PDA

View Full Version : Overeating, Protein and Weight Gain

mellowsong
01-04-12, 09:10 AM
Kathleen Doheny
3 January 2012

Here’s a new study we really could have used before the holidays: If you are going to overeat, be sure your diet has enough protein.

Body fat increases in all who overeat, regardless of the level of protein eaten, the researchers found. But those who overate with low protein levels in their diet stored a higher percent of calories as fat. They also lost lean body mass, while those on the higher-protein diets gained lean body mass.

The messages are clear, says researcher George Bray, MD, Boyd professor and professor of medicine at the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La.

Calories count, and so does protein. "Very low protein diets are clearly detrimental," Bray says. "You lose lean body mass."

Read more: http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20120103/bottom-line-overeating-boosts-fat-whatever-the-protein-level

mellowsong
01-04-12, 09:14 AM
I changed the title because I believe the original title emphasizes the wrong thing. Of course, if you overeat, you'll gain fat. However, what this study really showed was that if you have an adequate protein intake, you will also gain LEAN body mass (muscle). Although the group that ate the least protein gained the least amount of weight, they also LOST lean body mass and gained more fat while the high protein group gained 7lbs in lean body mass.

Reesacat
01-04-12, 11:12 AM
That is fascinating, Mellow — thank you!

bmc65
01-05-12, 02:28 PM
Mellow, glad you posted this. ABC news touched on this and of course under emphasized the benefit of eating higher protein. They did mention about low protein = lower lean tissue, but the way it was all presented just doesn't drive how the right message if you get what I mean.