PDA

View Full Version : CBS News: Can Scented Products Make You Sick?

mellowsong
12-31-11, 10:43 AM
No new info here, I'm posting because this came from CBS :)

By Julie Watts
29 December 2011

Wander the household product aisle and take a whiff -- there are plenty of citrus smells, lots of sweet ones, and a mountain of "fresh scents" among the cleaning supplies. But, reports Julie Watts of CBS station KPIX in San Francisco, concern is being expressed that those fragrances might be making some people ill.

Dr. Anne Steinemann of the University of Washington, currently a visiting scientist at Stanford University, recently completed a study of scented products.

"I had phone calls and emails from hundreds of people telling me they were getting sick from common fragrance household products," so she decided to do the study, Steinemann says.
Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500165_162-57349626/can-scented-products-make-you-sick/

Islander
12-31-11, 11:44 AM
It's encouraging to see this kind of information go mainstream. I have half a dozen scented candles I've been given...won't ever use them, don't want to re-gift them (even though I know people who would be happy to have them), but can't bring myself to trash them either. :: le sigh ::

Reesacat
12-31-11, 12:53 PM
I am pet-sitting for neighbor this week and am using a mask with a carbon filter when I go over.
She doesn't use air fresheners or scented candles or Glade plug ins, but the last couple of times I pet sat I got horrible headache with nausea after being in the house for a few minutes. It is the laundry detergent — Gain with some sort of fragrance and bleach and whatever.
Mellow helped me figure out what the problem was and recommended the mask — I got it at:
http://icanbreathe.com/store/honeycomb1.html

So far day 6 pet sitting no headache with the mask!

mellowsong
12-31-11, 01:45 PM
The mask is wonderful. It gets a totally different reaction from people too. Instead of avoidance and fear like the surgical masks I was wearing, the lace mask has actually opened up a few dialogues with some people wanting to know where I got it. It has given me the ability to go into stores like World Market and TJ Maxx that I have had to avoid too. I'd definitely recommend it!

Jane Chitty
12-31-11, 02:07 PM
I have tweeted the link to the lacy bra cup face mask! Just kidding - looks good.