Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting - is this the better way for a natural function?

Default Squatting - is this the better way for a natural function?

Jane Chitty
    23 May 2012

Recently, I have noticed a new product being advertised and that is the Squatty Potty – wonderful name and such a good idea for putting you in a natural squatting position (for those all important bowel movements) rather than the normal western method which indirectly can actually lead to hemorrhoids, anal fissures and other problems.

The Squatty Potty - new and innovative but of course, at the same time, as old as the hills.

A squat toilet is the name given to a toilet used by squatting rather than by sitting. It is also known as an Arabic, French, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Iranian, Indian, Turkish, natural-position toilet or a Nile pan. Although there are several types of squat toilets, essentially they all consist of a hole in the ground! The only exception is a "pedestal" squat toilet, which is of the same height as a sitting toilet.

There are many problems with sitting instead of squatting and these are not limited to bowel movements alone. Women who squat will often find that their urinary flow is stronger and easier with the bladder being emptied more completely. This can actually reduce the chance of cystitis and urinary tract infections which affect so many women.

Other problems that squatting instead of sitting can resolve are:

- Protecting the nerves that control the prostate, bladder and uterus from becoming stretched and damaged.

- Securely sealing the ileocecal valve which is between the colon and the small intestine. In the conventional sitting position, this valve is unsupported and often leaks during a bowel movement, perhaps contaminating the small intestine.

- Relaxing the puborectalis muscle which normally chokes the rectum in order to maintain continence.

- Using the thighs to support the colon and prevent straining. Chronic straining on the toilet can cause such problems as hernias or pelvic organ prolapse.

- Providing, a highly effective, non-invasive treatment for hemorrhoids as shown by published clinical research.

- Avoiding pressure on the uterus in pregnant women when using the toilet. In addition, daily squatting helps prepare the mother-to-be for a more natural delivery.

- Avoiding constipation by allowing complete elimination during a bowel movement. Unfortunately, constipation is a common problem in the western world due to an often unsuitable diet lower in fiber, too little exercise and other poor lifestyle choices. Constipation is the primary cause of hemorrhoids and/or anal fissures which can be very painful conditions with considerable discomfort.

- Eliminating completely can maintain good colon health because many studies have pointed to fecal buildup in the colon as a cause of diseases including colon cancer. Such build up also means that we do not absorb all the nutrients from the food we eat.

- Supporting the female pelvic organs which straining on a toilet can cause to prolapse or slip out of place. The “sitting” position causes a great amount of pressure on the anorectal angle of the colon so that the lower part of the colon can drop and protrude into the wall of the vagina. Pelvic floor nerves can be protected by squatting for bowel elimination. Men can also suffer from pelvic floor disorders.

And you don't even have to go to the expense of buying a Squatty Potty (they vary in price from a basic plastic at $29.95 to a top of the range bamboo version at $79.95) as you could use a small step or box instead if it was the right height.

Think about changing the way you carry out this important body function – along with some lifestyle changes - as it may make all the difference to your health.

Perhaps future bathroom designs and trends will reflect such a squatting component?

http://www.amoils.com/health-blog/sq...ural-function/

Default Re: Squatting - is this the better way for a natural function?

I wish I had known these were available last year when my toilet had to be ripped out because plumbing below needed replacement! I've used squat toilets all over the world, from the literal hole in the ground surrounded by flies, to the porcelain models in a high-end Hong Kong restaurant. I truly do prefer them to the Western model. After all, it's how we performed those functions for most of our history.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I will look into getting one of those. My little one has taken to squatting on top of the toilet and will eventually get to big to continue. I am more than willing to try it myself.
    Islander, what I don't get is when you pull your pants down, how do you get them out of the line of fire? My little one currently strips, but that isn't really practical in public rest rooms.
    Last edited by Islander; 05-23-12 at 11:12 AM.

With the squatty potty, your feet are raised a foot or so above the floor so that if the pants are down below the knees or round the ankles, there should be no problem. As I said in my article, a footstool or box should work just as well! The image shows the squatty which then tucks away under the toilet when not in use!

Islander, what I don't get is when you pull your pants down, how do you get them out of the line of fire?
    I drop them to my ankles and pull them forward. Actually this is easier over a squat hole. If you have to pee in the great outdoors, you can end up with your feet in a puddle if you're not careful. Men definitely have the advantage here!

Thanks Jane, but I was really wondering about the hole action. I've only see one while if France. Islander, Peeing in the great outdoors. Pulling the pants forward is still problematic if you don't aim down or something. As a little kid I once aimed right into them... Finding a hill to go on helps with puddling.

Quote Originally Posted by bmc65 View Post
    Islander, Peeing in the great outdoors. Pulling the pants forward is still problematic if you don't aim down or something.
    Hm. Are you low enough to the ground? Maybe it's an anatomical thing...when I squat, my butt nearly touches the ground.

Anytime I engaged in outdoor peeing, it was a back of thys parallel to the ground sort of position. Haven't experienced the outdoor poop yet. For that I would maybe go with the lower squat. But, it's has come clear that the lower squat in general would help with pants staying dry.

Hmm, when your hips and knees are totally messed up...not going to be an option, lol.

This is probably why women wore dresses for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This is probably why women wore dresses for ages.
    But they had to wear knickers, at least some of the time, when they were on the rag. Literally, they had to wear rags. Can you imagine? Whoever invented tampons should be knighted!

I second that Islander.

Do you think women use to bleed less? I was like a mobile crime scene. I can't imagine even carrying on with daily life using just rags.

Found this on Wikipedia and thought it was interesting:
    "As a medical device, the tampon has been around since the 18th century, when antiseptic cotton tampons treated with salicylates were used to stop the bleeding from bullet wounds so that soldiers could survive battle, and there have been reports of modern menstrual tampons being used for the same purpose by soldiers in the Iraq War. It is documented that gynecologist Dr. Judith Esser-Mittag along with her husband Kyle Lucherini developed ... the digital design of tampon. In the late 1940s, Dr. Carl Hahn, together with Heinz Mittag, worked on the mass production of such a tampon. Dr. Hahn sold his company which included the digital-style tampon range to Johnson and Johnson in 1974."

So the knighthood should go to Dr. Judith. Can women be knighted?

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    [SIZE=2]Do you think women use to bleed less? I was like a mobile crime scene. I can't imagine even carrying on with daily life using just rags.
    Heavy bleeding is very frequently related to hypothyroidism especially but also other hormonal imbalances. Unlikely very many women back then suffered with either except maybe as congenital issues. Look at the fluoride, chlorine and bromine forced on the average industrialized women and you know why hypothyroid is so rampant.

My mom, cousins, and my youngest daughter also bleed heavily. I have one cousin who has had days where she just stood in the shower most of the day. My mom grew up in the rural south in the 40s and 50s. I don't think she was exposed to much fluoride or chlorine but I don't know about the rest. My mom (unlike her sister) would soak two thick pads in about an hour. I'm soooooo glad I don't have to deal with that anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information