Thread: Pearls of Wisdom From a CFS Physician

Default Pearls of Wisdom From a CFS Physician

LUCINDA BATEMAN, MD
    CFIDS Chronicle; Spring 2008

Recently I was talking to the nurse practitioner I just hired to work in my fatigue clinic.
    Bemoaning a transient feeling of burnout, I groaned, “I am so tired of slow scientific
    progress and of not being able to help my CFS patients.” Having worked in the clinic
    for almost three months—an immersion training in complex chronic illness that’s been challenging yet revelatory—my nurse practitioner smiled as she said, “I hear you, but I don’t agree that there is nothing that helps. Again and again, as I’ve become familiar with CFS patients and their condition, they’ve said to me, ‘You may think this sounds bad, but I’m so much better than I used to be!’”

This statement reminds me of what I already know but sometimes forget: there are many
    ways to improve the situation of patients with CFS, even if a cure is not yet within our reach.
    Read more: http://www.cfids.org/cfidslink/2008/070906.pdf

Default Re: Pearls of Wisdom From a CFS Physician

Excellent article! Among the CFIDS/ME survivors that do well and take control of their life I have seen them do #1: Build Emotional Resilience. They refuse to be a victim and in spite of family and friends not believing they are really sick cope and transform their lives and those of us who are blessed to know them.

Default Re: Pearls of Wisdom From a CFS Physician

Quote Originally Posted by Reesacat View Post
    Excellent article! Among the CFIDS/ME survivors that do well and take control of their life I have seen them do #1: Build Emotional Resilience. They refuse to be a victim and in spite of family and friends not believing they are really sick cope and transform their lives and those of us who are blessed to know them.
    I totally agree with what you are saying. I'd like to add physicians to friends and family who don't believe. Sometimes that is even harder to deal with.

Thread Information