PDA

View Full Version : Are Organic Foods Really Healthier For Us?

Aaltrude
05-30-11, 04:39 PM
Posted by Cheryl Hanson - 05/30/2011

The Real Truth behind Organic Foods
Many people are unaware of what organic food really is. It seems that everywhere we go now someone is promoting something that is “organic”. Are these foods worth your time and money?
It almost seems like some people are afraid of organic food. Could this be possible? Are people afraid that eating one morsel of organic food is going to somehow instantly initiate them into the organic food cult where you’re only allowed to wear sandals made from tree bark and deodorant is prohibited?
People will say things like, “Well, you can’t be that organic because you wear make-up and you don’t smell.”
What? That’s not what organic means at all! All it means is that the food or the product has been grown the way Mother Nature intended: without the use of chemicals, pesticides, herbicides and fungicides. In other words, naturally!
Are some people afraid of the price? Organic does not automatically mean “break the bank”. Many times when you compare the price of the organic food versus the conventional food, they are only a few cents different.
Is there such a thing as Cheap Organic Food?
Are Organic foods really worth their sometimes high prices? Is there any way to make organic eating affordable?
Many times people’s biggest resistance to buying organic is the higher price. But there are ways to make organic eating cheaper and much more affordable for you and your family.
What exactly is Organic Food?

Read more: http://www.secretsloseweight.com/are-organic-foods-really-healthier-for-us/

Stoneharbor
06-22-11, 08:54 AM
Wow, this just in:
A Yahoo food safety article that actually recommends going with the organic option when selecting fruits at your market! How did this get by the censors? Or is the food industry having to admit it can't control the media any longer?

http://health.yahoo.net/articles/menshealth/photos/10-dirtiest-foods-youre-eating#6

This was item #6 in a list of "The 10 dirtiest foods you're eating". Imagine how big this is for the organic fruit growers! Free advertising? Yep. Once people start thinking ORGANIC they usually continue and expand their range of selection. Good things are happening.

Islander
06-22-11, 09:07 AM
Wow. They really stick it to conventional ag, don't they? Good for them for taking a stand. A LOT of people read Yahoo....

Stoneharbor
06-22-11, 10:09 AM
A LOT of people read Yahoo....

Yes, I have Yahoo Messenger come up automatically when I turn on the PC, and it also pops up a window of what Yahoo thinks will be the top 4 news stories for the day. These show in a window even before I bring up the internet browser. So today, the "dirty food" article was one of those 4. I admit, I often click on 2 of the 4 because they have raised my curiosity. The other one I clicked on today was pictures of a tornado turning over part of a freight train in Nebraska. Yes, they hooked me.

The neat thing is, on the "dirty food" article, is insidiously got people reading, in order to protect themselves from GERMS. Every food of the 10 mentioned DID have a tendency to be germ infested (chicken, ground turkey & beef) EXCEPT for the peaches. There, the big risk was just the PESTICIDES. This gets naive people to equating pesticides with ill health, as in germs. I think its nice they did it this way. If they had put out an article titled something about "eat organic, because" many people would have skipped it, because its boring or they already KNOW they don't want to be "one of those food nuts". But all the naive people in the world are scared to death of germs, so this was a good intro to the risks of non-organic produce, in my opinion.

Islander
06-22-11, 12:58 PM
Somebody paid attention in journalism school....