PDA

View Full Version : Colorado's fight against GMO's

oceanforkids
04-18-11, 12:47 PM
Jenny from Nourished Kitchen has good information about activism in her article today.

LINK TO ARTICLE (http://nourishedkitchen.com/the-fight-to-label-gmos/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nourishedkitchen+%28Nourished +Kitchen%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail)

Reesacat
04-18-11, 01:09 PM
Go Jenny! Great article!

We have talked about a lot of those steps on HH but several are worth repeating:

1. Buy fresh and local
2. Buy single ingredient foods
3. Buy organic
4. Refuse to buy any GMO foods-link to shopping list for non-GMO foods http://www.nongmoshoppingguide.com/
The eight GM food crops are Corn, Soybeans, Canola, Cottonseed, Sugar Beets, Hawaiian Papaya (most) and a small amount of Zucchini and Yellow Squash.
5. Grow your own food (try to use heirloom seeds if possible)

I would add joining the Weston A. Price Foundation and supporting their mission to make real food available and their defense of raw milk.
www.westonaprice.org

Reesacat
04-18-11, 01:13 PM
I am really having to watch labels to make sure any sugar is cane sugar on a couple of things I can't get organic for.

bmc65
04-19-11, 02:20 AM
I have seen actually seen labels that just say sugar on them and don't say what kind. Of course it has been on a product I wouldn't buy anyway, but I don't know how a company would get away with that.

oceanforkids
04-19-11, 10:05 AM
They even do that with baby formula. There is one made by Similac (for gas and fussiness or something) where the first two ingredients are 1) corn syrup solids; 2) sugar.

Seriously.

How is THAT going to help a baby with gas? And when the sugar high wears off, you'll only begin to see the fussiness. . .

The rests of the list is crappy oils, fake DHA and EPA, and a list of synthetic chemicals which barely fits on the label. But really, I guess no one would expect baby formula to have raw cane sugar in it, would they? After all, why put something decent in with the rest of that garbage. banghead:aaargh:

Islander
04-19-11, 10:13 AM
When that happens, I'm fairly quick to go to a corporate website and prod them. I keep it positive — "I've bought your products for years and I really like this and that...but I'm very concerned about GMOs, and now thast sugar beets blah blah...will buy no products unless the source of the sugar is identified." I like to throw in that my friends and family feel the same, so I'm speaking for more than just myself. I don't always get a response, but corps know that for every one who takes the trouble to write, there are 13,000 who can't be bothered but feel the same. Ever so slowly, change happens. That's why you now see products that shout, NO MSG. NO HFCS. They won't make what the public doesn't want.

mellowsong
04-19-11, 04:28 PM
When that happens, I'm fairly quick to go to a corporate website and prod them. I keep it positive — "I've bought your products for years and I really like this and that...but I'm very concerned about GMOs, and now thast sugar beets blah blah...will buy no products unless the source of the sugar is identified." I like to throw in that my friends and family feel the same, so I'm speaking for more than just myself. I don't always get a response, but corps know that for every one who takes the trouble to write, there are 13,000 who can't be bothered but feel the same. Ever so slowly, change happens. That's why you now see products that shout, NO MSG. NO HFCS. They won't make what the public doesn't want.

It's been probably a year or so since I went to Publix with concerns that all their organic produce comes from California in areas knows to have rocket fuel in the water supply. Islander was the one who encouraged me to do this. They wrote me back several times asking for more evidence then silence for many months. Anyway, the last few times I've been in Publix (3 different ones)...all the produce comes from FL. That was one of my main points in what I wrote...how close SC was to FL vs California. Anyway, I just casually talked to the produce manager the other day cause he was out on the floor and I mentioned it. He said that "I guess there's a concern about some kind of pollution in Ca." I think they heard me :)

Islander
04-19-11, 06:27 PM
You rock, Mellow!

Maurya
04-19-11, 06:41 PM
Notice how much credit the produce manager gave to Mellowsong (not)!

Reesacat
04-19-11, 06:56 PM
We'll give her the credit! Awesome effort Mellow-you ROCK!

oceanforkids
04-19-11, 08:38 PM
Good for you, Mellow. :cool: :o

I love it when people stand up for themselves, their friends and their rights.

mellowsong
04-19-11, 09:25 PM
Need a smiley for <blush> :)

Aaltrude
04-19-11, 10:02 PM
Need a smiley for <blush> :)
...and a smiley for Hugs.

Islander
04-19-11, 10:28 PM
How you do hugs on msg boards: {{{Altrude}}}

Aaltrude
04-19-11, 10:37 PM