Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish

Default Is That The Fish You Thought It Is?

Stephanie Ebbs
    December 18 2018

The New York Attorney General is out with a new investigation that found more than a quarter of fish bought in New York supermarkets is labeled as a different kind of fish. It's a trend that could indicate negligent marketing or even fraud.Investigators from the attorney general's office tested 29 different supermarket brands from 155 different stores over the last year. They found 26.92 percent of the samples were mislabeled. For example, farm-raised salmon that was being sold as "wild caught." The DNA of fish purchased by investigators was tested by the Ocean Genome Legacy Center at Northeastern University and compared to the label.

Read more: https://www.organicconsumers.org/new...eafood-counter

Default Re: Fish

Savvy shoppers should be able to tell at a glance the difference between farmed and wild salmon. There is no comparison and the difference is obvious to the naked eye. The farmed fish are pale pink and pulpy; the wild fish are deepest salmon pink and firm.
    But more concerning is an item I heard on the news tonight: wild fish are caught on the high seas along with other illegal activities and sold or traded before coming to market; labels on the fish you see cannot be guaranteed accurate. I found this very disturbing but haven't had time to follow up on background. Anybody?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Brings to mind an article I read about a year ago (no reference at this moment) having to do with the US administration now having abandoned Country Of Origin Labeling (COOL). Without these laws in place, any fish can be labeled as anything the seller likes.

That law may not be enforced, but the Hannaford chain where I do business does in fact label COOL and wild-caught or farmed. At least I like to think they're accurate, although the chain is now global; it's part of the Ahold Delhaize group based in the Netherlands. Customer service and inventory control have tanked, at least in our branch.

There are no guarantees when buying fish. I don't buy fish from the supermarket and never order it at a restaurant. For over a decade, I have used a single supplier for my fish purchases, and have limited my selections to haddock and sockeye salmon.

Good policy, Mr. Wizard. Living so close to the coast (an hour's drive), I have access to fresh local seafood. Not always affordable, but there... the fresh fish truck comes to my town once or twice a week.

Lucky you....hmmmm, fresh "local" seafood sounds heavenly!!

Here is a possible alternative to salmon, that I have previously posted about on occasion, fresh water Asian Carp. Another alternative to fish farming is the availability of the invasive, over abundant, wild river Asian Carp. Say what you want about some of our rivers, but it has to be safer than the types of fish farms we read about, not to mention trace element plastics from ocean fish:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_6324896.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=asia...KfAEIQ_AUICSgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfG4vsJ5_xI You can keep on watching the subsequent CNN and other news report videos about how the invasive and overly abundant Asian Carp are threatening to enter the Great Lakes. If you can't beat 'em, then eat em'.
    Last edited by grulla; 12-22-18 at 05:56 PM.

And it appears that the U.S. is not the only country over run by the invasive Asian Carp, as Australia is dealing with that invasive Asian Carp as well. Bon appetite Julianne, .
    https://www.circleofblue.org/2016/au...g-river-basin/
    Last edited by grulla; 12-22-18 at 09:04 PM. Reason: oops, belated link

It is known as mud carp here, and no-one will eat it. Perhaps a few Chinese? Not even sure about that. It makes good fertiliser when turned into fish emulsion, popular with gardeners.

Grulla, why is it an alternative to salmon? Is it high in Omega-3s also?

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Grulla, why is it an alternative to salmon? Is it high in Omega-3s also?
    Perhaps this link can answer that, as it shows carp is 1% higher in sat fat than sockeye salmon, according to the article charts.

Also, these Asian Carp are wild, freshwater fish that are not farmed, and very abundant, so our appetite for "overgrazing" our natural resources probably wouldn't be a problem with this invasive fresh water river fish. https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/ca...carp-225841960

https://skipthepie.org/finfish-and-s...fish-carp-raw/

Where I live, Albertson's Supermarket, (now merged with Safeway) has a fresh meat and fish dept, and sell fresh, wildcaught sockeye salmon, but so far, I have not seen Asian Carp there, but will keep on looking for it. The desert southwest isn't exactly the seafood 'capitol' of the U.S.,
    Last edited by grulla; 12-23-18 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added sockeye vs carp link

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    It is known as mud carp here, and no-one will eat it. Perhaps a few Chinese? Not even sure about that. It makes good fertiliser when turned into fish emulsion, popular with gardeners.
    The Asian Carp strain are not bottom feeder mud fish according to this article, "But the Asian carp is a filter feeder, so it doesn’t have the muddy taste associated with the bottom-feeding common carp." Perhaps Oz has more than one variety of carp causing confusion??? Let's not overlook the "horn of plenty". http://eattheinvaders.org/asian-carp/

So, the two are essentially equal in Omega-3s... Sockeye salmon 0.737 vs. 0.622 for the carp. Interesting.

I believe Asian carp is different from the common "mud" carp...a bottom feeder. Asian carp actually feeds on lots of plankton & algae and has pretty decent white meat. Although Asian carp can weight up to 100 lbs., it's extremely low in mercury because it doesn't eat other smaller fish. Some say it taste a lot like talapia, which I don't eat. Asian carp is a threat to native species of fish because they eat large amounts of plankton & algae, threatening the food supply for other species.
    Asian carp is actually 4 different types: bighead, black, grass, and silver carp. It has overtaken large parts of the Illinois & Mississippi rivers, advancing towards the Great Lakes. The government would love for us to "eat up," as the hundreds of millions of dollars spent to contain Asian carp has all but failed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information