PDA

View Full Version : FDA Finds Lead in 400 Lipsticks

mellowsong
02-14-12, 05:37 PM
By Dina ElBoghdady
14 February 2012

Four hundred of the nation’s most popular lipsticks contained trace levels of lead when tested recently by the federal government, confirming similar results of earlier analyses but on a much wider scale and at higher levels than previously detected.

Five L’Oreal and Maybelline lipsticks, owned by L’Oreal USA, ranked among the top 10 most contaminated brands, according to the analysis by the Food and Drug Administration. Two Cover Girl and two NARS lipsticks also landed in top 10 slots, as did one from Stargazer.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/400-lipstick-brands-contain-lead-fda-says/2012/02/14/gIQAhOyeDR_story.html?tid=pm_pop

mellowsong
02-14-12, 05:40 PM
The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics has been fighting the lead issue for years. Here's how the FDA responded to its own findings: The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics tested 33 red lipsticks in 2007 and found that two-thirds of them contained lead — and that one-third of those exceeded the FDA’s limit for lead in candy. The FDA followed up with its own tests on 20 lipsticks in 2008 and then on 400 lipsticks in the most recent analysis, and found detectable levels in all the products it tested. But the FDA, which posted its latest findings online in December, said comparing lipstick to candy is unfair. Where do they think lipstick goes as it wears off the lips?

Reesacat
02-14-12, 05:55 PM
FDA is NUTZ! Women are constantly licking and chewing off lipstick. And lead accumulates in tissues so repeated exposure means increased levels.

mellowsong
02-14-12, 06:05 PM
They must think it evaporates into thin air! Even then you'd inhale the lead, lol.

highlander
02-15-12, 11:04 PM
Did you see where one commenter wrote "a half cup of cooked Brussels sprouts has 7.9 ppm of lead"? I don't know if that's true but that would put things in perspective.

Samurai
02-16-12, 12:32 AM
Notice it's all the cheap brands that you can get at Walgreens.

mellowsong
02-16-12, 10:31 AM
Did you see where one commenter wrote "a half cup of cooked Brussels sprouts has 7.9 ppm of lead"? I don't know if that's true but that would put things in perspective.

I can't say the person is wrong (but sure wish they'd supplied a source) but after an extensive search, including PubMed, I cannot find a single reference to lead content of Brussels sprouts. Brussels sprouts are very high in vitamin C. The higher your vitamin C levels, the lower your lead burden. Real foods come with a plethora of nutrients that work together.