PDA

View Full Version : Monsanto GMO Sugarbeets to be Destroyed | Court Concludes USDA Illegally Approved Bio

Islander
12-08-11, 11:36 AM
Mike Barrett
NaturalSociety
September 21, 2011

Nearly 1 year ago Monsanto’s genetically modified seeds were ordered to be removed from the soil. However, this was not the first ruling for Monsanto concerning their genetically modified seedlings. Monsanto was previously ordered to remove their seedlings after they were deemed illegal due to insufficient environmental review from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), but Monsanto took no action.

The seeds, which were to sprout into sugar beets, are genetically modified (GM) to withstand their very popular product, Roundup. What is Roundup? Roundup is an herbicide which has been one of the most popular herbicide products for decades. Unfortunately, creating harmful GM seeds and crops aren’t enough for Monsanto. They must also produce the most popular herbicide to spray on crops, further damaging those who consume the produce.

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/monsanto-gmo-sugarbeets-to-be-destroyed-court-concludes-usda-illegally-approved-biotech-crop/

mellowsong
12-08-11, 01:19 PM
Early this year, a judge ruled in favor of Monsanto and allowed planting to continue to avert a sugar shortage. Then he was overruled, then a partial deregulation occurred. Anyway, the info in that article is not current. As of August 2011 they can be planted but with restrictions:

The solution announced Friday was an interim “partial deregulation” of the beets that will hold until the impact statement is done and a final decision made. The partial deregulation was requested by the two companies that developed the crop, Monsanto and KWS, a German seed company.

Farmer-owned sugar processing companies will enter into compliance agreements with the government covering their growers. The agreements will spell out the measures that must be taken to prevent the genetically engineered traits from spreading. Farmers’ fields will be subject to inspection.

For seed production, growers will need permits and will be kept from growing such seeds within four miles of other sugar beet, table beet or chard seed fields.

Paul Achitoff, the lead counsel for the groups that sued the Agriculture Department, said the conditions imposed on the growers were no different from what was now done voluntarily and would not prevent the spread of the biotech trait.

“It’s just window dressing,” said Mr. Achitoff, who is with the group Earthjustice.

He said the groups would ask the court to block the Agriculture Department’s decision from being put into effect. One obstacle they could face, however, is that the Supreme Court, in a decision last year concerning genetically engineered alfalfa, said the Agriculture Department had the authority to grant partial deregulation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/05/business/05beet.html

Islander
12-08-11, 04:18 PM
I'm still not clear on whether a crop of GM sugar beets has ever been grown. I assume it was too late in the season for a crop this year. All I know for sure is that if I do buy something with a label on it, the label read "cane sugar." (Off hand I can't think of anything that applies to, but I've seen it).

mellowsong
12-08-11, 06:06 PM
@Islander: According to Michael Hansen, PhD, chief scientist at Consumer Union, 54 percent of U.S. sugar comes from sugar beets, and the rest from sugar cane. He says that 90 percent of the sugar beets out there are already GE, and the new approval, if not held back by litigation, will greatly increase GE sugar in the American food chain.http://www.rodale.com/genetically-engineered-sugar-beets-0

Maurya
12-08-11, 06:32 PM
Throw into the mix the high usage of sugar cane for rum making, and then ask the percentage of the remainder of sugar from cane that actually is used in foods. At least I don't think that the "bright boys" have figured out a way to distill rum from beets!

Islander
12-08-11, 11:55 PM
Hmm. I wondered why that last bottle of Captain Morgan's tasted a little funny.