PDA

View Full Version : Organic vs. Conventional: What Should I Buy

mellowsong
02-21-12, 11:32 AM
Traci Sellers
16 January 2012

When 70% of your food intake is fresh produce, the question of whether to buy conventional or organic is going to come up. In the first part of this article, flavor, nutrition and energetic difference were discussed. In the second part we'll take a look at cost and pesticide.

Where are you financially? It is true that the cost and availability of organic produce is improving. This is going to be helped tremendously by your willingness as a consumer to choose organic (it is a supply and demand thing)...As a student of one of my nutrition classes once related, when she looks at that margin of difference between the organic choice and the conventional, she chooses the organic and says to herself, "I'm worth it". Being able to recognize that one is worth the difference is an admirable position to be in, since it enables you to act in your own best interests.
Read more: http://www.alignlife.com/articles/food/Organic_vs_Conventional__What_Should_I_Buy_Part_II .html

mellowsong
02-21-12, 11:34 AM
This is a slightly different perspective on buying organic. She feels that it is better to consume lots of conventional produce vs small amounts of organic if budget won't support all organic. In a way, I do agree with this and I do feel switching to grass fed and/or organic meat and dairy is the first step. Also, the first article she references seems to have vanished into cyber space.

Mr. Wizard
02-21-12, 09:22 PM
I use to struggle with the cost difference between organic vs. conventional produce. But, also decided that I'm worth the extra costs. Sometimes, however, it is financially difficult to buy all organic produce. So, whenever I'm forced to conserve my budget, I consult the Envrionmental Working Group's Shopper's Guide, which lists the produce with the "heaviest" and the "lowest" amounts of pesticides and chemicals. For example, the EWG lists the following (in order) as being the "LOWEST" in pesticidies: 1. onions, 2. sweet corn, 3. pineapples, 4. Avocado, 5. asparagus, 6. sweet peas, 7. mangoes, 8. eggplant, 9. cantaloupe, 10. kiwi, 11. cabbage, 12. watermelon, 13. sweet potatoes, 14. grapefruit, and 15. mushrooms. While these are the lowest in terms of pesticides, buying some of these conventionally, like corn, could present certain GMO issues. But, it is somewhat comforting to know that you do have the option of buying these 15 items conventionally and not be too terribly concerned about the pesticide load. Apples, btw, were listed as having the heaviest pesticide load of all fruits and veggies. Here's a link to the full list: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

bmc65
02-22-12, 12:09 AM
I lean more toward the camp that believes it's better to eat a lot of varied produce than meager amounts of the same thing, (that happens to be organic). Like Mr Wizard, I try to stick to the dirty dozen as my baseline for organic shopping, and if there is more in the organic realm available I get it. Most of the time for me cost has nothing to do with it, I just can't find what I want in stores and I don't want to be restricted to the same thing over and over.

mellowsong
02-22-12, 10:36 AM
I agree with both Mr. Wizard and bmc; for most people, it is better to eat a lot of conventional than tiny bits of organic. For the most part, I do buy organic because of the MCS and some really horrid reactions.