Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got Milk? You Don’t Need It

Default Re: Got Milk? You Don’t Need It

Our local Farmers Market here in the centre of Cape Town supplies us with butter from raw milk (only a little more expensive than normal butter) and has recently been offering raw milk. This works out about twice the cost of regular milk but it is brought in from quite a distance. We only have milk in sauces and on oats etc so it lasts several days. I used to drink a glass of milk every morning for breakfast until about 15 years ago when I suddenly could not stand the thought of it any more - made me feel I was going to gag and that is when I changed to black tea with lemon. Both my granddaughters seem to have developed an allergy to dairy and do not have it any more - but of course it could be what is in the pasturised dairy products.

This is off the top of my memory and may not be 100% correct but:
    Studies have shown that protein from ultra pasteurized milk is not absorbed as well as that from pasteurized. Serum nitrogen is higher however after consumption of ultra pasteurized vs pasteurized which would indicate the proteins are denatured (chemical bonds broken). All heat treatment (pasteurization and ultra pasteurization) only affects whey protein, not casein. There is much more loss of nutrients when milk is ultra pasteurized. Heat treatments make the B12 present in milk unavailable for absorption. Ultra pasteurization effectively sterilizes the milk. No bacteria can survive the temps used.

Something else that needs to be thrown into the mix is A1 vs A2 beta-casein. A2 is the original casein protein present in milk yet virtually all grocery store milk, organic included, comes from Holsteins which are completely A1. The more A2, the better most people tolerate the milk.

Quote Originally Posted by sollyb View Post
    but I have some mild problems from milk (mucous in throat)
    This was the early warning I had that I could not tolerate milk sollyb. It has now reached a point where I feel quite ill if I consume milk.

The more A2, the better most people tolerate the milk.
    Initially I did better with A2 milk but now I do not tolerate either A1 or A2.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaltrude View Post
    Initially I did better with A2 milk but now I do not tolerate either A1 or A2.
    I did fine with raw milk kefir from Jersey cows (they have a lot of A2) for nearly 4 years. After all that time, I started getting serious sinus congestion with it. I stopped for a month or more 3 or 4 times before I convinced myself I really was reacting and went dairy free altogether. I started having problems with cheese about a year before having issues with milk. The cheese was Kerry Gold Dubliner...which is from grass fed cows in Ireland but the breed they use is mostly A1 like Holsteins.

Speaking of which, I buy the Kerry Gold butterwhen I can get it, but their cheese is $11-12/lb., out of my range!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Speaking of which, I buy the Kerry Gold butterwhen I can get it, but their cheese is $11-12/lb., out of my range!
    I'm no longer near a Costco but they sold 2 lb blocks for $10.99. There's not a Costco here but my daughter said Sam's sells it for about that price. Don't know how far you live from either of those but I'm sure quite a ways but maybe next time you go somewhere, you could get some.

I am having a Costco withdrawal problem, as well. Surprising how dependent I had become on going to that store for reasonably priced, wholesome food!

Hah. There are no Costcos in Maine.

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Hah. There are no Costcos in Maine.
    Do they at least have a Sam's Club? I miss Costco. They had a fair amount of organic stuff. Although I've yet to go into Sam's (partly due to aversion to WalMart, lol), I've been told they don't have much.

Yes, there's a Sam's Club an hours drive away. We had a business membership back when we had a business, but even then you had to be aware of the market, because not all their pricing was a bargain. In terms of consumer goods, like food items, shampoo, laundry stuff, most was in bulk packs (e.g. 6 bags, 8 boxes) and there was very little that I used. I suppose a large family who ate the SAD could save some bux....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information