Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Milk? You Don’t Need It

Default Got Milk? You Don’t Need It

July 7, 2012,
    By MARK BITTMAN

Drinking milk is as American as Mom and apple pie. Until not long ago, Americans were encouraged not only by the lobbying group called the American Dairy Association but by parents, doctors and teachers to drink four 8-ounce glasses of milk, “nature’s perfect food,” every day. That’s two pounds! We don’t consume two pounds a day of anything else; even our per capita soda consumption is “only” a pound a day.
    But in addition to intolerance, there’s a milk allergy — the second most common food allergy after peanuts, affecting an estimated 1.3 million children — that can be life-threatening.

Read more: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...-dont-need-it/

Default Re: Got Milk? You Don’t Need It

While this article has some good points, some of the argument is asinine! Milk is approximately 88% water, so talking about its weight is ridiculous. I think dairy tolerance, like just about everything else, is individual. If you have symptoms switch to raw milk (or low temp pasteurized) from 100% grass fed cows. Still have symptoms give it up. A lot of the problem with conventional milk is the antibiotics and hormones, along with heat actually changing the protein. Yes, drinking large quantities of milk give a sugar load but aged cheeses and fermented (HOME fermented, not store bought) have very little sugar. Most yogurt you buy is a farce. It's been fermented just a few hours, the loaded with thickeners. There aren't enough live organisms to make much difference.

One comment in this article though is spot on. Those countries with the highest dairy consumption also have the highest incidence of osteoporosis. To me this fact alone is very telling. I go along with the point of view that milk is for the infant animal, not the adult.

I recently saw a photo of a kid (human) nursing from a cow. I wish I had saved it because it was so weird looking.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I like milk. I like cream. I like butter. I like cheese. I like cottage cheese. I tolerate yogurt. I purchase the milk, cream, butter and cheese raw almost all the time and the other two i rarely eat. I don't think that it is a problem. For some it is. Not going to convince me that (raw, pastured) milk is 100% bad for 100% of the population.

As a (mostly) vegetarian, it is a prime source of animal product for me.

How odd that the milk was measured in 'pounds', not pints! Very strange.

The reference to pounds in the article may have been to make a point, but in dairies milk is measured in pounds, always has been. Maybe that's because weight is easier to measure than fluid indicators, like gallons? A cow's production has always been measured in pounds of milk.

Long story, try to shorten it. Largest dairy farmer in state of Maine, 4000 head, lives not far from me, has rented over 1600 acres in my town growing RR corn. Researched him, found he sells to Agrimark, biggest co-op in N'east. Where does most of Agrimark's milk go? Cabot cheese. Rest of it? To other processors ...which means any dairy I buy may come from cows who are fed GM corn. And I'll bet that's true everywhere. So...I have a source of raw organic milk, butter, cheese. I've begun making my own sour cream, yoghurt, cottage cheese. It's easy, tastes better, why have I not always done it? (Did it years ago when we had milk cows). And I'm fairly confident that my own 2 patches of organic heirloom corn are far enough away from the GM fields to avoid contamination.
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Katee and Islander I'm jealous of your raw milk, cream, cheese and butter. In Colorado one has to purchase part ownership in a cow in order to get raw milk which I wouldn't mind doing if it were local and affordable but the last time I checked I'd have to pay about $40 per month for one gallon per week and drive about four hours round trip each week to get it. Boo.

I think I miss dairy longer than I ever missed grains, lol. I had access to raw milk and drank it for 4 years (as kefir)...then my body decided it didn't like it anymore. Didn't have access to raw cheese but I did to low temp pasteurized. I agree with Katee that dairy, especially raw, from grass fed cows can't be bad for 100% of the population. I believe kefir played a huge role in reversing osteoporosis and healing my gut.

Big Bear, CA (tiny town in the mountains)

I do have access to it, but i pay a high price. The milk i prefer (there are two dairies here in CA; one bottles in glass, the other plastic) runs close to $20 a gallon. A pint of cream from either dairy is over $10. So while i use it, i don't use a lot. It isn't available in my town, either. However, we travel off the mountain often enough i can get it without making a special trip. There is a lady here in town who will go buy it, but my usage of dairy varies significantly. I don't want to buy a lot and then not use it.

So, on occasion, if i really want cream but am not somewhere i can get the good stuff, i will buy organic, pasteurized cream. Or if it is being used to bake/cook i will use pasteurized milk as i don't want to use the expensive, "good stuff" for something that won't have the good bacteria anyway.

Katee, that's jaw-dropping. I pay $7/gal. for raw organic. And you do know you can freeze it, right? I never use an entire gallon fast enough; I freeze it in one-cup amounts so it's ready measured for recipes or whatever.

Milk makes many people sick. I am one of them.

Some people also feel strongly that milk is an infant food and that traditionally, children were weaned by the age of 5 at the latest.

Just a comment: I have read that some people who cannot tolerate raw milk or even pasteurized milk do well with ultra-pasteurized milk. Maybe due to the (I am guessing) further altered proteins? My son was allergic to milk in infancy and toddlerhood but could eat tons of cheese with no problems. His pediatrician at the time speculated it was due to the altered proteins.

I am currently in the state of mind that I am not about to give up dairy, but I have some mild problems from milk (mucous in throat), and have gone back to goat milk, ultrapasteurized. So far it does seem to cause much less problem. Too bad it costs $16 per gallon instead of the $3.29 per gallon that regular cow's milk costs. I'd like to try Organic Valley milk but can't get it here. (I can only get mail order powdered organic valley milk)

I have the reverse notion: that the more pasteurized, the fewer health-promoting substances remain from the original product. Ew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information