PDA

View Full Version : Yoplait Removes An Eating Disorder Triggering Commercial

Julieanne
06-20-11, 06:18 AM
posted by: Amelia Thomson-DeVeaux (http://www.care2.com/causes/author/ameliatd/)
June 19, 2011
Based on a June 14, 2011 press release: http://tinyurl.com/6l755rn

In a surprisingly mature move, Yoplait agreed to take down a commercial that eating disorder awareness groups claimed had the potential to trigger harmful thoughts and behavior in people suffering from eating disorders. The yogurt company and its parent, General Mills, were commended by the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA)'s president (http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/in-the-news/news-release-detail.php?release=67&title=%E2%80%98Kudos%20to%20Yoplait,%E2%80%99%20Sa ys%20National%20Eating%20Disorders%20Association), Lynn Grefe, who said, "I believe the company had no intent to harm and gained insight into a very serious issue that we hope will influence their marketing decisions in the future."

http://www.care2.com/causes/womens-rights/blog/yoplait-ad-pulled/

Wondered what you all think of this? I thought it was oversensitive, as we are exposed to temptation all the time. Perhaps I should ask that all chocolate ads are removed? Mmmm.

highlander
06-20-11, 03:35 PM
I liked the ad because most women I know think that way and it offered their product as a simple solution to a craving for cheesecake. I also thought it actually would be helpful to women with eating disorders in that it stresses "don't fret just eat a healthier option."
Of course, I don't think diet Yoplait is healthy because of the artificial sweeteners, etc. It would be better to have plain yogurt with fresh fruit and nuts or maybe cream cheese with fruit.

bmc65
06-21-11, 02:34 AM
My only problem with the ad is that I think the women would better off just eating that piece of cheesecake. Way back when I was a teen, we would buy Dannon and Yoplait. I was never satisfied by eating that stuff. I always felt hungery after. A peice of cheescake on the other hand would settle me for hours and hours.
Of course the best solution of all is to get over one's sugar addiction.

Maurya
06-21-11, 09:11 AM
For all the hype about yogurt being a source of protein and/or probiotics, the fact remains that yogurt primarily is a high carb food. It has its place in a person's diet, if and only if the person is one of the minority of carb tolerant individuals. For the rest of us hapless lot, yogurt will have to remain on the "occasional treat" list.

Pattypans
06-21-11, 09:27 AM
The article I read about the commercial (don't know whether it's the same article or not) related the self-talk of the first woman. It did seem to be very anorexic-type thinking. I don't think it's a good thing to expose young girls to, even if they may be exposed to it elsewhere. As adults, yes, we should be able to fend for ourselves, think and judge ads/propaganda critically, etc. But I do think it's better not to expose children and young kids to the mind of an anorexic.

I also thought that it was crafty of Yoplait to put up an ad that surely must have raised red flags in someone, and then say, in effect, "Aren't we good? Look, we took it down, even though we didn't think there was anything wrong with it." And remember, they're getting lots of free publicity even in taking it down.

Islander
06-21-11, 10:43 AM
Good point, Pattypans! You know what they say in Hollywood: "There's no such thing as BAD publicity!"

highlander
06-21-11, 03:01 PM
The problem with me eating a piece of cheesecake (when the whole thing is in the fridge staring at me) is that once I start I won't stop. Some people, like my husband, can just have a piece and that's it. They're done. People like me (and my mother and many other relatives) wind up eating the whole damn thing. It's like triggering an addiction.

Also, I think that most kids hear their mom's (and sisters, aunts, teachers, friends) talking the way the first woman was talking. At least I did and still do. I don't think I ever attended a large family meal where I didn't hear someone say something like that while looking at a table full of desserts. Have you ever noticed how many "women's" magazines will have a cover story on a new diet and on the same cover mention all the yummy dessert recipes in that issue? It's kind of bipolar. But regarding the commercial, while it could have some negative influence, peer pressure to be thin is infinitely more influential than that commercial. I know of young teen boys who try to avoid eating because they want to be really thin. Imagine doing that during an attempt at a growth spurt.

bmc65
06-21-11, 05:46 PM
Ya, Highlander that was pretty much exactly what would happen to me (maybe not as much with cheesecake though. That stuff is seriously rich). Anyway, after years of trying "I'll just eat a half a piece. I'll just eat one piece. I'll eat some yogurt instead." It wasn't working. I'd wouldn't be satisfied and I would go into a feeding frenzy. Sense that method never failed to fail, I set out eliminating sugar from my diet, and when I did have a craving for a "naughty snack" I didn't hold back. I scarfed until I felt borderline ill. For me that put a stop on that craving for a good long while. It was also a hell of a lot more fun than the tiny piece with a side of guilt and dissatisfaction, trying to fill the still present void, another tiny something along with more guilt, mounting frustration over dissatisfaction and so on.....
Of course somehow this is what worked for me. I don't know if this is the route for everyone. If there is one thing we at HH at least know, is that there isn't a "one size fits all" when it comes to health.

Katee
06-21-11, 08:28 PM
The problem with me eating a piece of cheesecake (when the whole thing is in the fridge staring at me) is that once I start I won't stop . . . .It's like triggering an addiction.

Also, I think that most kids hear their mom's (and sisters, aunts, teachers, friends) talking the way the first woman was talking. At least I did and still do. I don't think I ever attended a large family meal where I didn't hear someone say something like that while looking at a table full of desserts. Have you ever noticed how many "women's" magazines will have a cover story on a new diet and on the same cover mention all the yummy dessert recipes in that issue? It's kind of bipolar. But regarding the commercial, while it could have some negative influence, peer pressure to be thin is infinitely more influential than that commercial. I know of young teen boys who try to avoid eating because they want to be really thin. Imagine doing that during an attempt at a growth spurt.
LOL, Highlander and bmc. I certainly can demolish the entirety of something sweet. Don't think i've ever done a whole cheesecake. I'll admit to my worst sweet craving - frosting. (I do have a sweet tooth!) If i have some of that in the house (which never happens these days) it will be gone within 24 hours. (Although as bmc said, that rather kills my craving for it for quite a while.) My MIL often has some in her home and if i let myself have a teaspoonful i will soon be at the grocery buying one to eat surreptitiously. (I know the ingredients on that stuff are awful. Evidently one of the chemicals really does me in.)

Someone asked me yesterday about when i'm done losing weight and can eat "normally" again, if i will eat the things that challenge/tempt me now. The answer is, as much as my will power will carry me, "NO!" Because i think if i began that again, the time will come when it will be harder to maintain my healthier choice. I'm not talking about an occasional ice cream or homemade GF cookies, but the junk that has been calling me recently. I don't dare give in to that again, or i'll be right back on this merry go round to nowhere. And i do believe there are a lot of chemicals in those "foods" that increase the craving.

I have noticed the women's magazines with their bi-polar (schizophrenic?) titles of "Best Diet of the Century" and "Our Richest Dessert EVER!" It is just bizarre.

Julieanne
06-21-11, 09:52 PM
Islander, a bit late, but thanks for fixing up the post for me. Will I ever get this right? Still trying!

highlander
06-22-11, 12:05 AM
Katee, I had a friend in high school who would not eat with the rest of us at Burger King but when she got home she'd sit there and eat icing out of the container. You're definitely not alone with that.

bmc, I like how you just called a spade a spade. It's like you told that dessert "You're not the boss of me!" Go girl.