PDA

View Full Version : Monsanto slammed for false "GM is safe" advertising

Islander
01-16-12, 02:00 PM
Historical evidence that Monsanto can be beaten in a court of law.

Trevor Wells
no dates other than internal ones

Another example of Monsanto's web of deceit. It's interesting that the judge at the S African Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) accepted that "no negative reactions to GM foods have ever been reported" was a lie, and also accepted that Covance Laboratories (used by Monsanto all the time to do their lab testing and to prepare dossiers) were well known for the production of corrupt scientific evidence.

Falsified GM food safety claims rejected by South Africa

By Trevor Wells Farmers Legal Action Group-South Africa
On 26 June 2006 Farmers legal Action-South Africa published an article headed "Monsanto tells a pack of lies in South Africa". See article below. The article exposed how Monsanto had told the South African Advertising Authority (ASA) that MON 863 was not their product. MON 863 was in fact their product and had been found to cause damage to rats in independent trials in Europe. Monsanto had in fact made an application for this product to be released in South Africa. The ASA ordered Monsanto SA to withdraw its advert which depicted a mother with two children in a kitchen looking at a cake. Among other false claims the advert stated "no negative reactions to GM foods have ever been reported". The advert also falsely claimed that genetically modified foods contained enhanced proteins, vitamins and anti-oxidants and removed allergens. Whilst there was an uproar from responsible parenting organisations and in fact proof that no commercial GM products had ever been commercially released with the enhanced claims, the ASA found it unnecessary to deal with those aspects. It ordered the removal of the advert based on the false claim that "No negative reactions to GM foods have ever been reported." During the hearing, Monsanto attempted to distract the worthy panel of arbitrators, headed by Justice King, a no non-sense judge who rose to fame as the doyen of "Corporate Governance", by arguing the merits of GM products as against the truthfulness of their claims. They produced a letter from Covance Laboratories in the USA, which claimed that they were an independent laboratory and which "praised the benefits of GM Corn." Justice King ruled that the benefits of GM corn had nothing to do with the case in front of them.
Covance Laboratories have a history of abuse and have been fined on several occasions in Europe and the USA for the appalling conditions under which experiments are conducted and for outright vicious treatment of laboratory animals. Their track record is second only to Monsanto's long history of convictions for racketeering, bribery and corruption. Covance was used by big tobacco to produce propaganda which was also proved false.

Read more: http://www.gmfreecymru.org/documents/monsanto_slammed.htm

Reesacat
01-16-12, 02:39 PM
In the article it stated:
"The facts are that MON 863 is indeed a product of Monsanto and that Monsanto had suppressed the evidence of serious damage to the liver and kidneys of rats in their own GM maize trials until ordered to release this evidence by a German Court."

I wonder if MON 863 is in US corn?

Islander
01-17-12, 05:36 PM
I wondered too, so I did some looking around. Here's part of what I found:

"The European Food Safety Authority, having examined all the available data, including the 90 day feeding study in rats together with supplemental analysis completed by Monsanto, approved MON863 corn for use in the European Union in April 2004, stating that the 'placing on the market of MON 863 is unlikely to have an adverse affect on human and animal health or on the environment in the context of its proposed use'. MON 863 corn has also been approved for use in Japan, Canada and the United States."
http://www.foodsmart.govt.nz/whats-in-our-food/genetically-modifed-food/monsanto-corn/

And here's the 90-day rat study referred to in all the literature — showing indisputable organ damage, and " In addition, unintended direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification cannot be excluded."
http://www.biolsci.org/v05p0706.htm

The tyranny of greed has never been more apparent...or uglier.

Pattypans
01-18-12, 06:23 AM
So, to paraphrase: "The European organism that Europeans thought was looking out for them is aware of the indisputable fact that MON863 causes organ damage in rats, and also realizes that there might be direct or indirect metabolic consequences of the genetic modification. So they decreed that it’s probably safe and approved it for use. For human beings.”

You'd think they'd be ashamed to be so bold about it! This situation goes beyond even applying the precautionary principle, because there's enough evidence to deny approval on fact, IMO.

Islander
01-18-12, 09:56 AM
That's about it, Pattypans. It couldn't be plainer. And that's only a 90-day rat study. Imagine what we might find if we followed real human beings for, say...oh, I dunno...a year.

Pattypans
01-18-12, 10:13 AM
That's about it, Pattypans. It couldn't be plainer. And that's only a 90-day rat study. Imagine what we might find if we followed real human beings for, say...oh, I dunno...a year.
Right! And what about the damage that might not show up for a whole generation?! I don't know, I don't have words for how stupid, dangerous and, yes, wicked the whole GM story is. And you can add forced fluoridation to that!

Reesacat
01-18-12, 11:20 AM
Corn is NOT a safe grain — even if you tolerate it the GMO modifications will kill you.
I know there are a few heirloom organic corn strains out there, but it is hard to find.

StephenX
01-19-12, 12:30 AM
If Monsanto's Frankenfoods are so safe and good for us, why do they fight GMO labeling tooth and nail? At least, for now, one can avoid GMO's by using organic foods. How long will it be until companies like Monsanto bribe enough politicians to force the USDA to allow GMO's to be labeled "organic". Oops, that's right, we already have "organic" canola oil. Reesacat, the Ojibwa tribe here in Wisconsin grows traditional white corn. I am going to try to grow it this year. I pretty much stick to heirloom. open pollinated seeds. I can save them from year to year. A good friend of mine says she grinds organic yellow popcorn for grits and corn meal. Says it works great. Akita mani yo!