PDA

View Full Version : Rats Agree: Organic is Better

Islander
03-18-11, 09:16 PM
By Alison Rogers
April/May 2008

Apparently Remy from the Disney movie Ratatouille isn’t the only rat with a nose for chemical-free munchies. According to a recent article in The New York Times, Swiss and Austrian scientists offered 40 lab rats a choice between biscuits made with organically grown wheat and biscuits made with wheat that was grown through conventional methods. The rats showed a notable preference for the biscuits made with organic wheat. The experiment was part of a study on organic wheat production, and was intended as a supplemental, “integrative method” to measure the wheat’s quality. If rats avoid food produced with synthetic chemicals, shouldn’t we?

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/2008-04-01/Rats-Prefer-Organic.aspx#ixzz1H0Iqb5UP

Reesacat
03-18-11, 09:30 PM
ROTFL-welll, that answer's Mellow's question about "What is healthy Rat Food!"!!!

mellowsong
03-19-11, 11:46 AM
ROFL :) I guess it does answer my question...but I'd make a million dollar bet that the rats in that other study were not fed organic wheat!!! Wonder if rats have gluten sensitivity?

Aaltrude
03-19-11, 12:09 PM
Wonder if rats have gluten sensitivity?
Quite possibly. We have a dog that is gluten is intolerant.

mellowsong
03-19-11, 01:35 PM
Quite possibly. We have a dog that is gluten is intolerant.

I had a min pin who, not matter what I did, could not lose weight. She weighed 17lbs when I got her...got her down to 15 by starvation but that was it. She was supposed to weigh 9 lbs according to the vet. Well, when I changed my diet, I put my dogs on a "natural" food that has no wheat, corn, soy and uses oats and sweet potatoes instead. Within a few months she was down to 11lbs so I know she was gluten intolerant. Even though she's gone, I keep my dogs on this food. Figure it has got to be better for them. It's not organic but best compromise I can swing.

Katee
03-19-11, 01:48 PM
Do you make that yourself, Mellow?

One of my cats is getting pudgy, even tho i try to buy the best organic foods for them. One that i think is high quality seems to have too much oil/fat in it & it causes problems, so i'm looking for alternatives.

Frankly, i'm not all that good at making food for hubby and myself (tho i have the best of intentions!) & i'm hesitant to start with the cats.

Islander
03-19-11, 04:11 PM
I feed my cats raw organ meat (along with some kibble; can't get enough organ meat) and they love it and thrive on it.

Reesacat
03-19-11, 05:15 PM
I use EVO cat food-it is grain free.

mellowsong
03-19-11, 07:27 PM
Do you make that yourself, Mellow?

One of my cats is getting pudgy, even tho i try to buy the best organic foods for them. One that i think is high quality seems to have too much oil/fat in it & it causes problems, so i'm looking for alternatives.

Frankly, i'm not all that good at making food for hubby and myself (tho i have the best of intentions!) & i'm hesitant to start with the cats.

No, I tried them on raw a few years ago and the results were rather unpleasant even introducing it very slowly. I use Taste of the Wild. I initially was using EVO which I feel is the best dry food out there but I just can't afford it.