PDA

View Full Version : Craving vs Craving

sollyb
01-14-12, 12:13 PM
I have read two completely opposite reasons for food cravings...........

1) you crave something because your body NEEDS that food, or some constituent of that food

2) you crave something because it is an allergen for you and food allergens tend to be "addictive"

How are these two ideas to be reconciled? And whether they CAN be reconciled or not, how is a person to know which kind of craving they are experiencing? (If both can be true at different times or in different circumstances).

Reesacat
01-14-12, 01:18 PM
Do you do any type of muscle-testing, sollyb?
I use it to see if a food is good or bad for me.

Katee
01-14-12, 02:04 PM
Well, this opinion, but i think the definition of craving depends on how well someone is able to be in tune with their bodies, and how much processed junk they eat.

A natural craving can indicate a need. Duane did the hCG with me for my/our first round. (He didn't do subsequent ones as he had no more weight to lose.) At the end of that round he was craving bananas. We figured he might need the potassium or some such in it. He had one or two bananas and his craving was satisfied. I see this as natural. When the need is satisfied, the craving stops.

Junk food cravings are different as they are, largely, never satisfied. I would put this more in the category of addiction rather than a true craving. Addiction will never be satisfied, it will continue regardless of the attempt to satisfy. The chemicals in junk food are directly responsible for this. Many of the chemicals are exo-toxins that stimulate the brain and create desire for more.

Allergies can do the same thing. I can't tell you how many people have told me they "can't live" without bread. I can't know, but i do guess that many of them are gluten-intolerant. Somehow that creates this deep desire for the bread even tho it is harming them. There is some evidence, also, that candida (yeast) overgrowth creates a similar desire. Many people have issues with candida due to the over-use of antibiotics, tho most doctors do not recognize this. When the yeast gets completely out of control, it releases toxins that drive the appetite to eat more gluten, which feeds the yeast.

I don't know that you need to reconcile these as they really are entirely different. Natural cravings can be easily satisfied. Addiction or allergy cravings simply cause the person to desire more and more, generally with less satisfaction over time.

mellowsong
01-14-12, 02:11 PM
I think both sides are right, cravings can either indicate a deficiency or they can indicate yeast or allergy or other intolerance, addiction. Here is one chart that gives a good idea of what deficiencies various cravings can cause: http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

There's a very old thread here giving 8 reasons why you have cravings. http://www.hawkeshealth.net/community/showthread.php?t=8282&highlight=cravings

Unfortunately, it is not cut and dry. You can try muscle testing as Reesacat suggested. If a craving is for something healthy, like chocolate (within reason) try it and see what happens. If for sugar, simple carbs, you can be pretty darn sure it's yeast or addiction. If you do crave something and eat it, keep a diary for a while and see how you feel, even 24 to 48 hours later. If you crave dairy but notice stuffed up sinus, increased pain, lethargy, brain fog or other stuff over the next few days, then that would indicate probable allergy or intolerance.

Reesacat
01-14-12, 02:41 PM
Dairy gives me bladder spasms and UTI as well as sinus.

Julieanne
01-15-12, 06:00 AM
I have a craving for chocolate that has been going on for about a year or so. I have decided it is an addiction , as I take a mag supplement (someone suggested I needed more mag), so it's not that. Just love the taste and feel of it.

sollyb
01-19-12, 04:01 PM
Muscle testing doesn't work for me.

Reesacat
01-19-12, 04:15 PM
Understand about the muscle testing.. A few years ago it didn't work that well for me; but as I got chemcials out of the house and my personal care products and went gluten and dairy free it has become very reliable.
I had so much inflammation from gluten and dairy I think it "gummed up" the muscle testing.

sollyb
01-19-12, 04:21 PM
I read somewhere that chocolate is a good source of copper, and that craving chocolate can be an indicator of copper deficiency.

I found this nutritional info on cocoa powder.........

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=19165&t=19165&h=19165&s=100&e=86.00&r=5.40

sollyb
01-19-12, 04:24 PM
Reesacat,
Muscle testing:
Well, I admit it has been a few years since I tried it, more than a few, probably, but it was so unreliable and wrong results caused me enough problems that I just can't think of it as anything useful to ME.......and in fact, I see it as being scary, again, for me.......

Aaltrude
01-19-12, 04:24 PM
Muscle testing doesn't work for me.
I use crystal dowsing rather than muscle testing sollyb. It gives the same answers but does require the purchase of a suitable crystal. You can find some info on it here: http://www.spectrumwellbeing.co.uk/dowsingpendulums.htm and a google search will probably bring up a lot more info.

sollyb
01-19-12, 10:58 PM
At the time, I tried every variation I could find...........dowsing, and many variations of muscle testing.....