Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Gluten Free? Millet could be the perfect whole grain for you

Default Re: Looking for Gluten Free? Millet could be the perfect whole grain for you

Thanks Islander, I saw that recipe and was interested, I just need to get it together and buy the ingredients to try it out.
    Juilieanne, I thought you had difficulty gaining weight. Are you on thyroid meds for hyper or hypo thyroid? I'm with Islander and Reesacat. If you're having success with your current diet, don't sweat it, or just make sure you supplement with iodine or a sea veg as needed. We periodically take kelp. I figure a bit of naturally occurring iodine is wise anyway because of Fukushima fallout.

Default Re: Looking for Gluten Free? Millet could be the perfect whole grain for you

Quote Originally Posted by Julieanne View Post
    mellow, I never boil my veggies (except for potatoes). They are always steamed, so no contact with water. Is this enough, do you think, to destroy goitrogens? I am on thyroid meds, so maybe it's OK.
    Julieanne, I could have sworn I answered this yesterday...either I've lost my mind or the post is lost in cyberspace, lol. I've read mixed things on steaming but the consensus seems to be that yes, steaming inactivates goitrogens as long as steamed until fully cooked. Since you are on thyroid meds, it doesn't really matter anyway. Since the goitrogens affect the thyroid gland, and you are bypassing the gland, then it's not a problem.

Thanks for the answer mellow.

bmc, what a good memory you have! I am hypo, and according to most everything I read, that should cause weight gain. Not with me. Actually, I have very few of the typical symptoms, which made me think (after I had done a lot of searching) that my original problem was probably adrenals rather than thyroid. Not that docs ever recognise this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information