Thread: "Green Deals" resource

Default "Green Deals" resource

Some good ideas here: http://www.greendeals.org/green-tip

Took me a minute to figure out that "lone dry" was a typo. "Line" dry, of course!
    ➤ Happiness is the frosting on the cake of contentment.

Default Re: "Green Deals" resource

"Use fluorescent light bulbs" NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! They are NOT environmentally friendly as they contain mercury and you basically need a haz mat team to safely clean up a broken one! Also, they trigger migraines and even seizures in sensitive people. Use the newer conventional light bulbs or LED (although I've been hearling LED lights aren't all that wonderful either).

"Seek out BPA free products" This does not go far enough. There are articles here that tell you the truth about BPA. The substances used to replace it are also estrogenic and may be worse than BPA. Although no plastic is truly safe, polypropylene and polyethylene seem to use the least hazardous materials and leach the least toxins.

With that said, I do probably 90% or more of what applies to me.

A friend sent me the link. Scrolling through, I found I already do most of the best ones, and there are some I actively disagree with (e.g. dryer sheets and like you, twisty light bulbs. Those light bulbs will do nothing for climate change, either!). But there are some useful and resourceful ideas there and they may be new to a lot of our readers.

'Repair rather than replace'. Huh, I wish! Apart from some items like washing machines, computers, etc, most things cost too much to repair, much as I would like to.

Other than that, I think I do pretty much all of these.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by mellowsong View Post
    "Use fluorescent light bulbs" NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!! They are NOT environmentally friendly as they contain mercury and you basically need a haz mat team to safely clean up a broken one! Also, they trigger migraines and even seizures in sensitive people. Use the newer conventional light bulbs or LED (although I've been hearling LED lights aren't all that wonderful either).
    Absolutely! It bugs me the way people are convinced the fluorescents are the way to go, and are super environmentally friendly. Yes, they last longer and in the long run probably save money on light bulbs, but for all the reasons you mentioned they are not worth it.

I have 2-3 that I bought back when I thought they were environmentally safe. I use them now in hard-to-reach places where they are not turned on often. Until I get rid of the last one, that seems to be the best application for them.

I bought one about 20 years ago and paid $30 -I still have it, though it's not used much. Such a good litle greenie! Other bulbs have been replaced with halogen lights. LED lights are rather harsh, too white, with no warmth.

I found you can buy full spectrum lights in Oz relatively cheaply from places that sell reptiles (what's the right word?). They are available in 1' and 2' sizes, but wouldn't post the 2' to me - too fragile. That's the size of my fittings (to relace an old-fashioned fluorscent light), so I was a bit disappointed.

Thread Information