PDA

View Full Version : Evolva to Acquire Abunda Nutrition

Islander
08-24-11, 11:03 PM
Evolva to Gain Fermentation-derived Stevia and Other Next-Generation Nutritional Ingredients

Reinach, Switzerland, 5 April 2011 - Evolva Holding SA (SIX: EVE) announces today that it plans to acquire its R&D partner Abunda Nutrition, Inc.

Evolva and San Francisco-based Abunda have collaborated on the development of Abunda’s next-generation nutritional ingredients since 2009. One part of this collaboration, using Evolva’s proprietary technology, succeeded in making the key components of the natural high intensity sweetener Stevia via fermentation in yeast. This process bypasses the complex logistics associated with the traditional cultivation, processing and refining of Stevia plants, and allows pure Stevia sweetness components to be produced.

The value of the global sweetener market is currently estimated at USD 70 billion p.a., with sugar the dominant product. Within this market, Stevia-based sweeteners are the fastest growing segment, with demand driven in part because Stevia extracts have 200-300 times the sweetness of sugar, but also because of increasing consumer demand for health, wellness, and performance products that are low-carbohydrate and low-sugar. By enabling the introduction of new sweetener products with compelling health, taste and other benefits for consumers, pure fermentation-derived Stevia components can potentially take an important part of the overall sweetener market.

In addition to Stevia, Evolva will obtain full ownership of certain additional development-stage compounds with relevance in cardiovascular health and other nutrition sectors. Clinical nutrition trials have been conducted on selected compounds.
Under the terms of the proposed merger, Evolva will acquire 100% of the share capital of Abunda in return for 25 million Evolva shares (12.9% of Evolva’s share capital post transaction, fully diluted). If certain value-creating milestones are achieved in the 19 months after closing, Abunda shareholders are entitled to receive up to an additional 12 million shares and, for three years afterward, a low-teen percentage share of cash returns from the Abunda assets.

That's the pertinent part. To read the entire article: http://www.evolva.com/press-investors/newsroom/press-releases/2011/4/5/evolva-acquire-abunda-nutrition

mellowsong
08-25-11, 09:11 AM
This process would have to involve genetically altering the yeast somehow. Basically they are saying they can get yeast to turn out stevia molecules during fermentation which means genes from the stevia plant have to be implanted. Another FRANKENFOOD that will be marketed as safe and healthy with no testing at all. When will they stop???

Pattypans
08-25-11, 09:34 AM
I didn't understand it as well as you do, Mellow, but I knew it didn't sound natural or good.

Islander
08-25-11, 10:14 AM
I'm assuming that 1) they can't call it "Stevia," they will have to come up with another Truvia-like name, and 2) our old reliable stevia will still be available.

mellowsong
08-25-11, 12:37 PM
I'm assuming that 1) they can't call it "Stevia," they will have to come up with another Truvia-like name, and 2) our old reliable stevia will still be available.

I'll betcha they do call it stevia!!! After all, it's got stevia molecules right? They still call GMO corn etc corn! I hope this doesn't corner enough of a market where our old stevia would disappear. That would break my heart!!!

Aaltrude
08-25-11, 05:23 PM
It might be about time to start growing some stevia pot plants.
One does wonder why they have to go to this trouble when it can be easily grown. 177

mellowsong
08-25-11, 06:53 PM
It might be about time to start growing some stevia pot plants.
One does wonder why they have to go to this trouble when it can be easily grown. 177

It absolutely will not grow here. I've tried multiple times. Even the lady I've gotten the seedlings from says she's never managed to get a plant really big enough to harvest a substantial quantity.

Islander
08-25-11, 09:18 PM
It absolutely will not grow here. I've tried multiple times. Even the lady I've gotten the seedlings from says she's never managed to get a plant really big enough to harvest a substantial quantity.
The actual leaves have a licorice-like taste that I don't care for. I'll take mine refined!

mellowsong
08-25-11, 09:30 PM
The actual leaves have a licorice-like taste that I don't care for. I'll take mine refined!

Yeah I have a bag of powdered raw dried leaf that I've barely used. I just don't like the extra flavors on top of sweet, lol. I like the stevia extract (in alcohol). However, it is easy to make your own extract from the leaves. You just crush them and stick them in a bottle of vodka.

Julieanne
08-26-11, 06:26 AM
I tried to grow it one year. It went well during summer, but winter (in the hills where I live) was too cold for it. I find even the extract has a sort of licorice-like aftertaste.

Islander
08-26-11, 08:54 AM
I use Sweetleaf brand flavored liquids and NOW brand packets. I've tried other brands and these two seem to deliver the sweetness without any aftertaste.

Katee
08-26-11, 11:23 AM
I've tried most of the brands of Stevia. I like KAL brand (http://www.iherb.com/KAL-Pure-Stevia-Extract-Alcohol-Free-4-fl-oz-118-ml/18986?at=0) the best. And it was a very happy mistake when i picked up KAL Vanilla Stevia by accident once. That stuff is wonderful! Since then i've tried several other vanilla stevia products by other companies (when my store was out of KAL) and they are just not the same. I also have powdered KAL stevia. It is fine, but i find that the liquid is much more versatile.

BTW, my favorite methylcobalamin B-12 is KAL brand berry flavored. (Xylitol is the sweetener.)

mellowsong
08-26-11, 12:57 PM
I use Sweetleaf brand flavored liquids and NOW brand packets. I've tried other brands and these two seem to deliver the sweetness without any aftertaste.

Have you tried the NOW stevia extract. I have found that it tastes every bit as good as the twice as expensive Sweetleaf. I get it by 8oz bottles at www.iherb.com.

Katee
08-26-11, 01:03 PM
I recently purchased the NOW brand. In my opinion, it doesn't hold a candle to KAL. However, if you are pleased with NOW and its price, please don't let me convince you otherwise. We all have different preferences.