Thread: Goji Berries Can Help Stop Macular Degeneration

Default Goji Berries Can Help Stop Macular Degeneration

Dr. Robert J. Rowen
    June 13, 2012
    Health Alert E-Mail

Stop macular degeneration in just 90 days

Eye disease is perhaps the biggest concern of my readers. Macular degeneration in particular. Because conventional medicine doesn't offer much hope with macular degeneration, I'm always looking for ways to stop and reverse the disease. I've written about many of the remedies I've found in the past. But today, I have an exciting report about a superfood that protects the macula!

The news comes from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study on 150 healthy elderly subjects. The researchers conducting this study gave goji berries in a proprietary milk-based formulation called "Lacto-Wolfberry." The participants took 13.7 grams/day for 90 days.

After the three months, the researchers compared these participants to those taking a placebo. They found those taking the goji berries had superior macular preservation. Specifically, the placebo group developed hypopigmentation and soft Drusen in the macula, both signs of disease progression. Pigment is a critical part of retina structure. Drusen is waste material.

The goji group remained stable. Furthermore, the goji group enjoyed significant increases in plasma zeaxanthin (25%) and antioxidant capacity (57%). No such improvement was noted in the placebo group. Zeaxanthin is one of the most important bioflavonoid protectors for your retina.

I have not seen this proprietary product for sale anywhere. However, I'm not sure that it's necessary. Goji berries are widely available and are one of the richest sources of these super nutrients on the planet. You might remember that I carried goji berries on my arduous John Muir Trail Trek. I think so highly of these berries that I'm now growing them in my yard.

Feel free to eat as many goji berries as you want. They're great for your eyes and your whole body. I'll have more on this wonderful fruit in the future.

Yours for better health and medical freedom,
    Robert J. Rowen, MD

Ref: Optom Vis Sci, 2010 Dec 16.

www.secondopinionnewsletter.com

Default Re: Goji Berries Can Help Stop Macular Degeneration

Don't forget lots of dark, leafy greens and Vitamin D also!

My thought exactly. Goji berries are a bit exotic. Lots of people, especially urbanites, have no place to grow them, and we in the rust belt couldn't get them to survive the winter. But green leafy veggies are inexpensive and readily available.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

As I understand it, you are zone 4 Islander. This comment I found about growing Gojis suggest that they may grow in your area. They are deciduous.

Goji berry plants can survive winter temperatures as low as -40 celcius (-40 F) and summer temperatures as high as 38 celcius (100 F). The goji berry can survive in zones 2-7, out of this range it is too cold or hot. The goji plant can be grown indoors if outdoor conditions are not favorable, but hand pollination will be required to pollinate the flowers.

Hmm. Maybe I was confusing them with something else, like acai? or a moringa tree?

Since I have access to cranberries and blueberries, strawberries & raspberries, blackberries for wine...I'm not on fire to plant a goji berry bush. Nice to know I could, though, if I wanted to!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

I tried growing them a couple of years ago, in pots. They grew quickly and produced fruit in the first year. But they were so tiny you would need a few dozen to make a mouthful. They don't take up a lot of space, but are very unattractive plants - thorny as well. Gave up in the second year.

The berries are quite cheap in Asian stores, but I read they are coated (or something) with sugar. Also, apparently not the same variety, so probably not a health food.

Thread Information