Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, MA

Default The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, MA

I had been thinking about starting a BlogSpot on a book several of us have been reading called The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, MA so here it is!

I came across the book through a recommendation on FaceBook, and ordered it from the library.
    I started reading it, and was astounded at how many problems were linked to lack of neurotransmitters in the brain and how nutrition could correct them. (Ms. Ross has over 30 years of experience as a psychotherapist, clinic director and pioneer in the field of nutritional psychology.) The Mood Cure sets forth what problems lack of neurotransmitters in the brain cause, how to correct them with nutrition and supplements, and gives a well-thought out experienced protocol to do so. The book is very easy to read and has a wealth of case histories to illustrate how nutritional therapy can help correct moods and problems caused by lack of neurotransmitters.

I took the 4-part Mood Type Questionnaire in the book (based on 15 years of thousands of patient interviews and hundreds of research papers) and flunked! I was low in serotonin, catecholemines, GABA and endorphins. Since I was already on an organic diet high in good brain fats and protein and supplemented with the vitamins and minerals Ms. Ross recommended I just started with the amino acids.

You can take the Mood Type Questionnaire online at:
    http://www.moodcure.com/take_the_mood_type_questionnaire.html
    6 weeks later.........
    Last edited by Islander; 04-05-12 at 09:22 AM.

Default Re: The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, MA

I noticed improvement within a week, and over the past 6 weeks have seen:

Improved Sleep:
    Before the amino acids I would sleep for an hour or two, wake up and toss or turn and then go back to sleep. After starting the aminos, I am sleeping 4 hours at a stretch and waking up much more rested and refreshed. (This is very unusual for someone with CFIDS ( I have been fighting CFIDS for over 20 years) as un-refreshing sleep is a key symptom.)

Improved Mood

Not as sluggish with the time change

Hair 50% Less Grey (hairline and eyebrows)

Skin Changes:
    Before starting on the aminos I had rough bumpy skin on my forearms. One day I went to change my shirt and noticed the rough bumps almost gone.

Concentration:
    My focus/concentration has improved over 50%. I can now write bills or a report like this in the afternoon, or make a phone call if I need to.

My scores were all either 0 or 3 which was under the threshold in each case. Unless I come across the book at a bargain price, it is probably not worth my while getting it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    My scores were all either 0 or 3 which was under the threshold in each case. Unless I come across the book at a bargain price, it is probably not worth my while getting it at the moment.
    Yay for you, Aaltrude! Those are good scores!

Wait a minute.
    Forget the mood- less gray?? (BTW, what is the difference between grey, and grey??? ) I'm uh buyin' da book!
    I just came from the hair salon, and my eyes are stinging from the high amounts of ammonia.

I have no idea what the aminos did but my grey/gray hair at temples and hairline has decreased by 50% and my "salt and pepper" eyebrows have less "salt".
    Sam, you can do the questionnaire for free at the link at the start of the thread — it is really good for pinpointing what your problems might be.

I've been on them at least a month, maybe longer. I also flunked big time on all parts of the questionnaire with GABA and serotonin being the worst. I pretty much implemented the same program Reesacat did. Things I have noticed:
    1. I sleep!!! For over a year, my sleep had been really messed up. I was sleeping 2 to 3 hours on a good night and sometimes going 2 to 3 days without really falling asleep. Within 2 weeks, I was regularly sleeping 4 to 5 hours at a stretch and sometimes get 6 or 7 hours total sleep. Instead of going to bed between 2 and 3 AM, most nights I'm asleep by 1AM. Like Reesacat, I am beginning to feel like I've actually slept. I'm feeling more like the old me, wake up in the morning, alert and ready to go.

2. I'm calmer. I tend to get angry easily. Usually the anger is warranted but that doesn't mean I need to get angry. Then, I get mean. That is greatly improved. I'm much more able to stay calm and focused and I'm actually beginning to accept that the rest of the world is rarely going to live up to my standards. My feelings get easily hurt...I'm able to laugh at things now and go on. Although I wasn't depressed, I do feel happier.

3. All the fish oil and vitamin A and D etc were doing nothing for my dry, very bumpy skin. The bumps are almost gone. Wish my hair was losing the gray like Reesacat, lol.

4. I have written more articles in the past month than in the past 6 months. I can sit at the computer and comprehend what I'm reading and put things together in a cohesive article.

5. I was able to walk away from a literal addiction to a Facebook game and haven't looked back.

6. On another thread Katee mentioned that while she didn't have more energy, she was better able to use the energy she did have. I have to echo that.

7. I have a neurotic dog. To make a long story short, I started using 5-HTP on him and, he is calming down. I was at the point of trying to find him another home because he was more than I could handle and has caused me to fall a few times. He has some very strange behaviors too and is dog aggressive. He weighs a whopping 8lbs but will attack a 100lb dog. If things keep up like this, he can stay

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    I've been on them at least a month, maybe longer.
    What have you been on at least a month?

I scored low on all of them, what the heck??? Do I have a low level problem with everything??
    I have a bad Coca-Cola addiction that I cannot seem to walk from, no how bad it makes me feel- what the heck is that???
    I have about 12 ounces a day. It's like heroin to me. What does that come from??? I have been drinking Coke since I was 3. What do I do?? I have to get my teeth professionally cleaned every 6 months, and I cannot seem to kick this habit. I am critical of those that use tobacco, anxiolytics, or booze. Hell, I am no better!

Get the book Sam -- using amino acids you can kick the Coke addiction.
    The aminos will make lots of good happy brain chemicals so you won't crave the Coke.
    Mellow and I also were low on everything.
    I think my low amimos were from years of leaky gut malabsorption (a lot of that was undiagnosed gluten sensitivity).

I'm borderline on most of these but especially #2 (the cats) and #4 (the endorphins). Remember when I went skydiving? The endorphins from that carried over into the whole day following that adventure — what a great mood elevator! Gotta get to work on that one pronto! Woo-hoo! What a great book!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    What have you been on at least a month?
    The amino acids recommended in the book.

Can anyone comment on the Braggs' product, Liquid Aminos? Is it merely a seasoning, like soy sauce, or is there some therapeutic value there?
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Can anyone comment on the Braggs' product, Liquid Aminos? Is it merely a seasoning, like soy sauce, or is there some therapeutic value there?
    It does have 16 amino acids in it; however in the amounts you would use, there would be no therapeutic benefit. 310mg protein per 1/2 tsp...that's not much.

Another bit of good news....
    My semi-feral outdoor cat Toby got a nasty flea infection in the middle of January last winter.
    I used the diatomaceous earth Mellow and Katee told me about inside the heated Cat Palace and the fleas were gone. But he still had some hot spots, so an OTC homeopathic remedy was clearing that up....but then he started losing hair on his flanks. We had some other feral cats coming around marking territory and I noticed Toby was increasingly nervous and agitated.
    When I read in The Mood Cure about giving tryptophan to African parrots to stop them from plucking out their feathers, I thought maybe Toby was having some sort of nutritional deficit since the other true feral cat, Callie, had never had the fleas or hot spots. (She has only had one vaccination which I had to give her when we live-trapped her to get her neutered and hunts regularly.) Toby showed up as a stray but had been someone's pet and probably had been vaccinated. He was vaccinated while my husband was alive, but I stopped with vaccines for the cats after he passed away.
    I started giving Toby freeze-dried chicken as a treat 3 times a day and a week later his hair was growing back in on his flanks. 2 weeks later it started getting thick, and his behavior was calmer. 3 weeks later getting his coat is still filling in and now his fur has that lovely sheen on the tips that healthy cats have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information