PDA

View Full Version : Is it the parabens?

oceanforkids
04-18-11, 02:38 PM
I've been on a quest for some time to find out what ingredient it is in certain lotions that makes some of them go right into my skin and other lotions will just lay on the top and stay greasy forever. I hope it's not mostly the parabens because I avoid those at all costs.

My DIL (who also provides day care) and I wash our hands about a thousand times daily. We both really like the California Baby Calming Everyday Lotion (French Lavender) but it's getting ridiculously expensive and now is not available locally. We used to be able to buy it at Target, but no more. A 6.5 oz bottle was upwards of $15 the last time I looked and I'm just not going there. I can use up a bottle in a week! So I went to their site and priced a gallon, figuring to split it with DIL - no way, man. Almost $200 for the gallon by the time you pay S&H. :mad:

I love coconut oil right out of the container, but it's just too greasy for daytime use.

Any suggestions on something healthy for my skin that won't break me up in business?

Reesacat
04-18-11, 02:58 PM
One of our forum members Katee is a massage and neuromuscular/pain therapist.
She has shared with us her recipe for aloe and glycerin lotion that she and others have found useful:

Katee writes:
This is the recipe: 1 part (i usually use 1/2 cup) vegetable glycerin and 4 parts (2 cups) distilled water. If it feels a bit sticky, add a little water.

However, when i was getting ready to make this, i passed by some aloe vera juice, which i know is very watery. Aloe vera is suppose to be good for lots of things, so i decided to substitute this for most of the distilled water. The concoction very watery, so i keep it in a spray bottle.

I've been so pleased with this. I use it all over, on my hands and face and body. My legs had gotten very dry and itchy, but a couple of applications and that problem is gone. I keep a bottle of it in the shower and apply it all over after my shower.

I've shared this with several people. Most of them like it quite a lot. It isn't a lotion, so for some it takes some getting used to. I even use it on my feet when they are dry and cracking and regular applications has softened them up considerably. I can't say enough good things about this stuff. I am so very pleased with it. It is like a miracle for me, tho very simple.

I'll be honest, i don't always make it simply. I purchased aloe vera gel by accident one time and decided to use some of it anyway. It meant more work, using a whizzy stick to mix it & then i strained it several times thru coffee filters. I liked the result - it was even silkier than the other, but much more labor intensive. Sometimes i add a few drops of essential oil for a scent, too.

I think you can still buy rosewater and glycerin in some stores.

This was posted under the thread Seeking suggestions for dry skin:
http://www.hawkeshealth.net/community/showthread.php?t=6100&highlight=rosewater+glycerin

Reesacat
04-18-11, 03:10 PM
I made this up one time for my husband's hands which were cracking due to cold and side effects of chemo-it worked very well. Having it in a spray bottle was very convient also.

oceanforkids
04-18-11, 03:23 PM
My massage therapist shared some of her lotion with me a while back. It soaked nicely into my skin and she said it contained palm oil (or maybe palm kernel oil) and she thought that was what made it soak in, and yet stay silky on your skin. I don't know if that's what did it or not because she just gave some to me in a baby food jar, so I didn't see the rest of the ingredients.

I like the aloe idea and I always have the gel on hand, so I might try making some over the weekend. Aloe is usually sticky on my skin, but made with glycerine might solve the stickies. Thanks Reesacat.

Reesacat
04-18-11, 04:28 PM
Katee is the one who figured it out! She told me to use very little, and I could always dilute a bit more with distilled water to keep the stickies out.

Islander
04-18-11, 04:50 PM
I like MiEssence organic hand lotion but the price gave me sticker shock. I did not have good results with Katee's recipe — probably would have worked better in a spray bottle if I had had one because it was too thin. I recently ordered something called Coconut Hand & Body Lotion from Desert Essence Organics. 100% vegan, wheat & gluten-free (but I'm not gonna eat it!) No parabens, sodium laurel/laureth sulfates, Phthalates, artificial fragrances or colors, silicones, EDTA, glycol, or petroleum-based ingredients. Most ingredients are certified organic (too long a list to type). I really like this; it's not as greasy as pure coconut oil, it's absorbed quickly, it has a faint coconut scent and best of all, it's affordable! $4.27 for 8 oz. I always order from vitacost.com because I'm happy with their products and service, and shipping is never more than $5 so I wait till I have enough to place a substantial order. Oh, and a little goes a long way!

