PDA

View Full Version : Plant disease raises questions on modified crops

Islander
04-12-11, 09:08 PM
Scientist alleges a link to a disease that's killing soybeans.

By P.J. Huffstutter, Los Angeles Times
April 2, 2011

Bouncing down a dirt road a couple of summers ago, past a gentle patchwork of barnyards and soybean fields in central Iowa, farmer Kent Friedrichsen strained over the steering wheel of his van and stared through the windshield in dismay.

His soybean fields, where he'd used seeds developed by Monsanto Co. and sprayed with its popular glyphosate weed killer Roundup Ready, were littered with yellowed leaves and dead plants. Four days earlier, the plants had been waist high and emerald green.

Nearby, in fields where he had planted seeds that weren't genetically engineered and didn't use glyphosates, the soybean plants were still healthy and lush.

Farmers call this "sudden death syndrome," a plant disease that has plagued the country's heartland...

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-gmo-mystery-20110402,0,3900072,full.story

Katee
04-13-11, 12:33 PM
I've been meaning to post this link for a while. It is a most excellent vid entitled What's Wrong with Our Food? (http://recollectedlife.blogspot.com/2011/04/whats-wrong-with-our-food.html) I agree with the folks who prefer to read a transcript, but this is definitely worth listening to (not much to watch, so i listened as i did other things). It is listed as 18.27 minutes, but i skipped the first minute or two, and i think it is only credits on the last two as well. I don't know how to embed it, so i'm simply linking to where i found it.

One of the most thoughtful, thought-provoking, down-to-earth vids i've seen on the food issue. No drama, no fear-mongering, no craziness, just facts. Tell me what you think.

Reesacat
04-13-11, 02:14 PM
I really liked the video-she is a very good speaker and speaking from her heart as a mother was riveting.

Thank you Katee.

I went ahead and put the link on a separate thread so people using search engine could find it-and gave you the credit:).