PDA

View Full Version : Causes of skin aging

Islander
01-16-11, 06:29 PM
http://www.lef.org/newsletter

Although there are many diseases that can affect the skin, the most common problems that we all have are the effects of our exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun over time. Having a tan has, in the past, been a sign of good health. In the last 10 years, with the changes in the ozone layer in the upper atmosphere, it is clear that the effects of UV radiation from the sun are much more dangerous than originally thought. There are many causes for the accumulated cellular damage in the skin that we call aging. Among these are the oxidative processes and related free radical damage that result from UV sunlight, smog, toxins, cigarette smoke, X-rays, drugs, and other stressors. Young skin is also exposed to these potentially damaging changes, but when we are young, there is sufficient cellular energy (ATP) for DNA repair and cell renewal. Enzymes that provide antioxidant activity such as SOD and catalase are readily available. As we age, there is increased wear and tear, while at the same time the energy for cell repair and renewal is diminished and the antioxidant enzymes are less available.
Skin cancer typically occurs in skin that is photo-aged. Wrinkles, laxity, uneven pigmentation, brown spots, and a leathery appearance characterize photo-aged skin. In contrast, chronologically aged skin that has been protected from the sun is thin and has reduced elasticity, but is otherwise smooth and unblemished.
The following factors can accelerate skin aging:

sun exposure
first- or secondhand cigarette smoke
environmental toxins
poor diet
excess alcohol consumption
stress
harsh soaps or detergent-based moisturizers
sleep deprivation

One way of mitigating the effects of these skin-damaging foes is to increase levels of protective antioxidants through a diet rich in fruits and vegetables or by direct topical application.

http://tinyurl.com/4m6pcah

highlander
01-17-11, 06:18 PM
"One way of mitigating the effects of these skin-damaging foes is to increase levels of protective antioxidants through a diet rich in fruits and vegetables or by direct topical application."

Does anyone have suggestions on the best direct topical application for antioxidants? I have a lot of photo aging on the left side of my face from all the driving I do.

Reesacat
01-17-11, 06:41 PM
You can put Vitamin C directly on your face-just dissolve a tablet or powder in water.
Anything you eat you can put on your face-I will take a used teabag and wipe my face with it.

Aaltrude
01-17-11, 07:33 PM
I use coconut oil and flax seed oil on my face. I use them separately - they are not mixed together. Usually I will use coconut oil one day and flax seed oil the next.

Reesacat
01-17-11, 07:42 PM
I have also used Vitamin D drops on a couple of my moles and it seems like they are better.

Islander
01-17-11, 08:21 PM
Does anyone have suggestions on the best direct topical application for antioxidants? I have a lot of photo aging on the left side of my face from all the driving I do.

That struck a chord, because I have the same thing, but for a different reason. Every morning, from January 12 until the first of May, I sat in the #1 greenhouse, the one adjacent to the retail store, seeding or transplanting. All day. The sun came up on my right, over the store, and did not hit my face until afternoon. Every afternoon for 12 years. I never noticed it until someone called attention to it. So when you take pictures of me, please get my good side. I look 10 years younger on the right! (And Highlander, I don't think there's anything we can do about it). :mad:

Aaltrude
01-17-11, 08:36 PM
Looking at your FB profile photos 1 and 2 you can see it if you are looking for it Islander but from those two photos, it doesn't appear to be too obvious.

Islander
01-17-11, 09:37 PM
FB has effed up my profile so bad, I have no idea what's there any more!

mellowsong
01-17-11, 09:43 PM
Vitamin E oil also is great for the skin :)

Aaltrude
01-17-11, 09:53 PM
Vitamin E oil also is great for the skin :)

Vitamin E oil has helped a lot with the dry lips I was getting after I started using it on your suggestion mellow.

Islander
01-17-11, 10:28 PM
Causes explored from a slightly different perspective, well documented: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/reprint/20/1/71.pdf

Aaltrude
01-17-11, 10:45 PM
That is a very interesting paper Islander. I have often been amazed at how well my skin has weathered the polluted building I was working in but the findings in this paper suggest my diet has played a large part.

mellowsong
01-17-11, 11:17 PM
Vitamin E oil has helped a lot with the dry lips I was getting after I started using it on your suggestion mellow.

