PDA

View Full Version : The Peanut Allergy Epidemic - What's Causing it and How to Stop it

Islander
02-03-12, 11:15 AM
Sounds like something I'd like to pursue.

Why is the peanut allergy an epidemic that only seems to be found in Western cultures? Where did this allergy come from, and do pharmaceuticals play a role in the disturbing human phenomenon? After her own child had an anaphylactic reaction to peanut butter, historian Heather Fraser decided to discover the answers to these questions. Delving into the history of this rapidly growing allergy, Fraser uncovers the first allergy epidemic that occurred in children over 100 years ago. Her research pinpoints the moment around 1990 that the incidence of peanut allergy suddenly accelerated in children and explores the complex weave of social, medical, political, and economic factors that support its persistence. Fraser asks bold questions and attempts to answer why and how the epidemic of peanut allergy has occurred - a shocking must-read for every parent, teacher, and health professional.

http://shop.avn.org.au/the-peanut-allergy-epidemic/

StephenX
02-03-12, 03:20 PM
Isn't a lot of the anaphylactic reaction due to fungal contaminants that occur during the processing and storage of peanuts? I've read that there are fewer problems when using Valencia peanuts. If it weren't for peanut butter (organic, with no hydrogenated oils or added sugar, sorry Skippy), I would have starved to death years ago.

mellowsong
02-03-12, 03:36 PM
@StephenX: Valencia peanuts grow in areas that are pretty dry and are therefore much more resistant to aflatoxin contamination than other peanuts. So, your best bet is organic Valencia peanuts/peanut butter. Some brands even state aflatoxin free on the label.

StephenX
02-03-12, 03:43 PM
@StephenX: Valencia peanuts grow in areas that are pretty dry and are therefore much more resistant to aflatoxin contamination than other peanuts. So, your best bet is organic Valencia peanuts/peanut butter. Some brands even state aflatoxin free on the label.

That's what I eat.

Aaltrude
02-03-12, 03:48 PM
I have read numerous articles pointing the blame for the rise in peanut allergies on the increasing vaccination schedule due to peanut products being included in the vaccines.

Islander
02-03-12, 04:30 PM
That's my take too, Aaltrude. There's peanut oil in a lot of vaccines.

Reesacat
02-03-12, 10:00 PM
Islander you posted a good review of this same book last year on HH:
http://www.hawkeshealth.net/community/showthread.php?t=8358

Islander
02-04-12, 12:52 AM
Islander you posted a good review of this same book last year on HH:
http://www.hawkeshealth.net/community/showthread.php?t=8358

Did it again, did I? You all know I'm not famous for my memory. But the titles are slightly different. I wonder whether the one in this thread is a newer edition.

highlander
02-04-12, 06:27 PM
Does this mean you get a spanking? JK ;)

Islander
02-04-12, 08:14 PM
Does this mean you get a spanking? JK ;)

Why yes, it does. If anyone dares to administer it.

:: glares at Reesacat ::

Samurai
02-04-12, 08:40 PM
My partner, Casey developed a severe peanut allergy after having been vaccinated over and over by the military just like Mellow.