Aaltrude
04-18-11, 05:42 PM
I have found that flax seed oil used as a moisturiser is absorbed more readily than coconut oil but it still does take quite a bit of rubbing in though.

Recently Ressacat passed on the information that Dr Bronner's liquid soap can be used in a soap dispenser if it is diluted one part soap to two parts water (1 in 3 dilution). I have been using this for about six weeks now and have found it leaves my hands feeling very soft and does not dry them out at all like soap usually does. I have rarely been using any moisturiser on my hands since I have been using this and my hands used to get very dry. In fact it feels so soft and creamy as you are washing your hands, that sometimes I just keep massaging it around my hands just for that lovely sensation, which also feels like it is massaging the oils into my hands.

Dr Bronner's is a super fatted liquid soap which means an excess of oil to potassium hydroxide has been used so that the oils in the soap are not completely saponified leaving a softer, more gentle soap.

Potasium hydroxide is the saponification agent in liquid soap and sodium hydroxide is used in solid soap. My husband makes a super fatted solid soap which we use at home and sell on our stall. I use this soap for washing my hair and it leaves my hair soft as if I had used a conditioner. I did try the Dr Bronner's for my hair but I prefer my husband's soap for this purpose.

We did investigate making our own liquid soap but the process appeared to be very time consuming so we gave it a miss. I was very pleased therefore to discover Dr Bronner's. Thank you Reesacat.

Reesacat
04-18-11, 08:20 PM
I'm so glad it works for you Aaltrude. I send a blessing everyday to y'all for that tip on click at beginning of text, and then scroll down and hit shift then click to highlight large blocks of text to copy-saves me a ton of work!

oceanforkids
04-19-11, 12:15 AM
I like MiEssence organic hand lotion but the price gave me sticker shock. I did not have good results with Katee's recipe — probably would have worked better in a spray bottle if I had had one because it was too thin. I recently ordered something called Coconut Hand & Body Lotion from Desert Essence Organics. 100% vegan, wheat & gluten-free (but I'm not gonna eat it!) No parabens, sodium laurel/laureth sulfates, Phthalates, artificial fragrances or colors, silicones, EDTA, glycol, or petroleum-based ingredients. Most ingredients are certified organic (too long a list to type). I really like this; it's not as greasy as pure coconut oil, it's absorbed quickly, it has a faint coconut scent and best of all, it's affordable! $4.27 for 8 oz. I always order from vitacost.com because I'm happy with their products and service, and shipping is never more than $5 so I wait till I have enough to place a substantial order. Oh, and a little goes a long way!

I've seen that MiEssence stuff and you're right about the sticker shock. As fast as I go through lotion it would break me up in business, sorta like the California Baby stuff. I really like Desert Essence products so I might have to try the lotion you recommended. DH and I both like their tea tree relief spray for little owies and boo-boos even though I don't like the smell of tea tree. Now that my leg is in the last stages of healing, I'm using it to spray on after my shower and before we apply the stuff DH made. I'm about 98% healed up, I'd say. There is always going to be a pinkish/reddish streak where the gash was, but as long as it heals properly with no underlying infections, that's okay with me!

Reesacat
04-19-11, 12:18 AM
That is wonderful news about your leg, Ocean! Happy Dance!

oceanforkids
04-19-11, 12:20 AM
Last year for my birthday a friend gave me a bottle of lotion from Bath & Body Works. I rarely buy from them because they use ALL kinds of ewwy stuff. But I gotta tell ya, if I could figger out a way to duplicate the scent of this stuff, I'd sure like it. It's called Bergamot Coriander Aromatherapy body/hand lotion and it sounds awful but smells. just. heavenly. Very light, fresh, invigorating scent. Not overly feminine and flowery (which I hate). Oh well, I can always dream!

bmc65
04-19-11, 12:40 AM
I currently use Pangea brand lotion which I can find at my Whole Foods. It's a bit pricy, but it goes on really great, soaks right in and has a good EWG rating. It also lasts pretty well so the price doesn't hurt too much. I like the sound of your recipe Reesacat/Katee. I might have to give that a try sometime.
Ocean great about your leg. I love tea tree oinment for boo boo's myself.

oceanforkids
04-19-11, 12:51 AM
Phooey. We don't have a Whole Foods. Can you buy it online?

highlander
04-19-11, 01:12 AM
I finally bought the glycerin and aloe juice Katee recommended but I keep forgetting to get a spray bottle. Step one: put it on the list. Derp.

bmc65
04-19-11, 02:12 AM
Ocean, I'm sure you could get it on line.