladies...what other site are ya'll from?

Artemis
12-21-10, 07:17 AM
Welcome Artemis! Girl, have you come to the right place! Whhhoooohoooo!:)

...just curious ladies...what other site are ya'll from?

Woo and Betsy and I (and a couple others who may show up here too!) led a forum for a while that used to be called Hormone Geeks. We're in the process of shutting it down right now. Before we started our own we "hung out" at BLC, and before that some came from LCF and some came from ALC. We were all dieters and weightlifters with hormone issues. We've taught ourselves an awful lot in order to heal. It's been a ride, let me tell you.

Islander
12-21-10, 09:53 AM
Hi Artemis! I'm still having server issues but I did finally manage manage to read this thread. Welcome! Wander around the site clicking on things; you'll soon feel right at home. Do notice the Private Messages (PM) in the upper right of the window.

We're planning to have the traditional Champagne Initiation for new members on New Year's eve. You may want to wear your foul weather gear....

Betsy
12-21-10, 12:09 PM
Arte!! So glad you unlurked! *smooches*

DizzyIzzy
12-21-10, 06:51 PM
Welcome aboard!! :D

mellowsong
12-21-10, 07:51 PM
I have no idea why, but this is the first time this thread has been visible. I couldn't figure out what Islander was talking about this morning, lol...now I know. WELCOME Artemis and looking forward to hearing from you.

EmmaPeel@Work
12-21-10, 07:55 PM
Woo and Betsy and I (and a couple others who may show up here too!) led a forum for a while that used to be called Hormone Geeks. We're in the process of shutting it down right now. Before we started our own we "hung out" at BLC, and before that some came from LCF and some came from ALC. We were all dieters and weightlifters with hormone issues. We've taught ourselves an awful lot in order to heal. It's been a ride, let me tell you.

So happy you are here! Sorry, I am an idiot...what's BLC, LCF and ALC??

I am currently having some hormone issues myself...peri-menopause has been causing me the most grief over the past several months. I am recovering from pooped adrenals, and I am pretty convinced I have FM/CFS.

....going gluten free has made a HUGE difference in most all of my symptoms.

bmc65
12-21-10, 10:08 PM
Perhaps and alphabet soup data base would help. I don't know what FM and CFS is either.

Aaltrude
12-21-10, 10:17 PM
Perhaps and alphabet soup data base would help. I don't know what FM and CFS is either.

FM = Fibromyalgia
CFS = Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

EmmaPeel@Work
12-21-10, 11:42 PM

Good idea! An abbreviation data base...my bad for assuming that everyone would know...:)

Betsy
12-22-10, 10:01 AM
BLC = Beyond Low Carb, a weightlifting/low-carb forum

LCF and ALC are huge low-carb forums; I'm not sure of the full names. LCF might be Low-Carb Friends.

The people who started BLC had been banned from one of the other LC forums for daring to suggest that people lifting weights might actually need to eat some carbs, and I'm sure there were some other differences of opinion.

bmc65
12-22-10, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the clear up. I'm not always so slow on the pick up.

Reesacat
12-22-10, 11:29 AM
One of the things I enjoy about HH is that if you don't understand something you can just ask for clarification and you don't get dinged or yelled at.
Feel free to ask-I do all the time:)

bmc65
12-22-10, 11:44 AM
Reesacat, that is one reason I was almost prepared to torch my membership on Merc yesterday. I'm really liking HH so much better. - Then the KING had to go and post that silly article yesterday, (opened the door wide open for the credibility police) not to mention the poor soles who are actually worried that they have a greater risk for disease, and are at this moment hysterically measuring their fingers from every conceivable angle.
Then my more rational side (I think I have one) took over and was like, "the KING does important work, like with vaccines and fluoride, and has the resources to possibly make things happen. He may be a bit of a big-head at times but he's still worth supporting". - So, instead of ripping him on his own site, I decided to do it here..... behind his back..... noble I know.
:sarcasm:

Reesacat
12-22-10, 12:03 PM
I came to the same conclusion-I think what bothers me most is the tone at Merc. If the article on length of the index finger was presented as "here is something interesting scientists are taking a look at" I wouldn't be making fun of it.
But men just have to compare the size of freaking everything....sigh......

Islander
12-22-10, 02:48 PM
You two both make good points, but one of the most important ones is summed up in Reesacat's last sentence. No one at that other site has a sense of humor.

Artemis
12-22-10, 04:35 PM
Betsy, thanks for explaining; my post seems to have disappeared.

We are familiar with folks on other forums lacking a sense of humor. We're pretty funny, though. :D

Reesacat
12-22-10, 05:57 PM
I'm sorry about your missing post-the same thing happened to Islander yesterday. The host switched servers and there have been a couple of glitches.
If it happens again just send PM (private message) to Islander who is the Administrator.

Y'all are very funny-I was getting a wineglass out for some sparkling water and thought of Betsy drinking her Kombucha at work out of her Grandmother's wineglass and cracked up again!

Laughter is good medicine!

highlander
12-24-10, 04:54 PM
the poor soles who are actually worried that they have a greater risk for disease, and are at this moment hysterically measuring their fingers from every conceivable angle.

I loved your post saying that guy spent too much time measuring his finger!