PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Damning New Evidence About Monsanto's Most Widely Used Herbicide Being Silence

Islander
05-04-11, 09:47 PM
It turns out that Monsanto's Roundup herbicide might not be nearly as safe as people have thought, but the media is staying mum on the revelation.
April 27, 2011 |

Dr. Don Huber did not seek fame when he quietly penned a confidential letter to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack in January of this year, warning Vilsack of preliminary evidence of a microscopic organism that appears in high concentrations in genetically modified Roundup Ready corn and soybeans and "appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals and probably human beings." Huber, a retired Purdue University professor of plant pathology and U.S. Army colonel, requested the USDA's help in researching the matter and suggested Vilsack wait until the research was concluded before deregulating Roundup Ready alfalfa. But about a month after it was sent, the letter was leaked, soon becoming an internet phenomenon.

Huber was unavailable to respond to media inquiries in the weeks following the leak, and thus unable to defend himself when several colleagues from Purdue publicly claiming to refute his accusations about Monsanto's widely used herbicide Roundup (glyphosate) and Roundup Ready crops. When his letter was finally acknowledged by the mainstream media, it was with titles like "Scientists Question Claims in Biotech Letter," noting that the letter's popularity on the internet "has raised concern among scientists that the public will believe his unsupported claim is true."

Now, Huber has finally spoken out...

Read more: http://www.alternet.org/food/150733/why_is_damning_new_evidence_about_monsanto's_most_ widely_used_herbicide_being_silenced/ (http://www.alternet.org/food/150733/why_is_damning_new_evidence_about_monsanto%27s_mos t_widely_used_herbicide_being_silenced/)

Stoneharbor
05-29-11, 10:10 AM
More coverage here, this time in an online BUSINESS blog:
http://www.bnet.com/blog/food-industry/mystery-science-more-details-on-the-strange-organism-that-could-destroy-monsanto/3052?tag=mantle_skin;content

Including more damning detail in the blog itself.

Katee
05-29-11, 11:14 AM
I get really frosted these days when a report says "It’s anecdotal, not data."

I do have a basic understanding between anecdotal reports and statistical data. However, many scientific studies have skewed statistical data or have withheld data that puts their whatever (drug, food product, vaccine) in a bad light. What we are left with often, is anecdotal evidence that comes about after the whatever has been released on the public.

If we collected every single bit of information on every single vaccine-related adverse report, we would still only have anecdotal evidence. It would never constitute a "gold standard" of scientific reporting, and as it covers only a small portion of those vaccinated, it would not be considered significant.

In this report, while Huber is pointing to a problem, his focus is on the reduction of a plant's immune system and the lack of manganese. However, the big problem with all of our synthetic farming is that the plants are lacking in a number of basic nutrients. This in turn gets fed to animals who then are nutritionally lacking. And if the plants or animals get processed, as is most common these days, people are getting a food product that is lacking basic nutrition, as well.

It makes my heart sick to see how much damage we are doing to our good Earth. Whether you believe in God or in an evolution that brought us to this point, we were in good balance with nature and our earth provided what we needed. It is rather amazing to think of how well the Earth provided for us. That is until we, in our arrogance, decided that we knew how to do it better and are destroying the Earth and its ability to provide for us.

Islander
05-29-11, 11:49 AM
Sooner or later we are going to reach the tipping point. Millions Against Monsanto activists are starting to make headlines with their trashing of Whole Foods products. I'm not sure that's the best route but I suppose the publicity is raising awareness.

I started this post, then got called away. When I came back to complete and submit, Katee had posted before me. So I have to add that I agree with her...and that enough anecdotes = data.

There was a time when animal manures were spread on the fields every spring, restoring fertility and returning trace minerals to the soil. Today agribiz has depleted the soils and only returns the top 6 minerals (N, P, K plus S and a couple of others), enough to enable plants to grow. Barely. There is no comparison, in taste or nutrition, between produce grown commercially and that grown organically. One bite will prove it!

Oh, one more thing: evolution and God are not mutually exclusive!

Katee
05-29-11, 02:29 PM
Oh, one more thing: evolution and God are not mutually exclusive!

I accept that! For some people, however, God is not an option. Whether God set in motion evolution or evolution happened on its own, it is rather amazing to think that nature, unhampered by humans, provides what we need. And tremendously sad to know that we are fast ruining it.

Julieanne
05-30-11, 06:26 AM
Katee, one of our local ministers was a scientist before she was 'called' (or whatever happened). So she would agree with you.

I take part in a gardening forum in Oz, and one guy oftens rants about non-scientific, anecdotal evidence, particularly for cancer cures. My view is that when enough anecdotal evidence is accumulated, trials will eventually follow. Even many natural remedies have been trialled in the past, eg feverfew for migraines. I wonder who funds these, as there is litle money to be made from them.

I'm not saying this will happen overnight, but it is possible.