PDA

View Full Version : Run for Cover, Monsanto’s Roundup Found in Raindrops

Islander
09-10-11, 07:40 AM
Jill Ettinger
September 9th, 2011

New findings released by the U.S. Geological Survey show the presence of pesticides—notably Monsanto’s pervasive glyphosate-based Roundup—as well as its degradation byproducts and trace amounts of antibiotics routinely fed to livestock in watersheds and rainwater samples throughout the Mississippi Basin.

Research teams with the USGS investigated water supplies near where large amounts of genetically modified soy, corn and cotton are grown. The findings revealed that use of Roundup, or similar glyphosate based pesticides, had increased in the area more than eight times to nearly 90,000 tons between 1992 and 2007, despite claims by the biotech industry that use of pest-resistant genetically modified seeds would decrease the need for external pesticide applications. Further, Monsanto, the dominant manufacturer of genetically modified seeds and companion pesticide, Roundup, has long insisted that the glyphosate will not leach into waterways due to its ability to bind instead to soil particles.

Read more: http://www.organicauthority.com/blog/organic/monsanto%E2%80%99s-roundup-pesticide-in-drinking-water/ (http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1Ib1VD/www.organicauthority.com/blog/organic/monsanto%E2%80%99s-roundup-pesticide-in-drinking-water/)

Aaltrude
09-10-11, 01:27 PM
Roundup is a herbicide, not a pesticide.

mellowsong
09-10-11, 03:54 PM
I realize it's a "blog" but people need to know what they are talking about. That is a serious error for sure!

Reesacat
09-10-11, 04:21 PM
Sharp eyes, Aaltrude! Missed that one!

Islander
09-10-11, 05:39 PM
Correction. All chemicals (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides etc.) in current parlance fall under the blanket term "pesticide" — I suppose because weeds, insects and fungi can all be considered pests.

mellowsong
09-10-11, 06:25 PM
Correction. All chemicals (herbicides, insecticides, fungicides etc.) in current parlance fall under the blanket term "pesticide" — I suppose because weeds, insects and fungi can all be considered pests.

Just because people may use the term that broadly doesn't make it correct!

Islander
09-10-11, 06:38 PM
Sorry. I'm referring to an industry standard. Just gotta talk their language!