PDA

View Full Version : The Planet Versus Monsanto

Islander
02-10-11, 10:49 PM
Robert Langreth and Matthew Herper
Forbes Magazine dated January 18, 2010 Monsanto's first round of attackers said its seeds were evil. Now the charge is that Monsanto's seeds are too good.

Excerpt from a long, in-depth article with a favorable biotech spin:

'Since 2005 Monsanto has been gradually moving back into other food crops, including fruits and vegetables. Among the projects in the works are a lettuce with the crunch of iceberg and the nutrients of romaine, and a watermelon whose flesh doesn't leak after being cut. This research involves conventional breeding. Monsanto abandoned its biotech wheat research in 2004 after it proved too controversial. In July Monsanto reentered the wheat business by acquiring conventional breeder WestBred for $45 million. It hopes to use genetic engineering to create drought-tolerant varieties."When people are confused or worried the natural tendency is to just say no," says Monsanto scientist Stark. "The only thing we can do is produce products with real benefits and hope that people eventually become comfortable what we are doing is good."'

Read the article in its entirety here:
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2010/0118/americas-best-company-10-gmos-dupont-planet-versus-monsanto.html

Reesacat
02-10-11, 11:02 PM
Gag-even a lobotomized moron would realize the spin on this article-I was getting vertigo!

Aaltrude
02-10-11, 11:48 PM
Give me the heritage seeds any day.

Islander
02-11-11, 12:19 AM
Thought you might like to get a glimpse of what's in the pipeline. I wonder how much they honestly believe this is in some way beneficial for humanity?

Found this while on a quest. In JM's newsletter, Stone Harbor responded to one of my posts by bringing up a rumor he'd heard that Monsanto was patenting, or attempting to patent, a mass of conventional seeds. Haven't had time to look at more than the tip of the iceberg, but this item was so interesting I read it to the end.