PDA

View Full Version : Is Truvia Healthy?

Islander
04-30-11, 07:17 PM
Thursday, April 22nd, 2010
KristenM (http://www.foodrenegade.com/author/kristenm/)

First, we should ask if it’s really a natural sweetener. The short answer? No.
But wait! I thought Truvia was made from stevia. Stevia is a natural sweetener. It’s a plant that I can grow on my patio. I can harvest the leaves, dry them if I want to store them, then use them (dry or fresh) to add a hint of sweetness to just about anything — cool, refreshing iced teas, naturally healthy lemonade (http://www.foodrenegade.com/fresh-natural-healthy-lemonade/), and more.

That said, Truvia is not stevia. Stevia looks like what it is — a plant, an herb. It’s green, and can be purchased in a dried, powdered form. Some companies make extracts of stevia in a liquid form — something you could do, too, with a little bourbon or vodka on your side. Either way, this is something you can grow and make in your own kitchen. But what about Truvia? Truvia looks like table sugar. It’s crystallized sweetness. Can you make Truvia in your kitchen?

Of course not!

Read more: http://www.foodrenegade.com/is-truvia-healthy/

mellowsong
04-30-11, 09:06 PM
Yep, I've tried to tell people this and about been tarred and feathered and run out of town...and these are supposedly people into alternative health and natural foods!

Islander
04-30-11, 10:23 PM
I've learned to keep my soapbox out of sight, even among like-minded people, unless they specifically ask me. Otherwise, I may not get reviled but I get a lot of dumb looks.

mellowsong
05-01-11, 08:40 AM
I've learned to keep my soapbox out of sight, even among like-minded people, unless they specifically ask me. Otherwise, I may not get reviled but I get a lot of dumb looks.

Problem was, I WAS asked, lol. Then others chimed in about it being better than Splenda, that I was a chemical phobe etc etc and next thing you know....I'm all alone.

Maurya
05-01-11, 09:53 AM
Mellowsong, I have been having the same problem, not particularly about Truvia. People I know realize that I do have some knowledge about health, as opposed to medicine; so they will ask me what I think about this and that. It is becoming more and more difficult gracefully to side step a giant controversy. I have not consciously chosen a life of confrontation, and do attempt to keep my soap box carefully hidden when engaging in social life.

Seems as though sometimes the rock and hard place situation takes the form of choosing between being the radical, fringe, non-mainstream type of person they already are convinced that I am, or being the negative, ignorant, recalcitrant one who refuses to share from my reading and learning. {Rock :: Hard place}

Reesacat
05-01-11, 11:51 AM
It is hard-I don't have an answer.

highlander
05-01-11, 06:59 PM
Yep, I've tried to tell people this and about been tarred and feathered and run out of town...and these are supposedly people into alternative health and natural foods!
It's the predictable response when they feel their programming is threatened. People are so afraid of being wrong.

tealover3
07-26-11, 12:48 PM
I agree about Truvia. I am using Natvia instead. Natvia is %100 natural as they show it on their website : www.natvia.com

Honestly this is the only sweetener i trust. I drink my coffee with it and use it while baking cakes.

Reesacat
07-26-11, 01:05 PM
I went to the website and they say Natvia is made from the tips of stevia plants and a naturally occurring nectar Erythritol found in melons and grapes. (Erythritol is a sugar alcohol.)