Thread: Wondering about Radiation

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

Default Wondering about Radiation

I'm wondering if i'm being paranoid, but -

I have a cough i can't seem to shake.

I have a long history with chronic bronchitis. Having a deep chest cough was a "normal" experience for me, until i discovered Manuka honey for coughs a little over 18 months ago. It all but healed the deep cough i had chronically, and i had not been ill with it since.

However, for the last month, i have had the old cough, and none of my favorite (and even not-so-favorite and obscure) natural cures is touching it. I thought i was on the mend, but the past 2-3 days it is almost as bad as it was 2 weeks ago. And again, nothing i have tried is helping at all.

In curiosity, i looked up cough and radiation because so much is being said about the radiation coming this direction from Japan. (We are in Southern California.) Most of what i found in that search was related to cancer treatment, but every single one said that cough is (can be) a side-effect of radiation used to treat cancer. I don't know that we have any idea of what the radiation level actually is. I've seen figures all over the map, including this one that says it is at 538% Above Normal:

California Recorded Radiation

It does seem that i'm kind of a "ultra-sensitive barometer" for a number of things. Meaning that if X is a normal response to something, i seem to respond 100X.

Based on the treatments i've done for the last 2 summers, if this was just pollen or allergies, i should have (and in the past did) respond to natural treatments. This time around, however, it is totally ineffective. I mean, does not respond AT ALL.

Am i being paranoid? Is there something i should be doing that i've overlooked?

Default Re: Wondering about Radiation

I have been following the overall radiation/Fukushima news (when I can find any) but have given up trying to monitor radiation readings around the country. Some stations have evidently shut down, some readings are untrustworthy, and then there are sudden inexplicable spikes like the June 8 occurrence in Indiana, and the earlier one (March?) in Chicago. There is no doubt that ambient levels have increased, not just in the U.S. but across the Northern Hemisphere. But consider that pilots and flight attendants experience higher levels of radiation daily, and as a group I'm not aware of higher rates of illness among them. Anyway, because it's beyond my control I refuse to worry, though I like to stay informed.

Sorry, Katee, that was no help, was it? Guess all I can say is that I wouldn't rule it out. Has anything else in your diet or daily routine changed?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

You could have your chiropractor test for radiation overload...

You were very ill — close to if not having had pneumonia. I think it is going to take at least 8-12 weeks to heal the inflammation. Expecting it to be better this soon even with natural remedies is unrealistic in my opinion. I am not discounting radiation — but even if you had not been exposed to any it is going to take 8-12 weeks.

I have been fighting this what I think is the same influenza Katee had for the past 7-8 days and it is nasty. I can tell by the severe reduction in energy and muscle strength it is a major virus that I have not encountered before and it is going to take a good 2 months to rebuild my reserves once it is past. I also got sick when no one else had it so it is a puzzle where I picked it up from.

Katee, I don't think you've overlooked anything as far as treatments go. I don't have a clue about the radiation although my gut tells me it is unlikely to be much of a contributor. I too think you probably had pneumonia and from personal experience, I can promise, be it viral or bacterial, that it takes a minimum of 2 months and usually much longer to get back to baseline. If you have/had mycoplasma (walking) pneumonia, the cough drags on for an even longer time.

:::::smacks self on forehead:::::delayed brain synapse kicks in.....

Looking at time line wonder if the corn spoon bread set you off with relapse......

I would like to know more about radiation. Can anyone tell me about radiation with some examples?

puremind, browsing through this forum might be helpful. You could also use Google to search for background information. We are surrounded by naturally occurring radiation, but after the collapse of the Fukushima plant, levels have increased worldwide.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Veteran Member

Katee, my SO occasionally gets a cough that can linger for months, usually following a cold. He pooh-poohs the idea, but I've read that an illness such as a bad cold can lower resistance to the body's allergy suppressing mechanisms, so that allergens that don't usually bother you can cause a reaction. For instance, you can often be completely unaware of a post nasal drip, particularly if it occurs while you're sleeping, but it can cause a chronic cough until the underlying allergen is eliminated. If you haven't already done so, you might consider using a neti pot every day for a few weeks.

I don't think you're being paranoid unless you've received a considerable amount of direct radiation from medical procedures. On the other hand, I doubt that minuscule amounts of incidental radiation floating on the air from Japan would be the cause of your cough. I'm not trying to trivialize your problem, but I tend to think along the lines of "Occam's Razor"--the simplest explanation is often the correct one.

Thread Information