So glad it helps and you tolerate it!

bmc65
01-21-11, 08:33 PM
I could kick my younger self now for those years I smoked. 20 years from now I may want to kick my now-current-self for my occasional booze consumption and messed up sleep patterns. (Of course I can't do anything about the sleep right now).

Julieanne
05-03-11, 06:31 AM
Having read all about astaxanthin on JM's site, it seemed to be a useful supplement to take. I recently decided to add some to my moisturiser, as I'd read somewhere about topical application. I squeezed one capsule into a small jar of lotion - it turned bright orange! It's orange on the skin, but this disappears after about an hour. I guess I won't know for a while if it is helping.

My face has fine wrinkles on the left, which makes no sense, as the driver's seat is on the right in my part of the world. Finally figured out - I sleep on my left side. My hair is much drier on the left also.

Islander
05-03-11, 07:39 AM
My face has fine wrinkles on the left...
So does mine; there's a substantial difference in the age of my face depending on which side you look at. Like you, I first thought of the car, but that wasn't the reason for me either. For 12 years I stood or sat at the same spot in the greenhouse daily, from January 12 until the first of May, seeding and transplanting. The retail building was attached to the right, so the sun hit the left side of my face all afternoon. I never noticed it until one of my kids pointed it out to me, after I had closed the business. Using sunscreen had never occurred to me, and perhaps that's just as well.

ntrll9875
10-01-12, 02:00 AM
Ageing is caused by the passing of time, not by any particular part of the body.

Even the humanitarian efforts of that well-known not-for-profit agency, Nivea, have been able to find any alternative explanation. Nevertheless, I am sure that Nivea scientists remain optimistic that each time you buy a £14.99 tub of anti-ageing cream, it increases their chances of stopping time altogether and banishing the scourge of ageing from the earth.

highlander
10-03-12, 10:33 PM
I've seen pictures of Tibetan monks who have very young skin even in their 90s while some Native Americans have deep facial wrinkles when middle aged. Excessive sun exposure ages skin fast as does smoking. Skin loves fresh-made veggie/fruit juice.

daisygrace
01-07-13, 02:09 AM
I agree with all causes of skin aging , i added some more to it :

Tanning is a sign of skin damage, evidence that the sun's ultraviolet rays have penetrated and damaged the skin's support structure. Most wrinkles are caused by sun exposure throughout life -- and it's never too late to halt the process.

The more years and packs smoked, the more likely wrinkles will occur. Wrinkles are also more likely to be deeper in smokers. Tobacco smoke gives skin an unhealthy color and coarse texture, as well.

The way you sleep may actually cause wrinkles. No matter how soft your pillow, it puts pressure on your face each night. Over years, this can etch lines into your chin, cheeks, or forehead. Your personal pattern of sleep lines depends on how you tend to rest your face on the pillow.

Islander
01-07-13, 09:06 AM
Even the humanitarian efforts of that well-known not-for-profit agency, Nivea, have been able to find any alternative explanation. Nevertheless, I am sure that Nivea scientists remain optimistic that each time you buy a £14.99 tub of anti-ageing cream, it increases their chances of stopping time altogether and banishing the scourge of ageing from the earth.

ntrll9875 (http://www.hawkeshealth.net/community/member.php?u=150900), I love your tongue-in-cheek sarcasm!

Somewhere recently (could have been here) I read that a teaspoon or so of Aloe vera daily would literally reduce existing wrinkles. Takes about 90 days for results to show. Evidently it's not very tasty? I have big aloe plants and could easily supply the necessary amount, but I haven't started simply because I question my ability to stay with a regimen for 90 days. Be nice if it worked!

Maurya
01-07-13, 09:46 AM
How about using the aloe vera gel topically, as we do for treating sunburn? If the gel were to be applied to certain wrinkled areas that are a bother or are particularly visible, the value of aloe could be delivered right where it is needed.

