PDA

View Full Version : Hungary destroys all GMO maize fields

Katee
07-17-11, 10:52 AM
July 15, 2011
Source: All About Feed

Some 400 hectares of maize found to have been grown with genetically modified seeds have been destroyed throughout Hungary deputy state secretary of the Ministry of Rural Development Lajos Bognar said.

The GMO maize has been ploughed under, said Lajos Bognar, but pollen has not spread from the maize, he added. Unlike several EU members, GMO seeds are banned in Hungary.

Authorities have been checking for GMO crops since the beginning of this year as a new regulation came in force this March which stipulates GMO checks before seeds are introduced to the market.

The checks will continue despite the fact that seed traders are obliged to make sure that their products are GMO free, Bognar said.

Read the rest here (http://www.blacklistednews.com/Hungary_destroys_all_GMO_maize_fields/14717/0/0/0/Y/M.html).

Reesacat
07-17-11, 10:56 AM
I wonder if this was similar to what happened in India-Big Agra Biz snuck in the GMO seeds and didn't tell the farmers....

Islander
07-17-11, 11:01 AM
Wow, Katee, great find!

I cited three other examples of this kind of protest on a VV newsletter recently, as being the only way to draw international attention (read: U.S. media) to the danger of genetic modification. My post was deleted despite the fact the a) I specifically said I did not condone violence, and b) America has a long respected history of civil disobedience. When I asked why, I was told that "several members had flagged this as offensive and it went to the top of the list." This despite the fact that there is no way to flag or report a post on that site.

The irony: a short while later, a male member posted the same thing, practically verbatim, and it was allowed to stand. It's still there, days later.

Katee
07-17-11, 11:32 AM
Wow, Katee, great find!

I can't take credit for the find. Duane sent me the article. He frequently sends me stuff like this.

I feel for the poor farmers. Why didn't they check this BEFORE the crop was planted, sprouted, and growing?

Katee
07-17-11, 11:35 AM
When I asked why, I was told that "several members had flagged this as offensive and it went to the top of the list." This despite the fact that there is no way to flag or report a post on that site.

The irony: a short while later, a male member posted the same thing, practically verbatim, and it was allowed to stand. It's still there, days later.

Well, VV sucks.

And the discrimination against women that Reesacat mentioned on my quest for a doctor is alive and well, even in the Royal Kingdom JM has set as the "perfect" alternative health place.

highlander
07-17-11, 02:48 PM
Sexism is alive and well everywhere. It's just that some people acknowledge it and other people are in denial. A quick way to infuriate people is to point it out. It's a hobby of mine.

Islander
07-17-11, 03:09 PM
Highlander, you may be many thing but you are never dull. Please tell us, do you also point out ageism and sizeism and speciesism?

highlander
07-17-11, 03:24 PM
Highlander, you may be many thing but you are never dull. Please tell us, do you also point out ageism and sizeism and speciesism?

Oh, yes! If there is an oppressed underdog out there I'm on their team. I’ve gotten in physical fights over animals. I’ve gotten in huge arguments taking up for people who are pigeonholed based on age (young, old, doesn't matter). And I’ve been involved in some heated online debates when people start slamming people who are overweight or underweight. (I think my totem is a grizzly bear.)

Reesacat
07-17-11, 06:00 PM
::::bows respectfully to advocate for the underdog wise friend's grizzly totem with highland cow:::

highlander
07-17-11, 06:05 PM
::::bows respectfully to advocate for the underdog wise friend's grizzly totem with highland cow:::
Apparently I'm a menagerie. Thank you Most Excellent Wearer of Tiara. :)