PDA

View Full Version : GMOs and why you should never use Canola oil.

Jane Chitty
12-17-11, 01:34 AM
February 8, 2011
Vanessa Runs

Olive oil comes from olives. Sesame seed oil comes from sesame seeds.

But what is a canola? Canola is actually a made-up word for a genetically modified product.

Canola stands for “Canadian oil low acid.” It’s (sadly) a Canadian invention and subsidized by the government. The subsidies make it very cheap to use, so almost all processed or packaged foods contain canola oil. Be sure to read the ingredients. Here’s why you should:

THE SCOOP ON CANOLA

Canola oil is developed from the rapeseed plant, which is part of the mustard family of plants. These oils have long been used for industrial purposes (in candles, lipsticks, soaps, inks, lubricants, and biofuels). It’s an industrial oil, not a food.

Rapeseed oil is the source behind mustard gas, and on its own it causes emphysema, respiratory distress, anemia, constipation, irritability, and blindness. But through the beauty of genetic modification, we now sell it as an edible oil.

Read more here:

http://vanessaruns.com/2011/02/08/gmos-and-why-you-should-never-use-canola-oil/

mellowsong
12-17-11, 09:37 AM
What really kills me is that they allow some canola oil to be labeled "ORGANIC". I do not understand this as it is not a hybrid but a genetically engineered product. Not using certain pesticides doesn't change that major fact!

Reesacat
12-17-11, 11:18 AM
Ms. Runs writes:
"It is now believed that rapeseed has a cumulative effect, taking almost 10 years before symptoms begin to manifest. One possible effect of long-term use is the destruction of the protective coating surrounding nerves called the myelin sheath. This is like having raw, open wires in the body. Some symptoms include:

tremors and shaking
uncoordination when walking or writing
slurred speech
deterioration of memory and thinking processes
fuzzy or low audio levels
difficulty urinating/incontinence
breathing problems/short of breath
nervous breakdown
numbness and tingling in extremities
heart problems/arrhythmia"

Good grief — that could be one of the factors behind all the neurological diseases increasing such as MS etc.!

Aaltrude
12-17-11, 12:38 PM
I do not understand this as it is not a hybrid but a genetically engineered product.
I fully agree that Canola oil is not a healthy oil and should be avoided but I often see articles referring to it as an oil that was developed by genetic engineering. I can remember canola oil being available long before we had even heard of genetic engineering.

Reesacat
12-17-11, 01:11 PM
Good point, Aatrude.

mellowsong
12-17-11, 01:22 PM
I fully agree that Canola oil is not a healthy oil and should be avoided but I often see articles referring to it as an oil that was developed by genetic engineering. I can remember canola oil being available long before we had even heard of genetic engineering.

Ahh but canola is one of the very first genetically engineered crops. Believe it or not, they've been planted extensively since 1996 but have been around even longer. Hybridization or mutagenic breeding is deliberate attempts to breed for certain traits already present in that plant (or animal). Genetic engineering is a deliberate transference of genes from another species. Apparently it started out as an effort to traditionally breed for lower acidity (thus decreased toxicity) of the rapeseed plant but AFAIK, virtually all canola is genetically engineered.

bmc65
12-17-11, 04:26 PM
Good grief — that could be one of the factors behind all the neurological diseases increasing such as MS etc.![/QUOTE]

Reesacat, my next thought after reading this was "holy crap, how much canola have i possibly consumed with out knowing". Like when we go out to eat. Of course I will also have to do a google search to see when this stuff came to market.

Umm also, how do you guys get those cute little blue conversation bubbles to come up when you use someone else's quote.

Reesacat
12-17-11, 04:44 PM
@ bmc: Hit reply with quote at the bottom of the post you want to quote — it is on the very far right (to the left are Edit Post and Reply). If you just want to use part of a quote, I will use the cut function and cut out the rest to save space and make it easier to read.

Reesacat
12-17-11, 04:47 PM
I had the same reaction as bmc65: and since I have brain injury and nerve damage from CFIDS I wonder how much was due from bad diet? I didn't start cleaning up the canola oil until a couple of years ago..........

Samurai
12-17-11, 05:02 PM
Whatever happened to the good 'ol sunflower seed oil from the 1970's? Geeze. It's all so complicated now...

bmc65
12-17-11, 05:08 PM
Reesacat, used reply with quotes, but for some reason it didn't give me the bubble. Could it be because I deleted a portion of the quote?
Samuai, good question, but is sunflower seed oil okay? As you said so complicated now.

Islander
12-17-11, 05:13 PM
Umm also, how do you guys get those cute little blue conversation bubbles to come up when you use someone else's quote.

bmc, you can also copy a sentence, highlight it, and click the "quote balloon" as I did here.