Islander
01-07-13, 09:50 AM
Maurya, I wondered about that. Maybe external application was impractical for large experimental and control groups? I'd actually be more inclined to try it if it just mean running a cut leaf over my face!

Maurya
01-07-13, 09:55 AM
Why don't you try the "one side of face treated with aloe, the other side not treated at all" type of experiment? The worst that could happen would be reduction of part of the wrinkles.

Islander
01-07-13, 11:52 AM
Think I'll do that to the left side, the side exposed to UVA all those years!

bmc65
01-07-13, 12:17 PM
I'm experimenting with drinking a shot of aloe a day to help heal the intestinal damage of celiac. If I see any facial changes I'll report in.
I add about a table spoon of Pom juice (other than that I don't drink the stuff) to help the aloe go down.

Reesacat
01-07-13, 01:10 PM
Juicing raw vegetables and drinking bone broth (love the collagen and hyaluronic acid from it) have really improved my skin.

highlander
01-15-13, 04:47 PM
I put aloe on my face every night and, when I remember, take a teaspon of aloe vera gel. Tastes like $#*! but so does cod liver oil and thousand other things "suposa" be good for you.

puremind
04-21-13, 12:47 PM
Thanks for sharing the causes of skin aging.

Lovemywesties
04-21-13, 06:30 PM
Interesting, the concoctions people put on their skin. I think about everything was mentioned here but heredity. I was fortunate enough to inherit wrinkle-free skin from my mother, despite the fact that I smoked until I was in my 30's. I think it's related to the amount of natural oils/fluids one has circulating within the layers of the skin.

The downside of this blessing is that I have to wash my (luckily) thick but baby-fine hair almost every day or it looks like I combed it with motor oil. I've also had bouts of "teenage" acne most of my life. I doubt that I'll ever have wrinkles or crow's feet, but my skin is usually anything but nice and smooth. It isn't all that noticeable so I quit worrying about it years ago.

I do think nutrition plays an important part in skin appearance, and so does drinking a lot of water. I see ads all the time for expensive creams that promise to "nourish" the skin, but I don't think it's possible to nourish skin topically, other than to plump it up temporarily. As with the rest of the body, health comes from the inside.

Katee
04-22-13, 11:34 AM
LMW - i, too, inherited lovely skin from my mother.

You mentioned washing your hair every day. Just curious, have you considered the "no 'poo" method of using baking soda? (There are many posts in a web search. Here is one: The Urban Homestead (http://urbanhomestead.org/journal/2012/01/31/no-shampoo-no-poo-giveaway-too/))

I didn't find it worked for me, i tried a couple of times with varying amounts of baking soda. But i do know people for whom it has been really good. It takes a while for your body to ramp down the oil production, so you go thru an uncomfortable phase.

I've been allergic to many of the shampoos on the market, so i was hoping it would work for me. But i've been able to find a couple i can tolerate.

Lovemywesties
04-22-13, 12:38 PM
Katee, I just wash my hair with ordinary shampoo. I've tried shampoo-less washing in the past using various products, but I was never satisfied with the result. They always made my scalp itch and my hair looked sort of weird, not exactly oily-looking but not really shiny clean either. I currently have my hair cut in a short (nape of the neck) bob and I can sometimes get away with washing it every other day, which I can't do if it's any shorter. I have no explanation for this oddity, other than I have to do a little more blow-drying when it's longer. That might retard oil production slightly

Aaltrude
04-22-13, 03:20 PM
Katie and LMW, have you considered using Dr Bronner's Castille all purpose soap as shampoo? I use the Castille soap my husband makes as shampoo and it works a treat.
http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=dr%20bronners%20castile#none&rcode=wij464

mellowsong
04-22-13, 03:34 PM
I find Dr. Bronner's way too drying, as is the No Poo method. I have very thin, dry hair to start with and in cooler weather only need to wash once a week. What I've found works really well and is completely non-toxic is a shampoo bar: http://secure.jrliggett.com/ I think I'm using the Ultra Balanced which is unscented.