PDA

View Full Version : Leaked: US to Start ‘Trade Wars’ with Nations Opposed to Monsanto, GMO Crops

Islander
01-03-12, 08:28 PM
Anthony Gucciardi
NaturalSociety
January 3, 2011

The United States is threatening nations who oppose Monsanto’s genetically modified (GM) crops with military-style trade wars, according to information obtained and released by the organization WikiLeaks. Nations like France, which have moved to ban one of Monsanto’s GM corn varieties, were requested to be ‘penalized’ by the United States for opposing Monsanto and genetically modified foods. The information reveals just how deep Monsanto’s roots have penetrated key positions within the United States government, with the cables reporting that many U.S. diplomats work directly for Monsanto.

The WikiLeaks cable reveals that in late 2007, the United States ambassador to France and business partner to George W. Bush, Craig Stapleton, requested that the European Union along with particular nations that did not support GMO crops be penalized. Stapleton, who co-owned the Dallas/Fort Worth-based Texas Rangers baseball team with Bush in the 1990s, stated:

“Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits. The list should be measured rather than vicious and must be sustainable over the long term, since we should not expect an early victory. Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voices.”

Read more: http://naturalsociety.com/us-start-trade-wars-with-nations-opposed-to-monsanto-gmo-crops/

StephenX
01-03-12, 08:52 PM
Wonder how many bribes Monsanto is handing out these days?

highlander
01-03-12, 08:56 PM
The day will come when the rest of the world is just going to collectively give the U.S. the finger.

bmc65
01-03-12, 09:55 PM
Gee I really hope so highlander. 205

Ooo and I added a random photo!!!

Reesacat
01-03-12, 10:02 PM
The date was 2007 — I didn't see any new information. I am sure they are still conniving, but I do think it is somewhat irresponsible of Natural Society to portray documents from 2007 as a current crisis without new information.

Islander
01-04-12, 10:05 AM
Reesacat, he refers to the original leaked cables but brings us up to date, as the campaign continues. He links to this Guardian story: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/03/wikileaks-us-eu-gm-crops

Reesacat
01-04-12, 11:09 AM
I read the Guardian article last night before posting. The dates were 2007, 2008 for Vatican, and the most current mention was the withdrawal of Cardinal Martino's support for Monsanto now the Iraq war is ended. It's murky. I tried to pull up the cables last night to read the dates and links failed.
My thinking on this is:
The article is probably correct since Monstanto has a history of doing this and is still buying politicians and directing policy.
My objection is when you read the title you think you are getting current information, when the story is built on leaks from 2007-2008 and some comments from Vatican officials. The cables that refer to the Spanish government I think are also in that time period.
In the future when I read an article from Natural Society I am going to check their timelines.