PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Alternative Sweeteners

mellowsong
04-02-12, 09:15 AM
Kristin Kons
1 April 2012

No matter what type of diet you follow, we all know that the number one thing to eliminate is sugar. And so we all go on the hunt for something to replace it. That’s where “alternative” sugars come in. So, what are alternative sugars? Some are actually sugars, such as honey, agave and coconut palm sugar. Other types are herbs like stevia or luo han, and then there are the infamous sugar alcohols, such as xylitol and erythritol.

Alternative sweeteners are all the rage these days, touting all of their benefits, leading you to believe that they are a health food. So, let’s take a look at some of the most popular and up-and-coming alternative sweeteners. Are they healthy? Which ones are Phase 1 friendly? Is it ok if they are made from corn?

Read more: http://video-knowthecause.com/FindInformation/NewsletterArticles/tabid/84/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1196/The-Truth-about-Alternative-Sugars.aspx

Islander
04-02-12, 09:39 AM
Great analysis! Can you please explain her references to Phases 1 and 2? She must be referring to some healing process.

mellowsong
04-02-12, 11:29 AM
Great analysis! Can you please explain her references to Phases 1 and 2? She must be referring to some healing process.
I'm sorry for not explaining that. This came from Doug Kaufman "Know the Cause" about mold toxicity and healing. She is referring to phases of his program.

bmc65
04-02-12, 07:16 PM
I saw no mention of maple syrup.

Islander
04-02-12, 08:22 PM
Good point, bmc. I love maple syrup but as a diabetic I have to use it sparingly. Some people have asked, Why is some maple syrup labeled organic? Isn't it just boiled down from sap into sugar? Well it is in my place, but it has a tendency to foam, especially as it gets close to being finished (you have to boil down 35-40 quarts of sap to get a quart of syrup). Big commercial operations use a chemical anti-foaming agent. Organic producers do not. The price differential is not huge and I'd go for the organic, given a choice.

bmc65
04-02-12, 10:29 PM
Thanks Islander. I had no idea there was that level of processing involved. Now what about molasses?

Islander
04-03-12, 09:44 AM
Thanks Islander. I had no idea there was that level of processing involved. Now what about molasses?
I don't know how molasses is processed (except to say that it's less processed than any refined sugars). I do know that blackstrap molasses is supposedly a whisker better than "plain" molasses, and higher in good minerals. I take a spoonful every now and then to keep up my iron levels.

Pattypans
07-27-12, 06:01 PM
Just a quick note--I was doing a search on agave here and noticed that the link in the first post is broken. I wanted to send a PM but I'm not getting it to work.

Reesacat
07-27-12, 06:15 PM
Just a quick note--I was doing a search on agave here and noticed that the link in the first post is broken. I wanted to send a PM but I'm not getting it to work.
I fixed it Pattypans — see if it works for you now?

Pattypans
07-27-12, 06:18 PM
I fixed it Pattypans — see if it works for you now?

Wow! It's fixed. That was faster than fast. Thank you. Maybe that on again, off again tiara of yours should be replaced by a Superwoman fascinator.

Reesacat
07-27-12, 06:22 PM
LOL@Pattypans! Thank you for spotting the broken link and letting us know. Fixin' is easy once I know where the problem is....like so many things in life :)..................