PDA

View Full Version : Organic vs Natural: What's the Difference?

mellowsong
03-17-12, 09:12 AM
No Author
No Date

When products are labeled with the USDA Organic symbol, here’s what you can expect and trust:
No toxic synthetic pesticides, herbicides, or fumigants
No chemical fertilizers or sewer sludge used as fertilizer
No planting of genetically engineered crops or use of cloned animals
No synthetic hormones or antibiotics
No artificial preservatives
No artificial colors or synthetic flavors and sweeteners
No trans fats
No irradiation

Read more: http://www.generationsoforganic.org/all-about-organic/organic-vs-natural/

StephenX
03-17-12, 02:27 PM
Not only is organic food better for you. It is better for the earth, as organic growing techniques nurture the soil and encourage beneficial insects. Commercial farming kills the soil; and then all you have is a perverse style of hydroponic agriculture that relies on petroleum based fertilizers.

Julieanne
03-18-12, 06:59 AM
This is a very 'negative' list: no this, no that, no, no, no. What about all the positives? Steven has already pointed out a few. I would prefer to see statements that emphasise the good things that orgaic produce contains, and what it does for the earth.

Pattypans
03-18-12, 08:24 AM
I see your point, Julieanne. But it is a reality that there are seemingly innumerable toxins and harmful practices and additives that are necessary to avoid if you want to be healthy.

StephenX
03-18-12, 05:31 PM
I see your point, Julieanne. But it is a reality that there are seemingly innumerable toxins and harmful practices and additives that are necessary to avoid if you want to be healthy.

Shopping in a standard grocery store is like negotiating a mine field. People stare at me when I read the labels. When they ask me why, I ask them why they would ingest something that they have no idea what it contains. If a clerk says "you sure buy a lot of organic stuff" they get a mini-lecture.

Reesacat
03-18-12, 06:31 PM
I think the point of this list was to inform people who don't know the difference between organic and natural so they could make better choices in the USA grocery stores as corporations are "greenwashing" everything....

StephenX
03-18-12, 09:01 PM
Good point Reesa. "Natural" is the most misleading label out there. It means nothing. What one cleans out of a kitteh litter box is "all natural".

Islander
03-18-12, 10:11 PM
Ew. Point taken, Stephen.