PDA

View Full Version : Red Cabbage Found To Contain 36 Anti-Cancer Properties

MooniePetul
09-19-11, 10:04 PM
Source : www.naturalnews.com (http://www.naturalnews.com)

Red cabbage contains 36 different varieties of anthocyanins, a class of flavonoids that have been linked to cancer protection, according to a new study conducted by researchers from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Agricultural Research Service (ARS) and published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.

Anthocyanins are naturally occurring pigments that give fruits and berries their red, blue and purple coloration. A variety of studies have shown that in addition to protecting against cancer, anthocyanins can improve heart health and brain function. Another recent laboratory study by the ARS found that some varieties of anthocyanin have twice the antioxidant effect of vitamin C. The effects of those different antioxidants in the human body have not yet been tested.

Read more at http://www.foodmatters.tv/_webapp_195158/Red_Cabbage_Found_To_Contain_36_Anti-Cancer_Properties

wr7476
01-05-12, 11:34 PM
Thanks Moonie. I'll pass this on to my uncle who has leuk.

Islander
01-06-12, 11:01 AM
Hmm. Thx for the reminder. Soon be time to order seeds...gonna grow some this year!

bmc65
01-07-12, 02:04 PM
Okay, if anyone has a good recipe for red cabbage I'd really like it. I made my usual cabbage soup subbing red cabbage not to long ago. The soup has a tomato base so the red and purple wear pretty garish to look at. In addition, it did not taste as good. I'm not sure if it was the fault of the cabbage or if mine somehow, but I'd like to find a different way to prepare it anyway.

Aaltrude
01-07-12, 02:17 PM
Not a recipe as such but red cabbage is nice cooked with onion, apple and cloves.

Islander
01-07-12, 10:42 PM
Go to the kitchen.

mellowsong
01-08-12, 10:33 AM
When I find it, I like to mix the red cabbage with green in the sauerkraut I make. There's also a sweet and sour red cabbage recipe I make occasionally I'll post in gluten free kitchen. I've made it a few times with green cabbage but red definitely better.

StephenX
01-19-12, 07:47 PM
When I was young, I got impetigo. My grandmother made a poultice out of boiled red cabbage. And put it on the blisters. Healed it up really quick, faster than my cousin who went to a doctor. It would probably be cool to make kimchi with it. A super food for sure. Good thread MooniePetul, well done. Huzzah!

Pattypans
01-20-12, 09:08 AM
Next time it's available at my organic coop, I'll get some to make fermented cabbage, which, by the way, I'm going to make for the first time, I think, after tomorrow's coop pickup. Which reminds me, I have a question about making it, but I guess I'll put it over in the q&a section.

Islander
01-20-12, 10:56 AM
Seems odd that this thread has already had 171 views. Hard to predict what's going to capture imaginations!

wr7476
01-30-12, 11:45 PM
@bmc65. Chop 1/4 head red cabbage and 1/4 head green cabbage to bite size ( 1 1/2 " or so). Discard core portions. Chop the bulb portion of a fennel bulb to half bite size. Discard core and discard stems or save them for other uses. Steam over med heat about 15 mins or to desired tenderness. Try it just like that to get a feel for the base flavor. You'll see that the licorice flavor will be gone from the fennel and the cabbage is... just try it.
Once you have the base taste in mind, you can play with it. Begian endives, raddichio, kale, dandelion leaf, parsley, whatever. Sometimes I add dry oregano before serving. Dont forget to invite dry oregano to your next vinaigrette salad either.

bmc65
01-31-12, 08:05 PM
Recipes sound delicious. Now to get in the kitchen.