Thread: Failure to Account for Clinical Trial Drop Outs Results in Skewed Results

Default Failure to Account for Clinical Trial Drop Outs Results in Skewed Results

University of Buffalo (no author listed)
    13 June 2012

A new University at Buffalo study of publications in the world’s top five general medical journals finds that when clinical trials do not account for participants who dropped out, results are biased and may even lead to incorrect conclusions.

Published recently in the British Medical Journal, the methodological study consisted of a systematic analysis of 235 clinical trials published in the world’s top five general medical journals between 2005 and 2007 that claimed a statistically significant effect.

Read more: http://www.newswise.com/articles/ske...dical-journals
    Last edited by Islander; 06-17-12 at 09:20 AM. Reason: italicize journal title

Default Re: Failure to Account for Clinical Trial Drop Outs Results in Skewed Results

Ha. And the degree to which he is right or wrong depends on the accuracy of the statistical methodology he used?

Kidding. But my point is, with all the possible ways that studies can be skewed, how can we ever be certain that any finding is accurate?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: Failure to Account for Clinical Trial Drop Outs Results in Skewed Results

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    But my point is, with all the possible ways that studies can be skewed, how can we ever be certain that any finding is accurate?
    I don't think you can; not with today's methodologies. You have to wait years down to road to see if something is helping or killing.

I think that is a very good question Islander and I also agree with Mellow's response. I advise people to not use a drug unless it has been out for 5 years or more (preferably 10) and also encourage people to observe in their own life situations. Every diabetic that I know that is on the ADA protocol, drugs and insulin are not getting better.
    Islander is the only one I know that has successfully reversed her diabetes and she used nutrition, HCG diet, went gluten-free and eats fairly low carb to maintain good blood sugars. She ignored the conventional care recommendations for diabetes from the start and took control of her own health.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out something wrong with ADA recommendations.

Thread Information